Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am marked the first week of August as vacation and will be riding somewhere epic! I will be starting in Boston but am not sure which way to head. That is where you all come in, I need suggestions.

- The bike will start at about 2,000 miles
- I'd like to do some dirt roads but not required
- I don't mind the highway if its worth it
- I've never left New England on motorcycle, so I'd like to go big or go home.

Some ideas I've been playing with are:

- DUMP miles on the bike and attempt to make it to Mount Rushmore in 3 days for the most murica photo of them all. 2 days adventuring around South Dakota and 3 days back. This would be a challenge
- Nova Scotia adventure, plenty of time to see it all
- Head to lake superior and take a (giant) lake lap

What would you do?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last September my SO and I rode from NYC down to Chattanooga, TN. We rode through the Blue Ridge Mountains, which were beautiful. We also rode the Tail of the Dragon, which was terrifyingly awesome! It's definitely worth checking out if you end up down south.

I have a really long detailed write up from my boyfriend about the roads we took and camping in the surrounding area if you're interested.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Last September my SO and I rode from NYC down to Chattanooga, TN. We rode through the Blue Ridge Mountains, which were beautiful. We also rode the Tail of the Dragon, which was terrifyingly awesome! It's definitely worth checking out if you end up down south.

I have a really long detailed write up from my boyfriend about the roads we took and camping in the surrounding area if you're interested.
The blue ridge mountains, or as I like to say my back yard, are always fun. When I get home from work I am going to get some ice cream #twisties.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do the Old West on your Scrambler. Find the remnants of old Route 66, starting in the Texas panhandle. Stop at the ancient and tasteless souvenir stands, buy a small piece of petrified wood, stop at the pueblo at Acoma, New Mexico, continually inhabited by the same tribe since 1000 CE, take a detour south and ride into Tombstone on your Scrambler, making sure to tie her up in front of the saloon. It's hokey, it's real, it's time travel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Blue Ridge parkway is a must, although if possible I'd wait to ride it in the fall since the foliage comes alive then. Still, the roads there are great rides so definitely a do-not-miss kinda trip.

I like the suggestion of Route 66, lots to see there on the western end but the eastern portion is kinda lackluster in my opinion. Still, it's iconic and can lead you out west for more adventures.

If I was going to do a true 50/50 adventure, I'd head to Utah and check out all the national parks. Most of them are accessible via paved roads, but you can easily jump off onto hardpack dirt to see more of what they have to offer. Sedona and Flagstaff, AZ, are also good destinations, especially since you're right there at Grand Canyon NP.

Geez, there's so freaking much to see, it's hard to figure out where to start. Honestly, just pick a direction you want to go (north to Canada, south to the Gulf, west toward the Pacific) and figure out what to see along the way. Down south you've got cities like Charleston, Savannah, Miami, New Orleans, and Key West. North you've got all the northeastern states, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, the Dakotas, and more. West...well, you've got so much that direction it's hard to know where to begin. :p

Either way, have a blast!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input everyone... I think I need more vacation time :biggrin-new:

I was using roadtrippers.com last night which appears to be the perfect trip planning tool. I've never used anything but google maps.

Map Roadtrippers - Maps Built for Travelers

I could start the trip with an attempt at the 1,000 miles in 24 hours to go for a SaddleSore 1000 from the Iron Butt Association. Boston to Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort is almost 1,000 miles so I'd just send it there. I could then session the dragon for a day or two then take the scenic parkways home checking everything on on the way.

The tail of the dragon is a bit intimidating based on all the hype online. Are these warnings for squids or will I be fine? I'd label myself an intermediate rider :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
.......The tail of the dragon is a bit intimidating based on all the hype online. Are these warnings for squids or will I be fine? I'd label myself an intermediate rider :)
You will be fine. The speed limit is 30mph...
They will let you go 40 without hassle.

Many go slower. Just do not cross the center line & watch out for oncoming vehicles that do.

I have some nice GoPro vids of my last Dragon visit but haven't had time to edit it yet.

Do not go to the Dragon on a weekend! Go on a weekday.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah despite the hype the Dragon is pretty tame. Weekends bring in a lot of trailered bikes and tourists, but if you can plan it for a weekday you're golden. Up that way, there are a couple motorcycle-friendly campgrounds, I think you'll really enjoy the roads and the atmosphere. ;)

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
The "Dragon" is simply the most over-hyped MC road on the planet. It's not that the road itself is bad, but the proliferation of numb-skulls who clog it up every weekend. Truth is, just about every other road in the immediate vicinity is nearly as good, and far less populated.

Reactions: CookieKing

·
Registered
424 Posts
The "Dragon" is simply the most over-hyped MC road on the planet. It's not that the road itself is bad, but the proliferation of numb-skulls who clog it up every weekend. Truth is, just about every other road in the immediate vicinity is nearly as good, and far less populated.
Your key word, Tony, is "nearly"....the Dragon has its special rhythm.

RIDE the Dragon Ducati Scrambler Forum

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Your key word, Tony, is "nearly"....the Dragon has its special rhythm.

RIDE the Dragon Ducati Scrambler Forum
If the "rhythm" you are referring to is the same as that one hears while listening to a rendition of "Old Man River" (which is what goes through my mind every time I get stuck behind one of the numerous, appallingly slow riders who frequent it too often) then I agree! :02.47-tranquillity:

All joking aside, it's a good road - but get there early in the AM, and stay away on the weekends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts