Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tire is due for a change, but my front looks as if it's only about half way there. They are the original MT60s, with about 5,200 miles clocked on them. Only road use here. No off-road in my routine.

I am considering only putting on the OEM tire on the rear for now. I figure they don't have the same traction now, so having two new tires just for ensuring the same traction on them is only possible for a short time anyway. The rear will wear differently than the front.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did that myself, only the rear. I find it's usually every 2 rears for 1 front so the next rear I will also do the front. No issues at all.

Reactions: TRfromMT

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Two rears to one front is normal but in t case of the MT60s I replaced both when the rear was worn. The front was not going to last through the life of the new rear.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What's the preferred replacement these days?
deoends entirely on the riding style you have, where you ride and where you live in respect of what is actually available.
There are not a huge number of decent 18” front tyres around so if you have a Scrambler with an 18” your choices are somewhat limited. We went for Bridgestone A41s on the basis that the Scrambler mainly stays on the road or very light gravel roads and the semi knobby look of the MT69is look are for looks rather than being functional. So far we are very happy with the A41s they certainly steer much better and feel way more planted in corners than the MT60s.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For only replacing the rear I would stick the the MT60 so it matches the front, so as not to mix brands, treads and profiles. When I do both down the road, I may switch to something else, but that wasn't the point of my question.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
For only replacing the rear I would stick the the MT60 so it matches the front, so as not to mix brands, treads and profiles. When I do both down the road, I may switch to something else, but that wasn't the point of my question.

Your MT60 front will not last the length of time that a new rear will last so what will happen is you will then buy a new MT60 front to match the partially worn second MT60 rear and the cycle will continue.
It is better to bite the bullet and get a set of new tyres now and be done with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I replaced my MT60's with Pirelli Scorpions - they wear much slower than the original MT60's I had on. The rear obviously still wears faster than the front but I'm certain I'll get more life out of these than the MT's. They're a much more knobby off-road leaning tire though, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2015 Classic, 1974 350 Mk3, 1974 450 Mk3, 1982 Guzzi V1000 G5
8 Posts
I went for Pirelli Angel GTs, after having run through 2 rears and 1 and a half fronts of the MT60 persuasion. I don't do any off-roading, and the Angels are wearing at half the speed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I replaced my MT60's with Pirelli Scorpions - they wear much slower than the original MT60's I had on. The rear obviously still wears faster than the front but I'm certain I'll get more life out of these than the MT's. They're a much more knobby off-road leaning tire though, so keep that in mind.
Which Pirelli Scorpion as there seems to be several types with different tread patterns? (Enduro, Rally, Trail, etc.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts