Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about this exhaust system and whether it is usable for a street bike:

DUCATI SCRAMBLER EXHAUST SC-PROJECT

I like how it routes both pipes low and away from my legs. I'm not concerned with off-road use, just road clearance, cornering clearance, and clearance for the Ducati luggage. And of course whether it's too loud, etc.

Has anyone else used it?

thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I believe that particular silencer is fairly loud. SC Project do make some other ones for the Scrambler, though, which are quieter. I don't know if they're compatible with that set of headers or not, though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Hmm. Ear shattering loud I had in the past; it's a bit difficult for a long ride. Sounds like the pipe might be good but I'd need to adapt a different silencer, and probably need a little customization to drop the silencer angle to clear the bag (change the bend slightly at the exit from the collector and build a custom hanger). Hmm hmm hmm. Not too difficult, but not a bolt-on.

As pretty as the 'snaky' stock pipes are, I do find the heat on my right leg a bit bothersome in traffic. And I like how this pipe shows off the Ducati engine's timing side, too. :)

I'd love to see and hear one of these pipes in person so I could do some measurements for bag clearance and see how loud it is as delivered. Perhaps the US distributor could arrange that.

I'm not intending to do an exhaust immediately, just getting ideas for 'the next stage of things' after I've put some miles down on this bike. One step at a time...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Road clearance seems better than the original muffler, shouldnt be a problem for road use.

If you plan on mounting it yourself you'll have a hell of a job replacing the pipe under the seat. From what I heard it takes a trained mechanic 4.5 hours to mount the Termignioni high pipe and the easiest way is to dismount the frame from the engine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In an earlier part of my life, that wouldn't be much of an issue, but nowadays if I go for one I'll leave it to the shop I use to do the job. I no longer have the shop space, stands, or tools required to do larger jobs on the bike myself.

I built up whole motorcycles in the past, used to work in a shop and build engines, transmissions, etc. Day's long behind me... :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really like that exhaust system as well, and the price is very reasonable for a full kit.

I just wonder if that rear primary length has been shortened too much?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Given SC-Project's involvement with the moto GP racing folks, I suspect they know what they're doing as to pipe length, etc. The header portion of the pipes is not too dissimilar to the stock exhaust on my 907IE of twenty-some years back, which had a very good exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks!

Hmm. Ear shattering loud I had in the past; it's a bit difficult for a long ride. Sounds like the pipe might be good but I'd need to adapt a different silencer, and probably need a little customization to drop the silencer angle to clear the bag (change the bend slightly at the exit from the collector and build a custom hanger). Hmm hmm hmm. Not too difficult, but not a bolt-on.

As pretty as the 'snaky' stock pipes are, I do find the heat on my right leg a bit bothersome in traffic. And I like how this pipe shows off the Ducati engine's timing side, too. :)

I'd love to see and hear one of these pipes in person so I could do some measurements for bag clearance and see how loud it is as delivered. Perhaps the US distributor could arrange that.

I'm not intending to do an exhaust immediately, just getting ideas for 'the next stage of things' after I've put some miles down on this bike. One step at a time...

Is this the one......

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, that's the one. It does sound nice (and looks great!), but I can't get a good feel for how loud that is in real life from the video. Do you know if there's a db-killer for it to quiet it down a little?

It also looks like there's enough clearance for the soft bags with it, although it gets a little close. Probably fine on the highway, but it might toast the bag some in traffic; it might be wise to insulate the bottom of the RH bag with some shielding if I went for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, that's the one. It does sound nice (and looks great!), but I can't get a good feel for how loud that is in real life from the video. Do you know if there's a db-killer for it to quiet it down a little?

It also looks like there's enough clearance for the soft bags with it, although it gets a little close. Probably fine on the highway, but it might toast the bag some in traffic; it might be wise to insulate the bottom of the RH bag with some shielding if I went for it.

Thanks!
Hi Ramarren
Did you end up buying this exhaust setup?
If so, what's your feedback?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks!

I bought and fitted the complete system - slip-on plus header pipes. Took about four hours - rear header pipe is a bit tricky due to limited access but it fitted perfectly in the end. Not too loud at all in my opinion and takes heat away from my right leg. I use my bike on and off road and there’s heaps of clearance. Fitting soft luggage on the pipe side may be tricky though. Very happy with the outcome. Fuelling perfect thanks to Rexxer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts