Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already posted this in the UK section, figured it might be worth putting it here too, for all the non UK section readers.

I’ve been trying without success to get a Rexxer re flash done on my 2016 scrambler icon. Here is my story, please don’t shoot me down in flames if you have a different story from your Ducati dealer/local tuner/mate down the pub/the internet.

If you want the to skip to the end jump to the second to last line.

My first phone call is to Ducati Manchester the local rexxer agent, long story short, “it’s a 2016 model… we cant do it “, next phone call is to Cornerspeed based Nr Derby ythe UK’s best independent Ducati shop and Rexxer agent they can do it but it would be a 250miles round trip. Next call is to Hammer and Tongs performance who are very local to me and have a good reputation, but they won’t use the rexxer re flash and will only do custom maps at approx double the price, fair enough, it probably takes twice as long to do and will be bespoke to my bike etc.

My next trip is to the Rexxer website where they list all the bikes they have maps for, inclusing all the new Euro 4 compliant bikes like my 2016 and onwards icons etc, Desert sled and café racer. Emailed em to check, and they say yes we can remap your bike.

Back on the phone to Ducati Manchester, who listen to what I tell them about what Rexxer have said, but tell me they still cant do it.

In my Ducati dealer in Preston this week to not get the Desmo service done that I booked in months ago (don’t ask) but I ask them if they will talk to Manchester and see if they can get any sense out of them as they are part of the same DMC group.

Well they didn’t call them but after speaking to 2 people including the service manager, the chief sales manager finally provided me with a story that hangs together, are you ready

The Euro 4 bikes have their ECU’s coded with a unique set of 1’s and 0’s which means they will not accept a generic up map, you can get your ECU up mapped to account for you new air filter/exhaust etc but you need to send it off to Rexxer for them to do it, or I’m assuming pay for a custom map to be done on your bike by a Rexxer agent with the appropriate skills and equipment.

So there you have it, my assumption is that for those of us with 2016 bikes onwards the options are to get someone to do a custom map or buy a unit yourself and get your lap top out and do your own. I may of course be completely wrong and the only course of action is to send your ECU to Rexxer.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Firstly do what most people do and post it to Neil at corner speed and I'm sure it will be returned immediately with the correct reflash without the 250 mile trip.
Secondly I had Ducati Manchester reflash the ecu on my 2015 FT and it runs perfectly along with the reduction of two teeth on the rear sprocket.

Geoff.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Read the stock map, send it to Rexxer, and they will return the map you ordered made specifically for your bike.

Which will only work on your bike.

Ducati Manchester should know this.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Feel your pain mate, I've had no end of problems with RexXer as a company.

When I first bought a RexXer unit, I was asked three times over the course of the morning when buying the unit as to what motorbike I had. Three times I told them a 2016 Ducati scrambler.
For one week I was told that the RexXer unit was in its way in the post. After a week I contacted them to ask where it was only to be told that the RexXer unit I had bought wouldn't work with the Ducati scrambler!
So after the hassle of getting a refund through PayPal I decided to go down the route of getting my ECU flashed by RexXer.
So off I sent my ECU to them and around 10 days later I received it back.
Fitted the ECU and did everything that Sebastian at RexXer asked me to do.
With regards to the flash/map, I asked for o2 sensor removal along with the flash accommodating an uprated air filter and the Termignoni race slip on exhaust.
I went out for a test ride and on closed throttle I was getting the engine management light.
Sebastian said he didn't know what was wrong suggesting my bike had a faulty sensor and that I would have to take it to a garage to have it plugged in for diagnostics.
So had to pay £20 for the diagnostics, when plugged into the diagnostics, it brought up the o2 sensors were not working properly!
The flash/map hadn't correctly disabled the input from the o2 sensors. At this point I had also spent £25 on phone calls to Sebastian at RexXer.
I rung Sebastian to tell him that the flash wasn't correct and he said I would ideally need to buy the RexXer Evo unit to sort the problem out.
So even more money was spent and it was hardly cheap to say the least.
I received the Evo unit and installed a new map which finally worked.

I asked Sebastian for some money back for the extra costs for sorting out the problem with THEIR flash/map but he said no.

All the messing around, problems, extra costs and no offer of giving me some of those costs back, I've lost faith in RexXer as a company.

To add further evidence that the company isn't great, I wanted to disable my Secondary Air Intake system. I asked Sebastian if this could be done via RexXer, he said no it can't and that they know nothing about that system.
Having seen a comment on another forum, I contacted David at RexXer USA, he said yes you can disable the SAI system via RexXer.

So someone is lying somewhere and I just find it all a shambles.

Anyway that's my story.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh dear, sounds like there is a marked difference between Rexxer USA and Rexxer EU.

I'd always heard good things about the contact that people had with Rexxer USA, but I had a conversation with Ducati Manchester yesterday that only backs up your recent? experience with them, they said they used to have a very good relationship with them, but since the introduction of Euro4 that Rexxer have just not been really bothered with trying to help them in any way.
I told Ducati Manchester the information I'd gathered (as above - thanks Max) regarding getting a map onto my bike and was told their Rexxer guy was on leave this week but they'd send an email to Rexxer asking for the procedure.

Given your dealings with them, I've got reservations about using them at all as it sounds like they don't know what their doing with these new Euro4 ECU's yet. The only saving grace would be that I would be dealing with Manchester Ducati, and I would expect them to sort out any screw ups or problems with my map.

I'm going to wait and see what comes back to them from Rexxer, but I certainly wont be send my ECU off anywhere (especially given your experience) and besides which, once you start getting into the cost of tracked postage each way plus the up map your probably getting close to the cost of a custom map which is always going to be better than a generic map, and it's the way I'm starting to lean in spite of the extra cost.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly do what most people do and post it to Neil at corner speed and I'm sure it will be returned immediately with the correct reflash without the 250 mile trip.
Secondly I had Ducati Manchester reflash the ecu on my 2015 FT and it runs perfectly along with the reduction of two teeth on the rear sprocket.

Geoff.
Yes its a valid point about posting it. Regards your up map, 2015 bikes are Euro 3 so I'm told and there were no issues putting the generic up maps onto these bikes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Read the stock map, send it to Rexxer, and they will return the map you ordered made specifically for your bike.

Which will only work on your bike.

Ducati Manchester should know this.
This is correct. Don't bother with having the dealer do it. Buy a Rexxer EVO unit. Then you use the unit to read the stock map from your bike and send it to Rexxer. They'll edit it into the tuned map for you and send it back to you. Then you use the EVO unit to load that map to your bike.

We in the USA are lucky to deal with David at Rexxer USA / Redline Motorsports who does this regularly, but you should be able to do the same thing through Rexxer themselves without involving the dealership or a shop in it.

The bonus of this is that later on you can use the Rexxer EVO unit to reset your service indicators and such if you do work yourself, and if a dealership ever over-writes your flash during service, you can re-flash the tune again yourself.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Spud your correct about my bike being euro 3, as far as I know it's not only scramblers that are having problems but also the new monsters as well.
It seems that Ducati or their ecu supplier has introduced new technology to make it more difficult for after market companies breaking their codes thus monopalising the reflash market themselves and that's why I think that the interest has dwindled.
Sorry to hear about your problems but the chap who does the rexxer at DM is top notch.

Geoff.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The problem here is the ignorance of the dealer, not Rexxer.
That is correct. I have a Rexxer tune on my 2016, EU4 compliant bike.

There is "protection" in some ECUs that makes some methods of reflashing them not work, and that dealer may not know how to flash a Scrambler, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is correct. Don't bother with having the dealer do it. Buy a Rexxer EVO unit. Then you use the unit to read the stock map from your bike and send it to Rexxer. They'll edit it into the tuned map for you and send it back to you. Then you use the EVO unit to load that map to your bike.

We in the USA are lucky to deal with David at Rexxer USA / Redline Motorsports who does this regularly, but you should be able to do the same thing through Rexxer themselves without involving the dealership or a shop in it.

The bonus of this is that later on you can use the Rexxer EVO unit to reset your service indicators and such if you do work yourself, and if a dealership ever over-writes your flash during service, you can re-flash the tune again yourself.

agree 100%, this is the best alternative for those who will like to remap their ecu. I'm very happy with my Rexxer map( I alos bought it from David).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spud your correct about my bike being euro 3, as far as I know it's not only scramblers that are having problems but also the new monsters as well.
It seems that Ducati or their ecu supplier has introduced new technology to make it more difficult for after market companies breaking their codes thus monopalising the reflash market themselves and that's why I think that the interest has dwindled.
Sorry to hear about your problems but the chap who does the rexxer at DM is top notch.

Geoff.
Buy a Euro 3 ECU? put in the 2017 bike
, do the tunes yourself with a EVO/ DYNO cut everybody out
Send the ECU to China copy them, for $25, sell them to anybody wants one, and we do the tuning and cut Rexer and Ducati out?
Seriously why not buy Euro 3 ECU?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It's not just Ducati monopolizing the reflash market, I believe it's mandated in Europe nowadays that ECU's need to be "tamperproof" (to a certain point). Typically with a unique checksum per bike (which is why you have pull the stock map from the ECU and send it to Rexxer).

Companies like Rexxer know how to get around this, unfortunately the ways to get around this change from model to model, and is getting harder...

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's not just Ducati monopolizing the reflash market, I believe it's mandated in Europe nowadays that ECU's need to be "tamperproof" (to a certain point). Typically with a unique checksum per bike (which is why you have pull the stock map from the ECU and send it to Rexxer).

Companies like Rexxer know how to get around this, unfortunately the ways to get around this change from model to model, and is getting harder...
This is true. The KTM guys are now just replacing the ECU with a Vortex unit as the stock one is locked down. I see complete replacements as the next wave. But it gets complicated with keyrings etc, sux.

The other way is piggyback units. I've used Power Commanders on a couple bikes with very good results. I'm running a PC5 in my Husky 650 with the Autotune module and a wide band O2 sensor for true closed loop operation, it's amazing. I developed the A/F target map myself. But that setup isn't cheap. I did it because I wanted to try it and learn how it worked.

True closed loop operation over the whole operating range is really the best setup as it continually adjusts to keep things right. It's how modern cars work so well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts