Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

What bikes did you consider before picking the Scrambler 1100?

• BMW RNineT

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Triumph Scrambler

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Ducati Scrambler 803

• Triumph Speed Twin

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Indian FTR 1200

• Husqvarna Svartpilen 701

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other (write in comments)

Votes: 1 6.7%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other bikes did you consider (see poll) and why did you choose the Ducati Scrambler 1100?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I came from a monster 797 so there was no point looking at the scrambler 803 as it's the same bike in different clothes.

I wanted something with a more retro look and even though I'm not sold on the black colour, the ohlins and lowered bars with end mirrors look just hit the spot for me so I went for the 1100 sport pro just like you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did like the look of the Indian FTR1200 but some reviews said the slim rear tyre meant it lost grip very quickly which was part of its charm but didn't appeal to me. Also my daughters were set on another Ducati... So that was that

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I have an FTR1200, ask me anything. And yes, the stock tires aren't really amazing, but easily replaced with decent sport touring rubber.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I considered:

Triumph Speed Twin
BMW R1200/1250R
BMW R9T
Yamaha MT/XSR

Ultimately, I chose the Ducati Sport because it was the best combination of style, value, riding position, and performance for me.

I appreciate the fact that I have a great suspension, and cornering ABS, which I value more these days than HP numbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an FTR1200, ask me anything. And yes, the stock tires aren't really amazing, but easily replaced with decent sport touring rubber.
If i went with ftr, I’d probably go with the 2019/2020 version rather than the new one. I know the 19/18 wheels make it tougher to find tires and impacts handling but the larger wheels are what made it stand out. I know i am probably in the e minority though

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
As soon as you’re rolling it’s ok, the fuel tank is under the seat so weight is carried low.

it’s a waaay funner bike than a DS for instance.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Out of all these find the finish and parts used better then the competition.
Also the engine of the Ducati gives it a lot more character and riding fun compared to the R Nine T(all though this is much faster and powerfull it just isn't as much fun or cool sounding).
The Triumph is also very well specced but to much off road orientated for my needs and again I like the Duc engine and looks better.
If I was to switch I still would considder a R nine T urban GS as I do really like the way that looks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speed Twin (caught in supply no-man's land with Euro 4 to 5 changeover) so dismissed, as time isn't on my side. BMW F900R - not bad but uncomfortable seat and a bit too sporting (I'm retired and not very fit/bendy). Yam MT-09 - nice composed bike (the 2021 version) but not enough character in that triple engine. Don't like tall/adventure style which has become the new 'sports touring' and was aiming for about 65lb/ft of torque from low down. There's actually very little choice, especially after factoring-in cost (tried to keep things below £11k) and availability (covid). Liked grin factor and sound of Scrambler and it suited my slowing things down mood as I age.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have both Scrambler 1100 and Yamaha MT-09, quite different bikes for different riding, but that triple has character up the wazoo! :)

Almost bought Speed Twin but Scrambler just felt livelier.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have both Scrambler 1100 and Yamaha MT-09, quite different bikes for different riding, but that triple has character up the wazoo! :)

Almost bought Speed Twin but Scrambler just felt livelier.
Interesting combination, Scrambler 800 and MT-09 here also! Definitely a different character to each bike and the triple is NOT short of personality, much like riding a wild mustang that may murder you at any moment haha

Reactions: liberpolly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting combination, Scrambler 800 and MT-09 here also! Definitely a different character to each bike and the triple is NOT short of personality, much like riding a wild mustang that may murder you at any moment haha
I had an xsr900, which has the same engine as mt09, and i agree — it is one of the best engines out there. It was a great bike at the price point but i just never loved it. Then I went with a moto guzzi v7iii, which I loved but became frustrated with the power. The Scrambler 1100 has a lot of what i love about both bikes but in a more refined package.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Or like a hive of angry wasps :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts