Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Rotopax mount done today. It's a pretty simple mount on the H&B tail rack though given the cutout in the plate you need to make a lower support. I kinda wish that cutout wasn't there, it would make mounting different things to the plate easier. I already had the mount & jug (1 gal).

Here's some pix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice work, that looks great.
Two questions for you, what's the wieght limit for that rack? And can you remove the rack but leave the brackets mounted to the sub-frame?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice work, that looks great.
Two questions for you, what's the weight limit for that rack? And can you remove the rack but leave the brackets mounted to the sub-frame?
I believe the rack is rated for 15 lbs. The weak link is where the rack bolts to the subframe. I think the rating comes from Ducati as much as H&B as Ducati's own rack is rated the same using the same primary mounting points.

But I've found it's pretty sturdy and doesn't flex much so I "suspect" it could actually take more as long as the corp. lawyers aren't looking, LOL.

Yes, you can unbolt the rack leaving the mounting brackets in place which I thought was a nice feature considering they are harder to install. It also allows you to potentially mount other racks/stuff to the same brackets.

I use the same rack for my Givi topbox for commuting duty where I place my laptop backpack in it and what weighs about 13 lbs. I doesn't flex at all with that load.

20180515_122717-1.jpg

·
Registered
896 Posts
I believe the rack is rated for 15 lbs.
Typically most racks are rated around that weight I assume primarily for safety reasons. If you look at the photo of the top box the weight inside it is high and well behind the rear axle of the bike. Any more than a light object on there could potentially have a negative affect on the bikes handling. The corporate lawyers need to earn their money by protecting their clients with ratings that ensure there is no possibility of the company being sued.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts