Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm just about to hit the first service mark (currently at 900km) and I have noticed an odd behaviour from the Sled:
Every once is a while the RPM's will suddenly drop, like its misfired. I have been trying to pay attention to when it happens and so far I feel like its usually when the bike is cold...within the first 5 minutes of riding and usually on a downshift or when engine braking.

Could be it just needs a slight adjustment to the map and will be remedied with the first service, but I thought I'd see if this was an issue others have experienced.

Also wondering if the engine "wakes up" after the first service? I personally feel like the engine definitely has more to offer, but is restricted somehow. I buddy of mine had this experience on a Vstrom 1000... Complained to the dealer on how the bike didn't feel like a 1000, to which the dealer said "wait until the first service...it'll wake up"....which it did apparently.

Anyways, just curious... Still love the bike regardless ;)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There is no magic adjusment to the map, nothing will change after the first service, it won't suddenly wake up (sorry).

That said, any new Scrambler 800 comes equipped with the "soft" throttle tube. Replace it with an old style one and be amazed at what a difference it makes...
This one will fit, you just need to swap the grip.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure about "waking up" after the first service, but it definitely loosens up over time. Air-cooled Ducs are always super-tight to start and take a while to give their best.

As for the RPM drop, if it's happening when you blip the throttle on the overrun when you downshift then it'll be a by-product of the very lean mixture.

As I understand it the fuel injection can't quite keep up with the sudden throttle opening from fully closed, so the mixture leans off just a bit too much to sustain combustion and the engine stalls. It doesn't feel like a full on stall because of the slipper clutch (I could be wrong about that part).

My Icon does exactly the same thing, as did the KTM Duke I had previously.

bm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about "waking up" after the first service, but it definitely loosens up over time. Air-cooled Ducs are always super-tight to start and take a while to give their best.

As for the RPM drop, if it's happening when you blip the throttle on the overrun when you downshift then it'll be a by-product of the very lean mixture.

As I understand it the fuel injection can't quite keep up with the sudden throttle opening from fully closed, so the mixture leans off just a bit too much to sustain combustion and the engine stalls. It doesn't feel like a full on stall because of the slipper clutch (I could be wrong about that part).

My Icon does exactly the same thing, as did the KTM Duke I had previously.

bm
You pretty much nailed it. That's a bang on description. Has me wondering if I will indeed need to re-map it once I put an Arrow pipe on it. As I understand it, a straight pipe leans the bike out further... which now makes me wonder if it would exacerbate the problem and make it harder for the fuel injection map to do its job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no magic adjusment to the map, nothing will change after the first service, it won't suddenly wake up (sorry).

That said, any new Scrambler 800 comes equipped with the "soft" throttle tube. Replace it with an old style one and be amazed at what a difference it makes...
This one will fit, you just need to swap the grip.
Its the first mod I'll be doing ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lol...wasn't it about 18 months ago people were whining the 2015/16 throttle cams were too brutal?
Glad to see the real culprit - lean fuelling - has come to light....finally.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Is it? I have a 2017 Sled with an old throttle tube. Stock exhaust, stock airbox, stock ecu.

Just runs fine. Yes it did stall a few times while blipping on a downshift, but I can't recall the last time it happened. Don't blip, or blip harder...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts