Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My -19 Desert Sled just passed break in period and this winter it will get some upgrades, mainly exhaust and the MWR powerUp kit. So there is a couple of options for remapping the Scrambler engine:

Rexxer
PowerCommander
Tuneboy

I know I missed some :) So, as I understand it I could either buy a Rexxer and have them 'guess' the fuelling or go for the PowerCommander and do a proper map for my engine. Also the Tuneboy box gives me the possibility to remap properly ?

Seems that almost everyone uses the Rexxer mod and I assume that is is becuase it is cheaper than powercommander and a day in the dyno to remap ?

The professional Rexxer stuff seems really expensive so that is not an option.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not an expert and if I guess the proper terminology I'll probably get it wrong but my understanding was that the Power Commander is kind of limited in what it can do (can't deactivate O2 sensors?). Also you need it attached the whole time.

The Rexxer uploads then disconnects, no reason why you'd need the professional tools. Either sending the ECU away or buying their User box are both options

·
Registered
771 Posts
There are places that will do a custom map using the Rexxer. The Rexxer kit is just a bit of hardware used to bypass Ducati's security lockdown on the ECU. If someone has the unit they can adjust the mappings as they please.

The cheap option most people have used (including myself) from Rexxer is buying a license and downloading a pre-configured map, created on a dyno using similar parts to I had installed.

There may well be a Rexxer map tuned specifically for use with the MWR powerup kit, which could be an easy option. Pretty much all exhausts for the Scrambler flow similarly enough that the standard maps work fine.
PowerCommander probably is the easiest option for a custom dyno tune if no one local has a Rexxer pro unit.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I think by far the best option is always a custom map. In fact I’ve just had one done on an MV Brutale after downloading the recommended map for my application, it was nowhere near correct. I also know that if you take two equal bikes and dyno them the maps are nowhere near the same although running ok which tells me that generic maps are at best ‘ball-park’ but usually way off.
An individual map like Power Commander PC5 will always work better for each bike plus after buying the unit you can dyno the bike and change the map anytime you feel like it or down/upload generic maps, you can even store the proper dyno run map, save it on your PC and then play around with a custom one (adding, removing fuel) to see how bad you can make it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, they all seem to be in line with my thoughts.

According to the Rexxer web there no tuner in Sweden where I live at all so PowerCommander seems to be the solution for getting the bike properly mapped. I dont mind having it connected all the time :)

There is a good speedshop 50km away that does Dynojet stuff, might go there in the winter. Also I have an aquaintance that is building his own dyno rig and it is almost done now. Gonna take the old 749 there and have a go at it, if he does a proper job whit that I might take the sled there too :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your other option is the Rexxer Evo User

Rexxer send you the box, using that you connect to the ECU download your stock map from the and then email it to them. They send you back a custom map and you upload it to your ECU. Once all finished the box can be unplugged.

At least from my research in the UK it wasn't much more expensive than a PCV and a dyno. It also allows you to get a new map if you change parts, reset service codes, check error codes and switch back to stock map prior to services etc.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I think that’s the problem in a nutshell. The Rexxer map is anything but ‘custom’. It’s just generic and I would put money on that if a bike with the uploaded Rexxer map were to go on a dyno it would be miles out from perfect.
The bike (if there ever was one) they used to create the generic map may have been spot on though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get the procedure of the Rexxer, it's like most of the more expensive piggyback/chipping for cars I have seen around here. More or less good guesswork. A rexxer box is about 550EUR including shipping and a PC V is 800EUR including dyno mapping at the local speedshop. So yes the proper mapping is more expensive , as would be expected :)

The upside will be that it will tuned exactly to my engine :) I doubt that I will change anything significant on the engine after the map anyway, this is in the end my go-get-ice-cream bike so just want to be a bit more loud and a bit livelier engine. Seriously tune a naturally aspirated engine is hard and expensive work and if this bike is still in the garage in 5 years I might have a go at that. Get hold of the biggest engine that will fit and go from there :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think that’s the problem in a nutshell. The Rexxer map is anything but ‘custom’. It’s just generic and I would put money on that if a bike with the uploaded Rexxer map were to go on a dyno it would be miles out from perfect.
The bike (if there ever was one) they used to create the generic map may have been spot on though.
I was among the first to get a Rexxer Evo unit for a scrambler back in 2015. Rexxer.eu had a scrambler they were trying different things on. Loads of emails between them and myself as they created their maps based on how you have made changes and the 2 maps I got from them run great on my bike but then again I did basically copy them and added a bmc air filter, end can and omit the 02 sensors. Yes a custom map would get the best out of the set up as every engine is different from what I understand but am more than happy with the maps I have

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought I’d share my experience with sending the ECU into Rexxer in the case that anyone is interested. So...I had ditched the stock muffler setup, added a K&N filter, and removed both O2 sensors as well as the evap canister on my 2019 Cafe Racer. All was working perfectly fine. I then sent the ECU into Rexxer due to the lean air/fuel setup from factory knowing these slight mods wouldn’t help the matter. Apparently there were some hiccups that Rexxer needed to work through that the 2019 units were presenting and so I was without a ride for several weeks. Once the ECU made it back home and plugged in, the bike ran fine but now with the Check Engine Light on. The bike has less than 200 miles on it and both Rexxer and myself are confused as to why I’m seeing a CEL, especially considering the light remains even after plugging the O2 sensors back in. Apparently other 2019 ECU’s have had a similar tune without fault. I’ve never tuned an ECU before and know very little about the process aside from the purpose. That being said, if anyone has any info or suggestions to offer, I would be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought I’d share my experience with sending the ECU into Rexxer in the case that anyone is interested. So...I had ditched the stock muffler setup, added a K&N filter, and removed both O2 sensors as well as the evap canister on my 2019 Cafe Racer. All was working perfectly fine. I then sent the ECU into Rexxer due to the lean air/fuel setup from factory knowing these slight mods wouldn’t help the matter. Apparently there were some hiccups that Rexxer needed to work through that the 2019 units were presenting and so I was without a ride for several weeks. Once the ECU made it back home and plugged in, the bike ran fine but now with the Check Engine Light on. The bike has less than 200 miles on it and both Rexxer and myself are confused as to why I’m seeing a CEL, especially considering the light remains even after plugging the O2 sensors back in. Apparently other 2019 ECU’s have had a similar tune without fault. I’ve never tuned an ECU before and know very little about the process aside from the purpose. That being said, if anyone has any info or suggestions to offer, I would be greatly appreciative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts