Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tyre is decidedly squared off but still has 3mm (just) in the centre. I've done around 3800 miles, and will be going on a biking weekend next weekend which will take it to over 4000. My front also has about 3mm in the centre, so I'm assuming I should replace both as a pair? Was hoping to get a couple of rears to one front! o_O

·
Registered
613 Posts
Check your tire pressures, you should definitely get 2 rears to one front with these tires.

At 4500 miles, my rear is toast - but the front looks like it will do another 3K easy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm at 5k miles on my rear. It's toast, but still handles great and is surprisingly still capable on dirt due to the outer tread. I'm hoping the new one shows up this week. I'm pretty sure my front will get close to 10k miles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Got 2200 English miles on my bike. Rear 5 mm front 4 mm. The front has started wearing a lot faster and to a proper shape in last 500 miles since changing to Maxton suspension.

What were the tyre depths when new? I never checked but assume front was shallower to start. Anyone with new tyres could you measure starting depth please.

Looks like mine are wearing out as a pair, never had that before it's always been two rears to one front.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gill if you are going to Yorkshire don't worry I've heard they now sell tyres there for motorcycles. I was surprised how advanced they are in most things except cricket. Oops did I think that or type it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm at 5k miles on my rear. It's toast, but still handles great and is surprisingly still capable on dirt due to the outer tread. I'm hoping the new one shows up this week. I'm pretty sure my front will get close to 10k miles.
Please tell me where you were able to locate the tire for purchase. I've been looking all over the country, and striking out.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your tire pressures, you should definitely get 2 rears to one front with these tires.

At 4500 miles, my rear is toast - but the front looks like it will do another 3K easy.
I always keep them at manufacturer's spec (36psi front and rear). I've ordered a rear anyway, so I've got it to hand when needed!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Please tell me where you were able to locate the tire for purchase. I've been looking all over the country, and striking out.
I just called to confirm, and my tire will indeed be arriving at my local dealership tomorrow. I asked for you and they said their vendor is Parts Unlimited, and they have them in stock. For reference, my dealer accidentally undercharged me at $187 for the rear tire. They told me their normal price on that tire should be $197. They are honoring the lower price they initially gave me.

They have lots of dealers in Philly (assuming this is the same Parts Unlimited that my dealer said): Dealer Locator Parts Unlimited

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just called to confirm, and my tire will indeed be arriving at my local dealership tomorrow. I asked for you and they said their vendor is Parts Unlimited, and they have them in stock. For reference, my dealer accidentally undercharged me at $187 for the rear tire. They told me their normal price on that tire should be $197. They are honoring the lower price they initially gave me.

They have lots of dealers in Philly (assuming this is the same Parts Unlimited that my dealer said): Dealer Locator Parts Unlimited
Thanks... Parts Unlimited must have just made them available, this was one of my first phone calls.

!!UPDATE!! - Just spoke to Revzilla in Philly, they didn't have it on their site either, and they are probably Parts Unlimited's largest single customer. They actually had to confirm availability with PU, and will be adding these items to their web site in 24 / 48 hours.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wonder if Revzilla knows you can get the TKC 80 in the Scrambler's 110/80-18 front size? They don't have that listed either. They have the rear 180/55-17 listed for the TKC 80, although out of stock. I'm guessing it could be one of the more popular alternative tires. I'd think if you ditch the MT 60's you're either going more street (several options), or more dirt, in which case the TKC 80 is the only option so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can go TKC 80 if you import a 110/80-18 rear from Europe and put it on the front. No problem getting the 180/55-17 rear here in the U.S. Shipping over the 110/80-18 is, however, costly. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready for tires Revzilla and/or Conti USA will have figured out that there's a market for the 110/80-18 over here.

·
Registered
613 Posts

okay...

Revzilla has just added this tire to their site - pretty good pricing, too.

Pirelli MT60R Tires

·
Registered
365 Posts
^^ That's about $15 less than my dealer charged me ($186), not including tax ($14), and not including $5 revzilla cash. In total, they are $34 net less than my dealer since I do use revzilla a lot and would use the the cash back. I'm guessing my dealer charges more to mount and balance if I bring the tire in. I'll have to ask.

·
Registered
613 Posts
What is the difference between the Pirelli MT60 R (Revzilla reference above) and the Pirelli MT60 RS that comes on the Scrambler?
That is the RS... Revzilla made a mistake, I notified them and they will be changing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts