Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm coming to the conclusion the OEM clutch (certainly in mine) is made from cardboard.

I'll be looking to replace it soon as I've soaked up all the adjustment in under 15000km.

And that leads me to ask the more experienced / mechanically minded out there – What brand of clutch would you stick in?

I'm in Australia if that makes a difference. And I probably won't do this myself.

Cheers all!

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could do worse than buy this.
Ducati Scrambler (2015-2016) - Barnett Tool & Engineering
They have a good reputation over many years and it is of course less expensive than the ropey Ducati original.
I´ve never seen or measured a ducati scrambler clutch set but it is rumoured to be very thin.They have been problematic at low mileage so what have you to lose.
Honestly, you can fit one of these yourself, it´s not rocket science, just confidence and working slowly and cleanly.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, you can fit one of these yourself, it´s not rocket science, just confidence and working slowly and cleanly.
It's the big nut that worries me and the lack of any tools other than a rear stand and a few sockets - maybe it'd be worth investing in a couple more spanners. I shall do a Google. Thanks stavely.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Deano, by the way the "real"clutch cable adjuster is not at the handle bar mount. Its down just under the tank on the RHS, clipped to the frame. If its just your cable that has run out of adjustment go to this primary adjuster and you´ll be fine for a few more thousand miles, at no cost! One twist on this has double the effect of the one at the bars.
Oh, and if you change the clutch plates only, there is no need to mess with the big nut.That removes the basket , which is probably fine at your mileage

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deano, by the way the "real"clutch cable adjuster is not at the handle bar mount. Its down just under the tank on the RHS, clipped to the frame. If its just your cable that has run out of adjustment go to this primary adjuster and you´ll be fine for a few more thousand miles, at no cost! One twist on this has double the effect of the one at the bars.
Oh, and if you change the clutch plates only, there is no need to mess with the big nut.That removes the basket , which is probably fine at your mileage
Ta mate. Unless the workshop has fiddled without me knowing the adjuster under the tank is maxed out too. I'm usually pretty kind to clutches, from memory this is the first I've had to replace. That said I live in a city nowadays and that involves a lot of crawling around.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Deano, by the way the "real"clutch cable adjuster is not at the handle bar mount.
Define "real". They both adjust the clutch. You just want enough room on the adjuster on the perch to adjust the clutch on-the-go.

I never touched the lower one (nor really needed to adjust the one on the perch actually).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Perhaps I should have phrased it as main not "real". This adjuster gives more range than the one at the perch. It wasn´t clear in Deano´s post that both adjusters were maxed out. Some people are not aware of this adjuster below the tank as its just not so easily visible. It could save you a stack of money though.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may equip myself with a torque wrench and give this a go… I reckon I have a few kms yet though.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would anybody be so kind as to give me a bullet-pointed set of very basic instructions? I've mooched around YouTube and done a bit of googling but not found anything Scrambler specific, though all in all the job looks simple enough. I've spannered a few cars in the past but it's been a while, and I'm probably best considered to be completely without knowledge on mechanicals nowadays! Thanks in advance. Virtual beer for any responders ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
There is a full step by step walkthrough with pictures somewhere... pretty sure someone on here did the hard work, in the early days too but can't find it for the life of me!

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but the clutch should be similar to most of the other air cooled models with a wet clutch. Especially the Monsters. So should be plenty of guides around the internet.

Workshop guide starts at page 730 - http://forumfoundrycdn.com/nickj/moto/ducati/MY2015/DUCATI 2015 ducati scrambler 800-new.pdf

·
Registered
816 Posts
This guide is for adding the Ducabike clear cover but it's all exactly the same steps to just replace the clutch normally, just ignore the fancy retainer and clear cover.

I like this guy's organisational skills too. Very methodical. Should give you some idea of the tools needed as well, nothing fancy but you will need a torque wrench, to get the correct tightness and some of the correct gasket paste.

Make sure to use the workshop manual to get the specific torque settings etc... for the Scrambler.

(I had this bookmarked after the clutch on my Full Throttle was mush after 2.5 years but sold it before I went ahead)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This guide is for adding the Ducabike clear cover but it's all exactly the same steps to just replace the clutch normally, just ignore the fancy retainer and clear cover.

I like this guy's organisational skills too. Very methodical. Should give you some idea of the tools needed as well, nothing fancy but you will need a torque wrench, to get the correct tightness and some of the correct gasket paste.

Make sure to use the workshop manual to get the specific torque settings etc... for the Scrambler.

(I had this bookmarked after the clutch on my Full Throttle was mush after 2.5 years but sold it before I went ahead)
Thanks Josh! That'll do the job. I'm keen to do some of the easier stuff myself nowadays - we only have Frasers here in Sydney and they charge like a raging bull.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, a quick question for the more knowledgeable amongst us… In the 'Owners Manual' your instructed to check the engine oil level when the bike is cold. The Official 'Workshop' manual, however, states the oil level must be checked "…with the vehicle perfectly upright and the engine hot (but off)."

Any preferences from those who do a lot of their own work?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks Josh! That'll do the job. I'm keen to do some of the easier stuff myself nowadays - we only have Frasers here in Sydney and they charge like a raging bull.
Now I no longer rely on the bike as a sole form of transport, I'm looking forward to taking on some jobs myself too! Much less daunting if something takes a bit too long.
One of the appeals of the Scrambler, seems quite easy to work on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts