Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I attempted removal of the panels today to send them off for powder coating. The decal is actually made of metal (I thought it was plastic or rubber) so handle it with care otherwise it will bend out of shape easily. It is glued solidly onto the panel, the glue is a kind of rubbery/foamy stuff which really sticks! I guess Ducati want you to mess it up so you have to spend £42 on another set. I tried all kinds of ways to remove it - hair dryer and plastic credit card, fishing line, nothing was effective so what I ended up doing was to CAREFULLY prise the end of the decal away from the panel and cut the adhesive with a very sharp, very thin kitchen knife (has to have sharpness of a Stanley blade). Aiming the cut towards the decal not the panel! This proved effective and I then had to figure out how the panel was attached to the tank once I undid the screw as I didn't want to be pushing/pulling the wrong way! It seemed to slide on backwards so I wrapped a towel around the panel to avoid scratching the tank and with a bit of wriggling it came off (phew!). Then had to try to remove all the glue residue which took me a fair while with lots of white spirit and a plastic credit card. Interestingly, despite all the hard scratching I was doing with the card, there was not a mark on the panels - whereas a few rides with my leather trouser seam catching it caused a large scratched area! Anyway here is a pictorial for those interested :

Glue left after removal of decal

Underside of the decal filled with this glue, have no idea what it is but it is very effective!

Underside of the panel showing the screw hole, two grommets which push onto two tabs on the tank, and the tab to slide backwards

Rear tab

Tank

Tab locates into this

Glue residue on panel

After cleaning

Little red Icon naked

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow very interesting, thanks... so what have you done with the panel? And are you recycling that sticker or is it not possible given the residue of that stickie stuff?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow very interesting, thanks... so what have you done with the panel? And are you recycling that sticker or is it not possible given the residue of that stickie stuff?
The panels are going to be powder coated with a 'textured' black, and I'll find a way of sticking the badge back on - I'll see if I can stick double sided tape such as that used to stick number plates, but need to find out if I can stick it directly onto what's left or whether I have to try and remove it all (that won't be easy!).

Will update with pics when it's done :)

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
That's interesting. I didn't realise the side panel was screwed on.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The panels are going to be powder coated with a 'textured' black, and I'll find a way of sticking the badge back on - I'll see if I can stick double sided tape such as that used to stick number plates, but need to find out if I can stick it directly onto what's left or whether I have to try and remove it all (that won't be easy!).

Will update with pics when it's done :)
I have just bought this stuff to attach a headlight protector as I didn't trust the type supplied.
Worth you considering and would make the side panels easier to remove next time round, maybe sooner than you hope.
It comes in different strengths and shapes, white or black. I bought strips but round pads are available.

Velcro.jpg

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just bought this stuff to attach a headlight protector as I didn't trust the type supplied.
Worth you considering and would make the side panels easier to remove next time round, maybe sooner than you hope.
It comes in different strengths and shapes, white or black. I bought strips but round pads are available.

View attachment 689
Good idea! The panels aren't stuck on, just the decals. I think I may invest in some of that, stupid idea to keep glueing them :rolleyes:. Where did you get the trips from Hui?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Good idea! The panels aren't stuck on, just the decals. I think I may invest in some of that, stupid idea to keep glueing them :rolleyes:. Where did you get the trips from Hui?
'Hobbycraft' in Inverness, I think they have stores all over. I was looking for the receipt as I only bought it yesterday and must have thrown it away, I'm sure it was £3or4
I already have stuff similar from Tesco ? but it doesen't grip itself as well.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've been wondering about those panels, thank you for the pictures and details.

Sarah

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Well done Gill looking good, nice job,
There's a hobby craft at Bridgemere Gardens Gill,
You need sticky stuff remover for the double sided foam, Halfords sell the foam in different thicknesses ,

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done Gill looking good, nice job,
There's a hobby craft at Bridgemere Gardens Gill,
You need sticky stuff remover for the double sided foam, Halfords sell the foam in different thicknesses ,
Aah that's what I need, we had a Hobbycraft in Shrewsbury but don't think it's there now, although we do have other craft shops. Will look in Halfords tomorrow! Panels are back on now, just got to sort the decals

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Aah that's what I need, we had a Hobbycraft in Shrewsbury but don't think it's there now, although we do have other craft shops. Will look in Halfords tomorrow! Panels are back on now, just got to sort the decals
Panels back on ? where's the photo ?
Did you go for the textured finish ?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Panels back on ? where's the photo ?
Did you go for the textured finish ?
Yes I did go for the textured black, too dark to take pics by the time I'd sorted them and also have to get the decals on as they look a bit plain without! Pics tomorrow hopefully :)

I'm really hoping my legs don't rub the panels, as with them being textured they might end up smooth :rolleyes: - still, it won't be the end of the world as I can always change them again :)

Now got to decide whether to spray the exhaust cover ..

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
[QUOTE="littleowl, post: 9213, member: 457":)

I'm really hoping my legs don't rub the panels, as with them being textured they might end up smooth :rolleyes: - still, it won't be the end of the world as I can always change them again :)
[/QUOTE]

Crazy Frog !!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[QUOTE="littleowl, post: 9213, member: 457":)

Crazy Frog !![/QUOTE]
I did actually keep looking at my leg while I was riding today to see where it was rubbing lol - as I didn't have the panels on and was worried about the paint on the tank! :rolleyes: It didn't seem to make any mark, I'm wondering whether lowering the seat had an extra positive effect :)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
So ! You've had the lowered seat now ! have you ? what's it like Gill ?

Great write up and pics by the way,

·
Registered
219 Posts
What sort of moulding tape are you guys using to re-apply the side badges? Velcro would stick out too far for my liking, visually. 3M makes various colors (red, green) so what is working best for thickness and adhesion? I've seen some photos of bikes with no badges and just the screw there. I think eventually I'll just go that route because it's ridiculous that they sell the bike as being supposedly simple to swap out parts when it's not more simple than any other motorcycle ever made.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What sort of moulding tape are you guys using to re-apply the side badges? Velcro would stick out too far for my liking, visually. 3M makes various colors (red, green) so what is working best for thickness and adhesion? I've seen some photos of bikes with no badges and just the screw there. I think eventually I'll just go that route because it's ridiculous that they sell the bike as being supposedly simple to swap out parts when it's not more simple than any other motorcycle ever made.
I used a marine adhesive but it was a little slow in the set-up and takes 24 to 48 hrs to cure. I'd probably look for something that sets quicker next time...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts