Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here.

Was lurking the forums and was nicely surprised that it seems quite a bit of riders here aren't from scramblers marketing target crowd (young, new to bikes), but rather older riders, even upwards of 50. Did i get the right impression?

came close to getting one myself - was deciding between a monster and scrambler earlier this year, but a deal came thru that i couldnt refuse - a 2006 sport 1000 - but i'm still pinning for a scrambler to add to the stable somewhere down the line and the fact its found a niche even with experience riders (i'm closing in on 40 and have been riding since my late teens) give me hope that the bike isnt a flash in the pan.

i just like the idea of the scrambler as a classic looking bike thats an alternative to triumph and HD for those just want to cruise.

thx for reading, cheers.

KA

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think there is an obvious comparison with Triumph Scrambler but the Duc is really nicer in that it is 100 lbs lighter with 25 extra HP. I think the traditional Harleys don't compare in that they are bigger bke with bigger engines and lots of low end torque (mine redlined a little over 4g rpm and weighed aprox 700 pounds), but Harleys have a unique and loyal following with a lot of dealer events and runs and general comradery. I really think they are almost a separate group that all other bikes. Having said that, I got rid of my Harley when I got my scrambler because it gave me a comfortable upright sitting position and was a hell of a lot easier to maneuver and even to get out of my shed.
BTW: I am 61 and am not sure what the target market is for the scrambler. It is light and nimble enough for a beginner but appeals to a wide range of people.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
150 Posts
40! your 'aving a laff bliming whipper snapper!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm in the older group as well, and when I had talked to many people at the local Ducati dealer all of them mentioned that in their estimation about 90% of all buyers were in my age range.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I'm in the older category and I bought my Classic because it reminded me of the bikes I lusted after when I was a kid growing up.

I also have a Panigale for the youngster in me.

Oh and also bought the Scrambler because I could ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm approaching mid 50's in age and mid 20's in behaviour. The Scrambler is the first modern bike to appeal to me for many years. I have had Japanese sports bikes, euro trail bikes and mxer's over the years, and as most of my riding these days is around the bumpy back roads of the Lake District a trail bike of sorts is ideal. However these are limited as my wife would unlikely be able to go on the back, and the seats are too high on most. I had thought about BMW's and Triumph but the Scrambler is so much prettier, and ideal for my use. Need to sort the suspension soon though.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
52 physically, mentally in my 20's.

Been riding, constantly, since the age of 12 or so. Cut my teeth on mini-bikes and dual sports - running from the cops by riding down the railroad tracks of the inner city. This translated into a career as a road racer on the pro circuit while in my early to mid 20's - before retiring due to the limits of orthopedic surgery back in the day. Remained in constant contact with my "first love" throughout the rest of my life, became a factory certified mechanic and then a mechanical engineer.

All the time wishing and waiting for someone to offer an air-cooled twin, with mid displacement and hp in the 70 to 80 range, and light weight characteristics - but with modern niceties like FI.

Didn't want it to be Ducati - but they did it - so I jumped aboard.

Reactions: El Toro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
40! your 'aving a laff bliming whipper snapper!
haha :binkybaby:

must be a cultural thing, i think. where i'm at (south east asia) the older groups tend to be split into 2: the lifestyle riders who get into riding late going for marquee brands like HD, triumph's classic range. the other being the more hardcore guys, who stick to UJMs - cuz they like riding fast on highways.

we've got a healthy retro/custom scene and supermoto culture here, and these is where i'm seeing guys who pick up ducati for the 1st time via the scrambler. these groups i'd say range between 20 somethings to 40 somethings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts