Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for sometime now but mostly sport bikes. I'm now 41 and figured I am getting to old to keep riding this way and started looking into a more back friendly bike. I have test driven the harley 880 and in my honest opinion - it's a very relaxed ride. Too relaxed for for comfort for me and awkward in too many ways.
Now I was able to finally test drive the scrambler last weekend and was pleased to say that most reviews on the bike were pretty much spot on. The overall quality of the bike was very good. The overall design and sped of the bike looks awesome. I'm 5 11" and I love the seat height. Nothing like being able to plant your heels on the ground at rest or stops. Perfect seating for me. Comfortable position sitting upright. The seat is fairly comfy, but for sure it may be bothersome after a long drive as it could use a bit more thickness, at least for my skinny butt. The bike is light and easily handled. The engine isn't as loud as I would like but it's power more than makes up for it. The engine is very responsive. 0-60 in a quick few twists of the wrists. I would've preferred to have a more gradual take off especially that I am in a lot of stop and go traffic in my commute. The suspension and brakes are superb. Clutch and gear shifter works fine. Not as many false neutrals as mentioned by most reviewers.
My dislikes are small issues. The rear mirrors don't articulate as well and seem to be fixed in regards to vertical position. I am sure it's adjustable in some other ways. The turn signals switch seems a little cheap and cumbersome and could've been better designed. The cancel button kinda sticks up like thorn to shut it off, but that's just me. The handlebars seem a bit too high and too wide for comfort for me when I start riding in the canyons and quick turns. Keep in mind I have been riding sports position in a hunched over position for a while too- so it definitely will be a while to get used to this style driving. I already ordered a set of FT handle bars kit from the dealer. It's about $150 plus install. I am hoping this will give me enough of a happy medium between back comfort and semi-sport position for better maneuverability.
Overall I could not be happier with the Scrambler. I am still waiting like most folks for delivery an can't wait to ride it. The scrambler is a definitely easy riding beautiful bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The good news is that the mirrors are adjustable. The turn signal cancel button is also used as an 'enter' button when you're cycling through the menu settings on the speedo to set the clock and do other things, so I think it's probably all a bit like a joystick.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

41, too old? Don't be daft! I'm 56 and I have a Panigale as well as the Scrambler!!

And at 5'6" I can get both feet flat on the ground too :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kudos all. just wanted to share my 2 cents. Btw Sarah, I am from the Temecula Wine Country area in Southern California. I guess I should update my profile.
Also just got word that my bike should be coming next week! Hope all goes well with the shipping :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Welcome and glad you love the bike - most people do! Know what you mean about the sports position, I wanted a sports bike 20 years ago but now can't even sit on one without being uncomfortable :rolleyes:. Initially I found the bars to be very wide and high for me (I'm only 5'3") but have angled them back slightly and now I'm used to them.

Bet you can't wait till next week, what colour are you getting? And 41 - you are but a mere baby! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally! I brought her home today. I had the FT low bars installed. The bars cost $108 with 15% off and $88 install. The position is just perfect! Still upright riding, no pressure on the wrist or back. Black color also looks awesome with it!
Mirrors were also positioned lower due to the bars and now I have better visualization.
The throttle seems a bit sensitive and snatchy still, but I've already gotten used to it already. Just needs a steadier hand on the throttle and be more precise.
With the bars lower also, I feel like I can tame this bronco a lot better. I definitely feel more confident fog through twists and turns in the canyons better now. I am totally loving this bike and have no second thoughts about giving up my crotch rocket Our mechanic at the dealer says that duc will maybe come out with a better configuration in regards to the "snactchiness" in time.
Best of luck to you all who are still waiting for their bikes! I feel your pain. I was practically stalking/ harassing my sales guy. But it's all good. He actually hooked me up and gave me a cupon for free 600 mile break in tune up!
Moto Forza in So Cal Rocks! James in sales and Boz in mechanics.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congrats with the bike :). Looks very pretty and the FT bars go perfect with the look of the bike. :thumbsup:

Which upgrades are you thinking of next? :rolleyes:o_O

·
Registered
965 Posts
Good job on ordering the fastest color :), I too came from a sports bike and touring sport bike background and I have been suitably impressed by the handling, power and overall quality of my Scrambler. So far I think I 'm a minority in actually liking all of the standard equipment. I only have 350 miles on mine at the moment but in that time I have not found really one thing that doesn't fit me or my wants.

The only thing I did order were the side bags since for me thats a necessity not a "want". Safe riding, I'm getting ready to head out on this beautiful Sunday up in Northern California with a high today of almost 90F

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

41, too old? Don't be daft! I'm 56 and I have a Panigale as well as the Scrambler!!

And at 5'6" I can get both feet flat on the ground too :)
I was thinking the same thing regarding the age reference. Looking at friends and family that ride, the fastest bikes with the most performance mods and the most track day hours are all guys (and one gal) in the 60 to 75 year old group, mainly because they have the time and money to indulge. Yeah, the younger folks have faster lap times (of course) but they also crash harder which of course the older guys can't brush off so easily any more.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I was thinking the same thing regarding the age reference. Looking at friends and family that ride, the fastest bikes with the most performance mods and the most track day hours are all guys (and one gal) in the 60 to 75 year old group, mainly because they have the time and money to indulge. Yeah, the younger folks have faster lap times (of course) but they also crash harder which of course the older guys can't brush off so easily any more.
Funnily enough I had the same conversation with an old Aussie guy I met at Donington Park yesterday (WSBK). He was saying that the first thing he noticed when he pulled in to the bike park was that 95% of the guys there were 55 yo plus, and he wondered where all the youngsters were.

Incidentally this guy comes to the UK every year for a holiday for a few months, buys a bike when he gets here, tours the UK and Europe (going to race meets when he can) then when he's heading home he sells the bike again. Top fella :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts