1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well

I am a large guy and the 800 always felt a little small

But the real reason was I love the look of the twin exhausts on 1100

I had done a lot of work on my 800 and was very happy with how it rode and went would have liked a bit more power but to be honest for a naked bike it was fast enough

Well when I took the Sport for a ride it had a little more power - but not much and the ride was a little harsher than my 800 but obviously on a test ride could not play

So initially I was not convinced about the change

After 2 weeks of thinking and then seeing the Gloss Black in the metal I decided to pull trigger.

Today I took it for a 130 mike ride

No issues with comfort suspension is not as harsh as the Sport Version but still a little harsher than my 800 with modified suspension

So now I need to play for a few weeks to adjust preload and damping to see if I can improve the already acceptable ride.

Power was fine 95 at just below 6000 RPM - running in Revs

No issues with seat comfort

I will probably change Seat to Sport Version as I prefer the looks

I have Ali mud guards (fenders) and screen in order but they are in back order from Ducati

My only complaint after the ride was the Gear Change lever is a bit short for me and the lever sits in an uncomfortable position on my foot

I had to change the lever on my 800 also to the adjustable one Ducati sell so will need to do the same if it fits.

Overall very happy with today’s ride

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well up to 400 miles on the bike - Standard

As I said previously - needed to play with the suspension..

I am a large guy (115KG) so have been playing - the front forks were only originally using about half travel - 70 to 80 mm. (Including Static Sag)

I tried reducing the compression and rebound damping... that was a no no... bike rode like a pogo stick and only marginally more front fork travel.

So reset the compression and rebound damping and wound off the front preload... bike was back to normal ... bt no more fork travel usage....

OK - so back to basics - try setting Static and Rider Sag

From Previous Scrambler and FTR was looking for

15 to 25mm Static Sag and 25 to 35 Rider Sag on Forks

5 - 15mm Static Sag Rear and 25 to 35mm Rider Sag

Well with adjusting the preload front and rear.. best compromise i could get

25mm Static Sag and 45mm to 50mm Rider Sag on Front (seemed like the front preload adjusters made no difference) and bike did not always return to same spot.

On Rear got to 5mm static Sag and 50mm Rider Sag

So both more than was looking for - but close on the same and still 30 to 33% of the total travel for rider sag.

Took bike out and the handling is much better - bike is firm.. but now am using 125mm of front forks travel - including static sag.... raising the rear has obviously distributed the weight onto the front forks.

Bike now handles like my 800 with the Ohlins and Andreanni.... so no need to spend any money on the suspension to upgrade...to Ohlins... which was a concern... but seems the standard fit are much better on the 1100 than the 800.

Obviously would seem the standard springs are meant for someone 70 to 80KG..

Seat is OK for 120 miles - but I did stand twice for a few minutes to give my arse a break at about 80 and 110 mile mark this morning..

I have ordered the Sport Seat... because I prefer the looks... that should be about a week to arrive...

That's it for now..

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

As promised some more photos

I have now fitted the Aluminium Mudguards (Fenders) from the Special, the Sport Seat and the Evotech Crash bungs.

View attachment 35321 View attachment 35323
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG

The Aluminium Mudguards should have been easy to fit - but the rear needs you to take out the rear light, light mounting bracket and to make life easier - remove the two rear cans - although not essential - if you are lucky with getting the screws back in (I was not on one side)

Think it looks pretty good..

Just the Aluminium Screen and Heated Grips to go...

Already at 520 miles in a week - Plus 250 on my Multi... The good weather is GREAT...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As above - I like the looks on the 1100 better than the 800 - liked the twin pipes.. always wanted another bike with twin pipes since my RG250...

I fancied Black for a change - I have had 3 Red Ducati's so fancied a change.

The Torque is much more - will pull in 6th gear from around 30 without chugging...

It is faster than the 800 - but not that much... but the torque is much more..

Still have not done more that 6000 revs (except the odd false neutral)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Funny you mention that. I am a newbie. I thought it was me. Every once in a while I am going up through the gears and get a neutral instead of a 3, 4 , 5 or 6. So this happens to others as well?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Funny you mention that. I am a newbie. I thought it was me. Every once in a while I am going up through the gears and get a neutral instead of a 3, 4 , 5 or 6. So this happens to others as well?
You are not alone by any means. Mine is a 800 FTP. You have to really pressure the gear lever up and down. Try applying a little bit of pressure before you pull the clutch in. If you treat it like a normal box you are very likely to get a false neutral.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the same issue on my 800 and Multistrada - plus difficulty finding neutral when you want to.

As the miles go on the bike - the problem gets less and up to now by 1000 miles the issue is gone.

My first Multistrada did occasionally have issues between 5th and 6th - but I think it was more me not being firm enough with the change.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had the same issue on my 800 and Multistrada - plus difficulty finding neutral when you want to.

As the miles go on the bike - the problem gets less and up to now by 1000 miles the issue is gone.

My first Multistrada did occasionally have issues between 5th and 6th - but I think it was more me not being firm enough with the change.
2,400 miles and no change ('scuse the pun).

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The only false neutral I get is when I’m lazy shifting from 6th to 5th.

If I shift “positive” I never hit a false neutral.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The only false neutral I get is when I’m lazy shifting from 6th to 5th.

If I shift “positive” I never hit a false neutral.
When that happens can you go either way? I have to blip and go down. If I try to change up it just crunches. It doesn't matter which way I find the false neutral either.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If I miss a gear and get a neutral I generally go up the box rather than down. I'm more comfortable doing that than engine breaking catching me out - if you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts