1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
767 Posts
They don't make one for the Scrambler the fuel cap cannot mount it because it is the wrong type.
I use them on all my other bikes and not being able to put one on the Scrambler is annoying but that is the way it is.

You can see in this photo that there are no visible screws to use to mount the SW Motech tank ring.

This is how the ring mounts to the fuel cap. It requires the exposed screw holes.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The SW Motech ring screws to the TOP of the existing fuel cap using the screw holes that secure the fuel cap with longer screws. On the Scrambler there are no exposed screws for SW Motech to use and besides the front of the fuel cap lid would foul the SW Motech ring and you would not be able to open the fuel cap. I have used these on I think five bikes now and they do not work the way you think they work.
If you go to SW Motech web site you will see that they do not list the ring fit tank bags as being compatible with any 800 Scrambler models. The only compatible tank bags are the strap on style ones.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K1W1, did you open the pdf instructions?. This is not just a lock ring, its an adaptor to get screws onto the surface of the tank, which you can then mount a ring to.
But i take your point the new lock ring may foul the lid as it opens. In which case replacing the locking filler cap with a screw type cap may work.

·
Registered
767 Posts
K1W1, did you open the pdf instructions?. This is not just a lock ring, its an adaptor to get screws onto the surface of the tank, which you can then mount a ring to.
But i take your point the new lock ring may foul the lid as it opens. In which case replacing the locking filler cap with a screw type cap may work.
Yes I did read the instructions you posted but as I have said you are misunderstanding them. The tank ring will not work with the Scrambler in it’s stock form. You are misreading the instructions. If you want to go ahead and try it you are welcome to do do of course its your money.
If the SW Motech attachment ring worked with the Scrambler it would have been one of the first things I mounted on our bike when we got it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, just someone posted on another forum and I asked a few questions about how he did it. Seems simple enough that i'm going to try it, might make a bit of a cover instead of the washers, would look nicer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I tried to make this work. The bracket mounted ok on the tank, removed the pivot pin on the cap, put it on the new ring. Lookin good so far, but the distance from the pivot pin to the center of the fill hole was about 1/4” longer than it needed to be. So it was a no go. Knocked the pin back out and put the original back together. Didn’t think about changing to the fully removable aftermarket type. That would work!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Bad-tat, that confirms it then. SW Motech couldn´t tell me why it wouldn´t fit but i thought it was to do with our pivot pin not being flush. I looked at using the flush flip cap like my monster 900 Sie had, but i noticed that those filler holes are not central like the scrambler. They are about a 1/4´´ out i suspect!
Yes,I still think the flush after market types will work. Oxford products were helpful by sending me a load of dimensioned templates of their rings. I´d be able to match the screw hole centres from those with a flush cap like TWM make for all and sundry.
However i´m going to modify an old magnetic tank bag i have by re-positioning the magnets for now.
If you ever try a flush cap let us know and i´ll send over the templates i have.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ISDT; I modified my magnetic tank bag to fit, did a 2700km trip to the pyrenees and back and it was fine. No scratches, never slid off.
I´m convinced a TWM type filler will solve the issue but my need to do this has now gone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you guys ever finish up a solution on the tank bag mount?
I did complete mine. Its not too hard to do but you do have to drill the fuel cap surround (not for the faint of heart!)

20190514_222828.jpg 20190514_222834.jpg 20190514_222917.jpg

I used the fitting ring from a KTM 1190 and, as you can see from the photos, I needed to trim the ring slightly to allow the gas cap to open.

I am really happy with the result

·
Registered
52 Posts
87058FCF-D2E0-4A5A-835A-91B861109109.jpeg
I did complete mine. Its not too hard to
I used the fitting ring from a KTM 1190 and, as you can see from the photos, I needed to trim the ring slightly to allow the gas cap to open.

I am really happy with the result
Looks good!
I actually run the factory Enduro rear bags on mine and use the small right side bag as a daily. I think im good with that and the tank bag i’m gonna get and use only for touring. So after seeing Henry Crew do 55k miles around the world with his factory Enduro (magnetic) tank bag i’m kind of sold on using that one. fully waterproof and converts to a backpack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had the bag from my old KTM 1190 and found it ideal. I also run the SW Motech bags for trips, works well with the tank bag.
sled small.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts