Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been trying without success to get a Rexxer re flash done on my 2016 scrambler icon. Here is my story, please don’t shoot me down in flames if you have a different story from your Ducati dealer/local tuner/mate down the pub/the internet.

If you want the to skip to the end to get the general upshot jump to the second to last line.

My first phone call is to Ducati Manchester my local Rexxer agent, long story short, “it’s a 2016 model… we cant do it “, next phone call is to Cornerspeed based Nr Derby ythe UK’s best independent Ducati shop and rexxer agent they can do it but it would be a 250miles round trip. Next call is to Hammer and Tongs performance who are very local to me and have a good reputation, but they won’t use the Rexxer re flash and will only do custom maps at approx double the price, fair enough, it probably takes twice as long to do and will be bespoke to my bike etc.

My next trip is to the Rexxer website where they list all the bikes they have maps for, including all the new Euro 4 compliant bikes like my 2016 and onwards icons etc, Desert sled and café racer. Emailed em to check, and they just say yes we can remap your bike.

Back on the phone to Ducati Manchester, who listen to what I tell them about what Rexxer have said, but tell me they still cant do it.

In my Ducati dealer in Preston last week to not get the Desmo service done that I booked in months ago (don’t ask, I'm still mad) but I ask them if they will talk to Manchester and see if they can get any sense out of them as they are part of the same DMC group.

Well they didn’t call them but after speaking to 2 people in Preston including the service manager, the chief sales manager finally provided me with a story that hangs together, are you ready.

The Euro 4 bikes have their ECU’s coded with a unique set of 1’s and 0’s which means they will not accept a generic up map, you CAN get your ECU up/re mapped to account for you new air filter/exhaust etc but you need to send it off to Rexxer for them to do it, or I’m assuming pay for a custom map to be done on your bike by a Rexxer agent with the appropriate skills and equipment (we'll see if this works when I try it)

So there you have it, my assumption is that for those of us with 2016 bikes onwards the options are to get someone to do a custom map or buy a unit yourself and get your lap top out and do your own. I may of course be completely wrong and the only course of action is to send your ECU to Rexxer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those interested, there's a bit more on this in the performance section, where I posted the above as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally all the stars aligned and after getting my desmo service out the way this summer, I got my beautiful Racefit exhaust fitted and a custom remap done on my bike. I went to Sam at Hammer and Tongs performance in Warrington for the remap after speaking to him on the phone. He's very experienced, knew exactly what he was talking about and has mapped lots of scrambler. I couldn't be happier, with results. The bike now smoothly pulls right the way through the rev range in every gear, I won't lie it is loud, but sounds fantastic and as this is my daily ride and we're heading into the darker months I consider it auditory hi vis.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C33Lk1kB...VzGjbmrd8M68ACLcBGAs/s640/20181019_154452.jpg

·
Registered
734 Posts
Finally all the stars aligned and after getting my desmo service out the way this summer, I got my beautiful Racefit exhaust fitted and a custom remap done on my bike. I went to Sam at Hammer and Tongs performance in Warrington for the remap after speaking to him on the phone. He's very experienced, knew exactly what he was talking about and has mapped lots of scrambler. I couldn't be happier, with results. The bike now smoothly pulls right the way through the rev range in every gear, I won't lie it is loud, but sounds fantastic and as this is my daily ride and we're heading into the darker months I consider it auditory hi vis.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C33Lk1kB...VzGjbmrd8M68ACLcBGAs/s640/20181019_154452.jpg
nice to know you finally have a happy ending with the Rexxer map.
It does make a BIG difference in performance once is combined with exhaust & filter.
keep enjoying your bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the Rexxer user kit. Just being able to reset my own service light was worth it to me. Waiting for my exhaust to come before it can all be put in. Hopefully it goes smooth for me when installing the software. I can't wait! Did you find that the off idle throttle response woke up a bunch? I find my bike way too tame off idle.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

Any chance of a video?

·
Registered
23 Posts
This has nothing to do with a reflash.

Get a pre-2017 throttle tube, serious. Turns your bike from a bit of a slouch into a happy bronco. This improves the midrange response with about 30%

Black is stock, white is an old style tube.

View attachment 36911

Or one from a Monster 695, EVO. All the same.

U 2013 13 DUCATI MONSTER EVO 1100 THROTTLE TUBE OEM | eBay
I've been doing some reading on those here and thought the same thing. Thank you! Do you know if there one of the G2 quick turns will work? I would like to put an aluminum tube on as I find it a bit annoying how sloppy the plastic one is. https://www.g2ergo.com/model/scrambler-06-15/

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The plastic one doesn’t have to be sloppy if you eliminate most of the free play.

edit:
[...] Do you know if there one of the G2 quick turns will work? I would like to put an aluminum tube on as I find it a bit annoying how sloppy the plastic one is. https://www.g2ergo.com/model/scrambler-06-15/

Thanks again
I wouldn't spend a dime on a G2 tube, however good they are. A 10 buck second hand is perfect for me and gives a very direct response.

And I'm anal in my bike's controls. They have to work smooth, with as little slack as possible. I checked a mate's bike this weekend that had half the miles as mine has. His clutch had noticeably more friction than mine, so did his stock throttle tube....

·
Registered
23 Posts
The plastic one doesn’t have to be sloppy if you eliminate most of the free play.

edit:

I wouldn't spend a dime on a G2 tube, however good they are. A 10 buck second hand is perfect for me and gives a very direct response.

And I'm anal in my bike's controls. They have to work smooth, with as little slack as possible. I checked a mate's bike this weekend that had half the miles as mine has. His clutch had noticeably more friction than mine, so did his stock throttle tube....
I can relate to being particular about bike set up. I'll try and take the slack out of mine. I find there is some up and down as well, which I have a hard time believing a cable adjust will fix that. But crazier things have happened. Really appreciate the info! I love this bike. Just looking for a little more on the bottom. You know how it goes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts