Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was attempting to undo the rear wheel nut the other day which had been done up unbelievably tight by the dealer at the last service. I had a 3 foot breaker bar on it and couldn't shift. In my efforts I pushed the bike off it's stand and it fell against the garage wall before I could catch it. Fortunately the only damage done was to the RH mirror stalk which was bent beyond repair right at the top of the threads where it screws into the master cylinder clamp.
So I am wondering if anyone in the UK has a spare RH stalk that they would be willing to sell to me. It is the basic mirror fitted to the Icon, Classic, Full Throttle and Urban Enduro models. I only need the stalk with the LH thread.
I eventually got the wheel nut loose with a rattle gun :angry4:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

Loose with a rattle gun ? Go to another dealer.. The guy who tightened your wheel last time is a mad guy... The torque is quite high (145 Nm), but you shouldn't need a rattle gun to unscrew your rear wheel axle nut.

PS: next time : secure your bike when working on it. It fell on the floor but could have fallen on you...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The warranty is now up. I won't be going back to the dealer. The torque was easily as high as My Multi at 230 Nm.
For your info, the bike was on an Abba stand and should have been amply secure. I had tried to undo the RH nut which of course pulled it down onto the stand but I couldn't shift it. So I (foolishly) tried to undo the LH nut. This of course pushed the bike forward off the stand. It didn't fall on the floor but against the garage wall. So please don't tell me how to work on my bikes. I have been doing so for over 50 years but everyone makes a mistake now and again :(

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The warranty is now up. I won't be going back to the dealer. The torque was easily as high as My Multi at 230 Nm.
For your info, the bike was on an Abba stand and should have been amply secure. I had tried to undo the RH nut which of course pulled it down onto the stand but I couldn't shift it. So I (foolishly) tried to undo the LH nut. This of course pushed the bike forward off the stand. It didn't fall on the floor but against the garage wall. So please don't tell me how to work on my bikes. I have been doing so for over 50 years but everyone makes a mistake now and again :(
People just can't help themselves.
I have one I can Gift to you but won't be home for another two weeks. If you're in a hurry then I can have someone at home take care of it for us. Just let me know.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hui. I have a complete new mirror ordered from Ducati Glasgow but that is on back order and I don't know how long it will take. I'll let you know if I get desperate.

Reactions: Hui

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the offer kjs but I think the cost of shipping from the US would be prohibitive.
I could live without the LH mirror but in the UK a RH mirror is rather essential. Ducati will happily sell me a complete mirror but the only spare part they sell is the rubber boot that covers the vertical adjustment lock nut.

·
Registered
560 Posts
So please don't tell me how to work on my bikes. I have been doing so for over 50 years but everyone makes a mistake now and again :(
Everyone can learn all life long...

Although I also work on my bikes since 30 years, I recently learned with a friend that, for unscrewing a wheel axle, it was easier and safer to do it with the bike on its wheels. Then, when the axle is unscrewed, you lift the bike.

But I stop here my lessons, that's your bike, feel free to drop it down as many times as you want :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
To all those that know more than me (most!) - feel free to state the bleeding obvious from time to time - you just never know and I wouldn't be offended (and there is no sarcasm here, I'm serious).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts