Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I fitted the Classic logo, these are a lot more substantial than the Icon logos , look much nicer too, It only took me 40 min to do both sides,
First i heated them up with a small heat gun, sawed them off with fine twine, warmed the glue/foam and rolled it off with my thumb, Painted on sticky stuff remover, then went over to the other side while it soaked in ,

When I went back over, the glue etc had completely melted , just a few rubs with the credit card and a wipe over with brake cleaner and it was ready to fix the new logo,

Remember to tape a line around the top and side so you can put them back in a similar position ,;)

· Registered
66 Posts
Interesting scenario........I am picking up my red Icon on Friday. It has been displayed in the dealership with lots of the add-ons such as Termi pipe, Scrambler luggage, all the little pie-end trim etc and it has the carbon tank panels. The bike was offered with all these without a fitting charge (as they are all already fitted), but if I didnt want them they would replace all the standard parts for me (no charge of course). I chose to save money and just go for the standard bike with a pipe upgrade.They have now left me a message to say the tank panels are hard to remove so would I like them on the bike instead of the originals at an extra cost of £95. While this is not much and I had already considered the black panels, are they really that hard to remove? is it all about risk of damage? Should I go for the carbon and have this as a cheap personal mod? I suppose if they also supply me with the original steel panels, I can decide later and get a return on the carbon ones.........What do we think??

· Registered
240 Posts
The original (aluminum) panels and stock emblems are not hard to remove without damaging the finish. The same may not be true of the carbon panels, I just don't know. The finish may mar easily. Or it may be that the carbon panels themselves are more likely to crack in process of removing the emblems.

A factor you should maybe consider is that the finish of the aluminum panels is easily marred if you tend to ride hugging the tank with your knees. I don't know how the carbon panels hold up in this regard; it's actually the polyurethane coating that gets worn quickly on the stock pieces, and I don't know if the carbon is coated similarly or if the coating may be more robust.

· Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the info. Cant make my mind up still. Sounds like the price differential should indicate that the carbon panels should at least be of a superior build quality and not mar as easily, so I may just go with them. Think I'll ask them to waive the price though. I just want to get the machine home so I can stare at it....

· Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone tried removing the paint and polishing these aluminum covers? I ordered the chrome covers back in May and am still waiting... I was told they would be in at the dealer on Dec 15th today:( So am I am thinking it is time to start polishing!

· Registered
97 Posts
Has anyone tried removing the paint and polishing these aluminum covers? I ordered the chrome covers back in May and am still waiting... I was told they would be in at the dealer on Dec 15th today:( So am I am thinking it is time to start polishing!
I was thinking of fabricating stainless steel side panels to match Zard pipes will need something to cover the screw

Attachments

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.