Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that I am down to 1 bike (1100 Scrambler) I am putting the miles on.. the 1100 is now at around 1800 miles and rear tyre is at maybe 2 to 2.5mm tread in the middle - probably 2 to 3 more rides and its done..

Anyone any suggestions of a harder wearing tread.

I was running Pirelli Scorpion 2 on the Multistrada and getting 3500 rear and 5500 on front.

Need to check if they are available for the Scrambler odd size wheels...

Any other suggestions

All road riding.... no complaints on the MT60 except life...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well now that I am down to 1 bike (1100 Scrambler) I am putting the miles on.. the 1100 is now at around 1800 miles and rear tyre is at maybe 2 to 2.5mm tread in the middle - probably 2 to 3 more rides and its done..

Anyone any suggestions of a harder wearing tread.

I was running Pirelli Scorpion 2 on the Multistrada and getting 3500 rear and 5500 on front.

Need to check if they are available for the Scrambler odd size wheels...

Any other suggestions

All road riding.... no complaints on the MT60 except life...
The wear indicators on the MT60 tyres aren't in the middle and I think that's done for a reason. I think people think that the tyre is worn while looking at the middle section but I guess you can get a bit more from them then that you are getting now. On my 800 the rear lasted about 9500km and I'm quite a heavy dude. Others got way past the 10000km mark.
I will stick with the MT 60 RS's because I think it's a great handling tyre with plenty of grip.I also like the way they look btw.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I think that UK regs require 1mm across 3/4 of the tread including the middle section. This is usually the problem. Even if your chicken strips aren't wide the middle section invariably wears out first.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my 800 scrambler I was also only getting 2500 to 2700 miles on a set also

Probably could have gotten more from the front - maybe 500 miles - but the rear was toast - so as they were both so close to wearing always changed as a set.

I like everything about the MT60 - except the high frequency to change.

I realise others get high mileage from their tyres - but not me.

I change when the centre is less than 1mm for about 20 to 25mm - just about to the UK limit..

I am a heavy guy 115KG + gear

Not a superhero as far as cornering.. but also not slow.

Typically see 100 to 110 miles before the fuel light comes on.

I searched last night and Scorpion 2 is not an option

There are more choices than I show below - but this is what I have so far

Bridgestone T30 Evo - £182 - Set + Fitting
Pirelli Angel GT - £222 - Set + Fitting
Mitchelin PR4 - £222 - Set + Fitting
Dunlop Road Smart 3 - £236 Set + Fitting

Thoughts..

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK

Just went and checked tyres

Rear tread depth is 2.3 to 2.4mm - so has 1.3mm wear left

New tyre had 6.5mm tread depth - so worn 4.1mm in 1750 miles.

So have about another 550 miles left .. so 4 to 5 rides - bit more than I thought.

So that would put me at 2300 miles a rear tyre - so 10 to 20% less than on the 800..

The front has between 3.6 and 4.0mm so has 2.6mm wear left in it..

New front was 4.8mm deep - so its used 1.2mm in 1750 miles - so would say approx 3500 miles left in it.

So If I just change rear for now - then that would give me 2300 New rear + 550 old rear - 2850 miles..

So looks like I can just get away with changing the rear this time (to another MT60) and then change the front and rear next time...

Fronts on the 1100 seem to be wearing better than they did on the 800..

But the question still stands ... which ones?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts