Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an Icon and I'm planning to do a lot of road trips on my icon. I would like to know how it is in long trips and what mods you had to make to the bike in order to make it more comfortable.

I bought some accessories already but I'm not sure if I have it all. I almost feel like I'm making my icon more like a desert sled with the mods and now I'm thinking if I should have bought the desert sled instead lol - the struggle is real :/

I thought about buying the mustang seat but I'm not sure if the seat is lower than the comfort seat I have. I'm 6ft and my weight is 180, I don't want to have my legs cramped in case the mustang seat is lower than the one I have now. Any thoughts on the mustang seat? is it good for tall people?

SOrry for asking too many questions but I guess I dont have anybody else to ask these questions.

thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The great thing about the Scrambler is that it doesn't thorougly suck at anything, including touring. My longest journey was about 1800 km in 4 days. Perhaps not as comfortable in the long run as the BMW GS1200, but get off the highway and find a mountain path with plenty of hairpin curves, can't find a better bike.

I can't speak for the Mustang but from what I heard it isn't waterproof which is why I went for the more expensive Sargent seat.. which I recommend. It allows me to sit comfortably in a number of positions. A screen is preferable, the Dart is a tad small for touring but most other screens ruins the beautiful lines of the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The great thing about the Scrambler is that it doesn't thorougly suck at anything, including touring. My longest journey was about 1800 km in 4 days. Perhaps not as comfortable in the long run as the BMW GS1200, but get off the highway and find a mountain path with plenty of hairpin curves, can't find a better bike.

I can't speak for the Mustang but from what I heard it isn't waterproof which is why I went for the more expensive Sargent seat.. which I recommend. It allows me to sit comfortably in a number of positions. A screen is preferable, the Dart is a tad small for touring but most other screens ruins the beautiful lines of the bike.
I wonder if the desert sled is more adventure oriented than the icon. I bought a screen so hopefully it works out well.

For some reason I love the simplicity of the scrambler. I love the multistrada and other big adventure bikes but given the fact that they have so much tech i'd be afraid of something going wrong in the middle of nowhere and being stuck due a technical issue. It's why i would prefer to make the scrambler a more touring bike - I'm even thinking about getting the desert sled next year if the upgrade is worth it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I do a lot of touring on my Scrambler. A high enough screen, a comfy seat and perhaps a rear shock and spring upgrade for the front and you're good to go. Add to that a luggage option and multi day trips is all fun and games.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do a lot of touring on my Scrambler. A high enough screen, a comfy seat and perhaps a rear shock and spring upgrade for the front and you're good to go. Add to that a luggage option and multi day trips is all fun and games.

I bought the screen scramblerducati.com sell on their website. Now im wondering if it's good enough.... what front spring for the front is good? thanks !

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Harry,

You might consider options other than the Mustang for your seat upgrade. From what I've read, the shape of the seat tends to hold you in place rather than allow you to scoot around as need be. At your height I'd worry the Mustang will be too confining. On a budget, the Seat Concepts kit is the way to go, in my opinion. If you have the cash, the Sargent is probably at the top of the list. Astroscrambler offers a line of Nitroheads seats, but we don't hear much about them.

Sarah

·
Registered
734 Posts
agree 100% with Phil, with the recommended upgrades you will have a pleasant Scrambler ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We've been touring on our scramblers, the seat was the first thing we changed, also changed the bars to Full thottle bars and exhaust. Plenty of power, not uncomfortable, smooth and all around fun.

I haven’t taken mine off road yet. How does it handle off road?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
what front spring for the front is good?
I used front Ohlins fork spring kit (FSK 113) and front fork fluid #5 but there are a number of options. All I have to compare it with was the OEM rods that were in there and the difference is that I now still have all the fillings in my teeth. Seriously, it makes a huge difference. No more jarring over slight bumps and it stays planted while cornering. Definitely recommended.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used front Ohlins fork spring kit (FSK 113) and front fork fluid #5 but there are a number of options. All I have to compare it with was the OEM rods that were in there and the difference is that I now still have all the fillings in my teeth. Seriously, it makes a huge difference. No more jarring over slight bumps and it stays planted while cornering. Definitely recommended.

thanks for your response.

I was looking at these suspensions and to be honest it's pretty expensive. I do not want to keep spending money on it. I sent an email to a Ducati dealership that has a desert sled for a good price to see if i can trade it in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Standart scramblers feel a little cramped even for an average height. Extended rides are felt in the knee if you're not short. It's best for weekend adventures within a two hour radius.
Desert sled is much better on this regard. It makes an excellent old school touring bike with a few simple mods.
You may want to follow Henry Crew in Instagram. He's going around the world on a DS right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased a mustang and returned it. I think it is too confining and the upholstery was to grippy for me. I bought a Sargent seat and I'm very satisfied with it. It may be a touch closer to the ground but I don't notice because I'm 5'7" and the seat is a little wider.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts