Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people!

After two years with my Flat Track Pro, I decided to make the next step. First, I wanted to buy MTS950 to travel a little bit more with my wife, but after many calculations, I discovered I don't have enough time for it and my feeling rinding the 950 was like a cold beer (no emotional feelings).

1)
Two days ago I picked up my yellow 1100 from the dealership with only 350 km. It was a bike from a 60 years old guy who wanted to travel with his 25 years lady. They discovered that it doesn't fit and took a Multistrada.

All good until I started the bike and when I pushed the 1st gear and started to move, I heard a very strange noise, like a piston beating or similar to a hammer slamming a piece o metal somehow proportional with revving.
Revving it in neutral it doesn't do it, but in 1st and 2nd gear starting from 2000rpm to 4000rpm it does.

2)
I run out of gas because my indicator was shown in the middle. After fueling with 10 liters, now it's full. It seems that the electronics are a mess because the range is proportional with the indicator not with the real gasoline.

I called the dealer and told them about the noise problem and he told me this is a problem with this model and will disappear after the engine break-in (probably 1000km?)
- Does someone encounter this problem?

For the electronics, they told me it happens and it takes some time to "reset". I don't believe this, and I ask you if this can be reset by them or it is good to wait for the "normal reset"?

I am sorry for my bad english and thanking you, i look forward to some advice

Dragos.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Obviously we can not hear your noise to confirm... but the scrambler 1100 does have a rattle on the valve gear / shims... the demo I took out was bad ... but that could be heard with or without the engine in gear...

If its just in gear .. you have a problem and your dealer is talking BS..

As for the fuel gauge... again this should not be so.. the gauge on my 1100 basically shows full for the first 60 miles then drops to 1 mark above half... about 20 miles later its at 1 mark below half... then 20 miles later its at 1/4 and fuel light is on.

Maybe your sender was just stuck... but if it happens again.. take it back to the dealer... but for sure 120 miles is max you should go from full before refueling..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try to record this noise. Hopefully it is this rattle you are talking about, but i have doubts since for me this noise is only when the engine is in gear.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Mine doesn’t make any rattling noises or I can’t hear them.
As for the fuel gauge I had 2 blobs showing and 9 miles on the range, but can’t remember how much fuel it took. Not much use am I?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read the forum with translate.
It seems that some have replaced the cylinder and the noise is still there, or maybe i didn't understand. I've read something about mapping with rexxer. How it's possible to solve a mechanical problem with electronics?

·
Registered
733 Posts
The mapping with Rexxer to to allow the bike to run richer..

It would solve a pinking problem - from running a lean mix... but would not solve a mechanical valve rattle or mechanical issue..

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've read the forum with translate.
It seems that some have replaced the cylinder and the noise is still there, or maybe i didn't understand. I've read something about mapping with rexxer. How it's possible to solve a mechanical problem with electronics?
Yes you understood correctly I think. I always use high octane fuell(ron 98) and knocking is something that appears high in the the rev range if I'm correct.
As the motor is a pretty old and proven design I don't expect there to be a big problem.
I think the aircooled motor just makes some noise in the low revs when pulling from down low, just keep it above 2500 revs and it probably sound a lot happier!.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In any case for me is strange because the noise is only when the motor is in gear. So my mind is thinking more deep, something combined with clutch or the gear box.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FatalBert,

Yes, it is a metallic noise.
I hear mine only in admission and not on idle and the "glory" of the sound is between 2k - 4k rpm.

Soon the season is ending and i will drop my bike to the dealer.

Recently i discovered problems at the front suspension...
The symptoms are the following: hop on your motorcycle and move it backward slow with your feet, and apply the brake. My suspension remains suspended, sometimes seconds, sometimes until i push the handlebar a little bit.

Keep in touch!

·
Registered
113 Posts
FatalBert,

Yes, it is a metallic noise.
I hear mine only in admission and not on idle and the "glory" of the sound is between 2k - 4k rpm.

Soon the season is ending and i will drop my bike to the dealer.

Recently i discovered problems at the front suspension...
The symptoms are the following: hop on your motorcycle and move it backward slow with your feet, and apply the brake. My suspension remains suspended, sometimes seconds, sometimes until i push the handlebar a little bit.

Keep in touch!
I will need to pay attention when I ride my bike again from 2k-4k.

Did you manage to get a recording of your bike doing it from 2k-4k?

I think that would be very helpful to the community and for people going crazy (like me) to know if it is the same or not.

Thank you!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine has 1250 klms on the clock and is making the same noise, even when warmed up 🤔
If you have a 2018 bike you might have the piston slap problem with the horizontal cilinder. If that's the case get it acknowledged and fixed by the dealer asap.
You might wanna read this. Mine is at the dealer right now for the same issue so I have to wait how everything turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have a 2018 bike you might have the piston slap problem with the horizontal cilinder. If that's the case get it acknowledged and fixed by the dealer asap.
You might wanna read this. Mine is at the dealer right now for the same issue so I have to wait how everything turns out.
Ok, thanks for that - all booked it. Frasers Ducati Concord seemed very helpful to have it in and fixed, under warranty of course. My only concern was the downplay of it being a significant mechanical issue, even long term.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts