Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone:

With less than 2,000 miles on my bike, I had a turn signal bulb die. While I could have replaced it with another OEM bulb, I decided I'd rather take the opportunity to do an upgrade to LED bulbs. LED's are often brighter, have a more direct (quicker) on-and-off cycle than incandescents do, and they draw less power.

Unfortunately, I ran in to a lot of issues trying to find compatible bulbs, so I figured a guide might be helpful to others who wanted to do this upgrade. This was my solution, and there may be others also.

So:

Ducati uses a very specific bulb with a very specific kind of base for the turn signals.This base is called a "BAU15S." This refers to the fact that it is a single contact base for a single filament bulb, and that it has two pins that are offset at a 150 degree angle. This is in opposition to the more common BA15S base, where the pins are offset 180 degrees from each other.

The common bulb type that uses this BAU15S base is an "7507" bulb. However, the Ducati bulbs are NOT 7505 bulbs, and are in fact shorter overall with the glass bulb part being smaller. This comes in to play in a second here.

Here is a stock turn signal bulb:
IMG_0685.JPG

I looked around a lot for LEDs. There are tons of cheap Chinese ones, there are expensive ones, there are name brand ones. I ended up going to LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories | Super Bright LEDs for mine, though there was a trick. Their "vehicle finder" tells us that we should order this 7507 LED replacement for our turn signal bulbs, so I ordered four of them. They came quickly, and they fit in to the bulb sockets on the bike just fine. Unfortunately, they are too tall to close the lenses with them installed. I spoke with an engineer at superbrightleds.com on the phone. He went to their warehouse and pulled some bulbs while we talked. Their bulb meets the specs that Ducati publishes for our bikes, which are apparently wrong. So I returned those bulbs.

I looked around a bit more, and what I found was that you can use a bulb with a BA15S base in our bikes, but you have to remove one of the pins, which are only used for locking the bulb in the socket anyways. So I went back to superbrightleds.com and ordered four of these BA15S retrofit bulbs which are similar in size to our OEM bulbs.

Here is a picture of the OEM bulb next to the replacement:
IMG_0686.JPG

Here are the bases of the two bulbs, and you can see the difference in pin arrangement (LED at the top, OEM at the bottom):
IMG_0687.JPG

So the next step is to remove one of the pins from the LED bulb. It doesn't matter which one. All you are doing is making it so that you can insert it into the socket, and it locks in place with a twist. One pin will do this just fine. So I got out a pair of wire cutters and a file, and with about 30 seconds of work per bulb, the pin was removed.

IMG_0691.JPG

After that modification, the bulb mounted in the housing just fine, and the lens went back on as it should. Here is a pic of both bulbs illuminated. LED on the left, OE incandescent on the right. The LED looks the same color as stock in person - the whitishness in the image is just because of angle and the brightness of the LED.

IMG_0692.JPG

The LEDs are really nice replacements. They're not as bright as the first set I ordered that didn't fit (there are less diodes per bulb in the new smaller ones) but they are easily as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs are. They also don't trip the bulb out "hyperflash" condition either, and you don't need any resistors or anything like that. There are other options on the market, both more expensive and cheaper, but these seemed like a good compromise - they're not going to break immediately and they're backed by a company in the US with great customer service, but they don't cost $50 a pair like some others I'd seen when looking.

I hope this helps others in a similar situation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to provide so much detail in words and pictures.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is a quality write up ... thanks for sharing.
I decided I wanted to stay with OEM upgrade (mostly) - so installed the Ducati LEDs ... more info on this to follow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts