Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Word on the street is that if you live in Canada, and you happen to want the yet-to-be-released Scrambler, the dealers have already sold through their allotment. I can only assume that this means that they have deposits on all of the scooters that they are going to be receiving in the Spring (when exactly is anyone's guess. April, May?). This news comes from a "Ducati Insider" that happened to chat with the editors over at Canada MotoGuide.

The four models flying under the Scrambler banner promise to offer the full range of riding. Everything from speed in the Full Throttle model, to (light) off road capability with the Urban Enduro. We all know that the bikes are based on the same basic bike, just with different wheels and accessories hung off of the frame, buuut, those slight mods, each model appeals to different buyers entirely. Looking at our Scrambler Deposit Lists, the Icon has the other models outpacing the other models significantly. As for color, it is almost dead even between the Yellow and the Red.

How many of you guys will be "out in the cold" while you wait for the 2016 Scramblers come available, or is this just a rumor from the internet designed to get you all in to the dealerships? Let us know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Apparently my dealer will receive icons in April and the rest in May. My classic is scheduled to come in in mid May. Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I had a friend put a deposit down the other day. The delivery date was August!
Ouch, that's too long a wait for the likes of me. I'm too impulsive and would have moved on or gone off the boil all together.
I ordered a Monster 1200 last March and the delivery kept getting put off and I ended up cancelling the order.
Ducati are cutting there own throat.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I agree Hui, Couldn't wait that long, (didn't I read somewhere that only the European models are made in Bologna?, Canada and USA models made in Asia)

I do like the photo NickJ, but would prefer the exhaust system matte black,

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
ooops! just found it,

The bikes are made in Italy, Thailand and Brazil, the UK bikes are built in bologna,

note built, I do know the some suspension parts are made in Thailand, the same make that Triumph use

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I agree they do look good, but it's going to get covered in road muck even if it's just damp out, It'd have to be painted black or at least the muffler part,

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I tend toward black exhaust as well. I had a titanium matte finished set of D&D pipes on my Bonneville. The ease of cleaning was tremendous!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I pick my Icon up tomorrow here in France. My dealer has been allocated 10 for the year including the 1 he's had to put on demo. So that's 9 sale bikes, he's got sold 6 so far!!
Think he's going to be praying Ducati up production.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
That's fantastic jerry, be sure to post us a picture, if you get time :rolleyes:

We tend to forget Ducati are a very small company, and if each dealer gets 10 bikes I think they're doing well, :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree Hui, Couldn't wait that long, (didn't I read somewhere that only the European models are made in Bologna?, Canada and USA models made in Asia)
From the buyer's perspective, I agree. But, as a seller, I disagree.

First, they are Ducati, not Yamaha or Honda. Final assembly for bikes for some markets will be in Thailand, but, as I understand it, the drivetrains and frames for those bikes will still be built in Italy. And Ducati can't (yet?) build bikes in Japanese bike volume.

Second, building a bunch of bikes for the initial demand usually means having to reduce production later on. There have been a bunch of products that were big hits after being introduced that had short lives because there wasn't much demand after the pent-up demand was satisfied. Even worse, some companies ramp up production for initial demand beyond their ability to produce a quality product and end up making a bunch of lemons, damaging the product's reputation and reducing future sales.

Unless the company needs the cash now, it is better to even out the production run.

Third, if handled correctly, scarcity can increase sales over the production run.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
From the buyer's perspective, I agree. But, as a seller, I disagree.

First, they are Ducati, not Yamaha or Honda. Final assembly for bikes for some markets will be in Thailand, but, as I understand it, the drivetrains and frames for those bikes will still be built in Italy. And Ducati can't (yet?) build bikes in Japanese bike volume.

Second, building a bunch of bikes for the initial demand usually means having to reduce production later on. There have been a bunch of products that were big hits after being introduced that had short lives because there wasn't much demand after the pent-up demand was satisfied. Even worse, some companies ramp up production for initial demand beyond their ability to produce a quality product and end up making a bunch of lemons, damaging the product's reputation and reducing future sales.

Unless the company needs the cash now, it is better to even out the production run.

Third, if handled correctly, scarcity can increase sales over the production run.
You're right, and it's because they're a wee bit different that attracts me/us to Ducati. I'm a typical punter who thinks they are the most important thing to happen to a company that day, me me me.
Like you said they're not Yamaha, Honda, etc. and all the better for it I say. Just a bit frustrating for impulse buys.

Anyway, where's my bike, do you not know who I am ??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Auto part Vehicle Suspension part Suspension Shock absorber Auto part Vehicle Suspension part Suspension Shock absorber View attachment 351
Photos and impressions please!
I'm well pleased with the Icon. I managed 135 kms yesterday before rain stopped play.
As I found on my demo ride a couple of weeks ago the only negative so far is the suspension is a tad on the firm side. I have contacted Nitron in the UK and if I send them the rear shock and take a few measurements, static sag and sag with rider onboard, then they will dyno the shock and measure the spring rate and come up with a shock for me. The front also feels too hard but I think it will be a bit more difficult to get new springs until one of the spring manufacturers gets hold of a bike to measure the springs.
Everything else on the bike feels great, the brakes are spot on, the riding position suits me down to the ground. The engine is just a gem, the torque from 3k on is just great, exactly what I want from a vee twin. I did find a false neutral a couple of times between 5th and 6th but I think it may have been pilot error, I'll keep my eye on that.
I wasn't out long enough to really comment on the seat comfort but I have no reason to think it will be a problem.
One thing I did find a bit awkward is operating the indicator button, I think I may have to move the switch slightly. The rev counter is not easy to read at a glance but I was only concerned with not getting carried away till I've got some miles (kms) on it. To be honest there is no need to rev it through the gears as the mid range is so enjoyable.
All in all a happy bunny!
Don't know what's happening with these attachments!!!
. View attachment 350

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts