Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Reset the Scrambler Service Indicator using JPDiag MelcoDiag software - How To Guide

14K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  jcarta 
#1 ·
At last, I have reset my Service Indicator for another 7500 miles on my 2017 Scrambler Desert Sled using the FREE not for commercial use JPDiag MelcoDiag Desmo light reset software tool.

I was using a very old Win 7 laptop.

1. Buy the correct cable(s), search eBay for an "ELM 327 FTDI cable and 4 pin Ducati cable" and buy both cables as a package for around £33. It has to be ELM chipset, don't get anything else. (I thought I already had the correct FTDI-OBD2 cable - I didn't!)
2. Google "VCP drivers FTDI" and download the Virtual Com Port drivers file and install them on the PC before you plug in the USB FTDI ELM 327 cable you just bought. You also need ELM327 v1.5 software driver - it might come with the cable on a disk, otherwise download and install it on the PC
3. Using Windows Device Manager check or set your COM port listed to 38400 bps.
4. Download JPDiag MelcoDiag software from 5. Start MelcoDiag - set MelcoDiag button on the opening screen to M3C
6. Follow the instructions to get a FREE licence - a key file is sent to you as an email attachment within a couple of hours and you load the key into the MelcoDiag folder and restart MelcoDiag. The screen will tell you that an email has been sent to gift you a FREE license (it arrives as a lic.cle file which is pertinent to your VIN number and ECU code)
7. Copy the lic.cle file into the same folder as the MelcoDiag software.
8. Plug in the USB FTDI OBD2 cable to the PC, remove the scrambler seat, remove the plastic battery cover with the one 4mm Allen bolt. Then locate the 4 pin diagnostics plug under the plastic battery cover next to the USB port. It is a black cable with a connector on the end. lift the plastic tab on the connector to remove the plastic cap and plug the second Ducati cable into the OBD2 cable and into the now exposed Ducati 4 pin diagnostics plug on the bike.
9. Start MelcoDiag once you have the licence key (lic.cle) file loaded into the same file directory as the MelcoDiag folder
10. Turn on the bike ignition and then press Connect on the MelcoDiag Home tab. The lights on the connect button should go green on the MelcoDiag screen under the Connect button and all five lights on the cable should flash at some point.
11. If you get a error message saying ELM software not detected, you have bought the wrong cable - start again on eBay. (I should know, I did this first of all)
12. If everything is green on the screen under the Connect button, set MelcoDiag on the opening screen to M3C
13. Open the Reset Tab on MelcoDiag and click the Desmo service reset button once. Wait for the corresponding 'ding' sound (up to 5 seconds later) and then turn the bike ignition off.
14. Wait 15 seconds and turn on the bike ignition. Hey presto, the service indicator is now set to another 7500 miles. Yippeeee!
15. Make a donation to the JPDiag PayPal address to show your appreciation for all his hard work and for saving you a small fortune for not having to visit the Ducati dealer to reset the service mileage after a simple oil and filter change.

Many thanks to JP for building the capability and for saving me £300 ($400) for having to go to the dealer to reset the service light

See less See more
#6 ·
#9 ·
I set this up last year to talk to my Hypermotard SP (which has basically no functionality for that ECU can read codes and that was about it). But had the cable (MELCODIAG DIAGNOSTIC KIT - INTERFACE + ADAPTOR (ELM & 4 Pin Set) - Lonelec) and the software and plugged into the 2022 DS and it works like a top, can do more and mostly only care that I can reset my service light. @Ducati_passion, thanks for the refresher instructions as I had forgot how it worked from a year ago, followed your instructions to get the latest version and get connected - hardest part is finding the connector under the battery cover!

#19 ·
Ordered this cable to use with my Desert Sled 2021 - it should be compatible as both lonelec and JP links to each other.

Can't get it to read anything, connecting to computer works (win10), but when trying to get a reading via MelcoDiag or Torque it can't read the ECU.
I've tried ignition off, On, pushed start but no luck.
Haven't tried with engine running, shouldn't be necessary.

Any ideas of what could cause this?
It's the "newer" 6 pin two row red OBD2 connector on my bike.

#20 ·
It should work fine according to lonlec, they sell it with the cable for JPDiag MELCODIAG DIAGNOSTIC KIT - BLUETOOTH INTERFACE + ADAPTOR (ELM & 4 Pin Set) - Lonelec It sounds like you have the 6 pin Euro 5 connector - this is what lonlec sells for that, you may want to contact them and see if the BT adapter will pair with the OBD to 6 pin connector or not as they do not sell it that way, they sell it with the USB adapter only GUZZIDIAG EURO5 KIT - INTERFACE + ADAPTOR (KL1 & Euro5 Adaptor) - Lonelec

#23 ·
Yes, Bluetooth to virtual comport is working, it gets a connection to the dongle.
I got an answer from Lonelec saying that the ECU on the EUR5 (2021) isn't compatible with Melcodiagram. Might be a dead end, but I'm sure that I've read about people resetting their "newer" bikes...?

#26 ·
Ok, now it's validated that both the Bluescan 2 dongle and the cable is working.
First a test in my car with torque without the cable of course - works.
Then my Sled, dongle + cable - works with torque - can read the non existing fault codes, get a reading of RPM etc.

When starting Melco it only allows me to use the correct port (checked settings also).
It connects to the ECU but then freezes when "Setting up ELM", I have to "force close" it.
Tried both with "any bike" and "M3C..,."

Any ideas?

#28 ·
Sorry but no, I haven't tried connecting them for two weeks now.
But everywhere I look it seems like the EUR5 with M4C controller is totally locked. I've also asked UpMap if there's any device/map for the EUR5 - but no...
I've started playing with the thought of changing the controller to a EUR4 controller from another market... But would that work...?

#29 ·
Rexxer has replied that the EVO unit should be compatible with EUR5 (M4C).
Haven't asked if there's any limitations in the functionality, I guess it might be.
But - I've reinstalled everything on my laptop and will give Melco another go this evening. According to the developer it shouldn't freeze as my version did.
It might be because of some windows updates that wasn't installed on my laptop. I'll report back when I've tried again

#30 ·
Rexxer has replied that the EVO unit should be compatible with EUR5 (M4C).
Haven't asked if there's any limitations in the functionality, I guess it might be.
But - I've reinstalled everything on my laptop and will give Melco another go this evening. According to the developer it shouldn't freeze as my version did.
It might be because of some windows updates that wasn't installed on my laptop. I'll report back when I've tried again
Good news, hope it will work 🤞🏻

#31 ·
After a fresh install of windows I finally got Melco to communicate via the ELM327 interface. Sadly it isn't able to "speak" to the M4C controller, this controller residues in the post 2021 EUR5 Scramblers, I don't know if Scramblers without EUR5 has the same controller... Cornering ABS - does that need the M4C!?
I'm still hopeful that this will work in the end when JP gets his hands on a M4C controller. Rexxer told me that the EVO is compatible with M4C, if that's true it should be able to both map and reset the service indicator.