Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a scrambler for sale that I am somewhat interested in, but the guy says it didn't get the first service because it is not due yet at 1900 miles.

Is this a big deal? Akropovic exhaust, so may have been run hard. Maybe not.

What are your thoughts on this and what is a good price for a 2017 Red Desert Sled as mentioned.

I'd like to give $7k, but that is on the low side I believe. Maybe not if that first oil change wasn't done.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I found a scrambler for sale that I am somewhat interested in, but the guy says it didn't get the first service because it is not due yet at 1900 miles.

Is this a big deal? Akropovic exhaust, so may have been run hard. Maybe not.

What are your thoughts on this and what is a good price for a 2017 Red Desert Sled as mentioned.

I'd like to give $7k, but that is on the low side I believe. Maybe not if that first oil change wasn't done.
I don't really know much about actual values.
The 1st service is the most important of all (in my opinion). It removes the 'running in' oil which could or is full of any particulates including clutch dust after wear in. It will also get any due firmware updates. On saying that, cars don't seem to have the same requirements but remember that cars don't share their engine oil with the gearbox or have a wet clutch.
I think you should drop the price even if it's just to be fair to all the other sellers who have paid good cash for servicing otherwise we could all just not bother as we will get the same as a tight arse who didn't care.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, that is my thought on the first oil change/service as well.

I just got another correspondence today, and he is not the first owner as I thought. It may have been done. That leads me to question why so many owners so early in it's life. I guess stuff happens. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a gem, or waste a bunch of time chasing the dream. 250 mile round trip, get a friend to drive etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've seen a few bikes for sale over here with very low mileage (all brands). I get the impression some folk 'think' they want a bike and when they get one find out it's not for them. This happened to a mate of mine - got a very good deal on a Triumph cruiser thing. Never rode it much at all. Said it was due to it being too heavy and would likely get a Sixty2. Ended up with a Vespa and is more than happy.

I mean obviously be careful but I think there are genuine reasons some bikes have a very low mileage / more than one owner very early on in their life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think the Desert Sled is a Niche bike. Right in my wheelhouse for Tucson and the desert riding. Maybe not so much for others.

What does the Sled tach out at doing 75mph with stock gearing if I may ask?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've seen a few bikes for sale over here with very low mileage (all brands). I get the impression some folk 'think' they want a bike and when they get one find out it's not for them. This happened to a mate of mine - got a very good deal on a Triumph cruiser thing. Never rode it much at all. Said it was due to it being too heavy and would likely get a Sixty2. Ended up with a Vespa and is more than happy.

I mean obviously be careful but I think there are genuine reasons some bikes have a very low mileage / more than one owner very early on in their life.
I bought my 2015 icon last year with less than 700klms, from the dealer. The first service was done ,or so the book and the sales staff says , but the service indicator still came on at the appropriate mileage. Isn't the rev range limited until the first service is done??

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Take my own Sled as an example, I sold it to a local bike dealer after only one year or so with 1200 miles on it. The same dealer wanted my Urban Enduro, I had it around two years with 2700 miles. Just impulse and fancied an MV Dragster RR. It'll be going soon no doubt, I can feel a Panigale Street Fighter coming on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you go 2000 miles without changing your oil, it will spin metal particles around buffing your components to a nice sheen. The shininess will attract crows who will follow you around trying to steal objects in your pockets. This will make riding with a passenger problematic. Riding with crows is also a crime in 13 states.

Reactions: Olas

·
Registered
211 Posts
Seriously though, that first oil change is so important because the oil isn't just lubricating the moving engine parts, but the wet clutch.

7k sounds more than fair for a DS with unknown service history. And there are MANY motorbikes for sale on cycletrader and such at cut rate prices because non-riders bought motorcycles and then changed their minds. It's a risk as is every used vehicle purchase.

Reactions: Deano968 and dedave

·
Registered
74 Posts
My bike has 960k so I went to the Ducati dealer to schedule my first 1,000k service.
Come back at 6,000k the guy told me.
Yesterday the 1,000k service lite came on.
I guess I have to force them to do the factory recommended service.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My bike has 960k so I went to the Ducati dealer to schedule my first 1,000k service.
Come back at 6,000k the guy told me.
Yesterday the 1,000k service lite came on.
I guess I have to force them to do the factory recommended service.
would be interesting to see their comments if it came in under warranty and you hadn't had the recommended service done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe the engine is seated and broken in after a few hours. The engine would have a million strokes at that point.
I bet the engineers would like to change it allot sooner than the manual recommends. But the marketing team wants to stretch out services as long as possible no doubt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts