Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking of buying a Scrambler urban enduro ( and decking it out as an adventure bike ) would Scrambler owners please give me some advice and answer some questions , as motorcycle mags are really paid advertising and they won't really tell it how it is ( otherwise they may not get other bikes to test ) Also I am short so the Scrambler suits my high perfectly.
QUESTIONS
1. What is Ducati,s after sale service like and parts supply
2. What are the serving schedules and cost
3. Are getting front tyres for an 18 in an issue ( or can a 19in be fitted - for whatever? )
4. What average kms do you get on the 13.5 lt tank ( can a larger tank be fitted ) I would like to get a minimum of 300km distance
5. Are thier crash bars ,screen , rear after market rack that can be purchased
6. What are the common faults of the bike so far ( besides hard seat and suspension ) that can be fixed
7. Has anyone done some long distance touring and what was it like
8. What is it like 2 up
9. What is the alternator output like ( eg could you run say heated grips ,charge phone and also run a heated
Vest at same time
10. How does it handle on the twisties, do you have to really crank it over to scrape the pegs
11. Top speed
Thats all I can think of right know , I presently ride a 2014 Triumph Tiger sport , and a Suzuki DRZ 400 , I need a lighter bike as my knees and back are not the best so the Scrambler suits my requirements

Regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul, :)
Thats a lot of questions , I'll do my best to answer some of them :rolleyes:

1, I've found it to be excellent
2, 1000k, 12000k, then 12000k intervals, I had the first service foc, Not sure of cost for 12000k ,
3, The standard tyres are quite amazing IMHO, There is enough room to fit a larger diameter front
4, Around 130 miles, ;)
5, No not really, but given time i'm sure someone will come up with something,
6, Non that I can think of,
7, Thats a question Ogre could answer for you :)
8, Maybe Albie could help you out with that :)
9, I haven't tried the heated vest but I feel certain it would cope on the open road,
10, Brilliant, and yes you do, I've done my boots but not the pegs :D
11, I've only been up to 100 mph a couple of times,
12, :D Just go and get a test ride, I'd like bet you'll buy one :rolleyes:

Hope this helps, G ,

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hiya, I'll answer a few more:

4. I've got 160+ miles to my tank although I usually fuel up after every ride out - however most people don't get quite that much.. My average fuel consumption is about 60mpg (UK)
5. Don't know about the crash bars but I have Evotech crash bungs, and yes there are screens and rear racks (I have both)
9. I have run both heated gloves and vest at the same time, no probs - I do tend to keep the battery connected to an Optimate though esp in cold weather
10. It's brilliant in the twisties, it's what it's made for!
11. I've got up tp 118, it had more to give - think some have got over 120 but it probably won't go more than that

It's a fab bike :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya, I'll answer a few more:

4. I've got 160+ miles to my tank although I usually fuel up after every ride out - however most people don't get quite that much.. My average fuel consumption is about 60mpg (UK)
5. Don't know about the crash bars but I have Evotech crash bungs, and yes there are screens and rear racks (I have both)
9. I have run both heated gloves and vest at the same time, no probs - I do tend to keep the battery connected to an Optimate though esp in cold weather
10. It's brilliant in the twisties, it's what it's made for!
11. I've got up tp 118, it had more to give - think some have got over 120 but it probably won't go more than that

It's a fab bike :)
Have you got pics of your bike ,would be great to see ! , thanks for the info

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum Paul, :)
Thats a lot of questions , I'll do my best to answer some of them :rolleyes:

1, I've found it to be excellent
2, 1000k, 12000k, then 12000k intervals, I had the first service foc, Not sure of cost for 12000k ,
3, The standard tyres are quite amazing IMHO, There is enough room to fit a larger diameter front
4, Around 130 miles, ;)
5, No not really, but given time i'm sure someone will come up with something,
6, Non that I can think of,
7, Thats a question Ogre could answer for you :)
8, Maybe Albie could help you out with that :)
9, I haven't tried the heated vest but I feel certain it would cope on the open road,
10, Brilliant, and yes you do, I've done my boots but not the pegs :D
11, I've only been up to 100 mph a couple of times,
12, :D Just go and get a test ride, I'd like bet you'll buy one :rolleyes:

Hope this helps, G ,
Thank you so much for your reply ,you have been very helpful

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DR650?
Really easy to set up as an adventure bike and only 150kg.
The scrambler wasn't really designed as an adventure bike.
I have been down that road before , the DR is a great 50/50 I guess ( well at least as close as any bike will get ) does both road and off well ( more off ) but not both very well, but no bike will , I wont more road than dirt ( but a
A bike not to heavy or to high ( as im short ) big advantage bikes are overrated in my option, as a wise motorcycle adventurer once said NO ONE EVER COMPLAINED ABOUT SMALLER AND LIGHTER JUST BIGGER AND HEAVYER !

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have been down that road before , the DR is a great 50/50 I guess ( well at least as close as any bike will get ) does both road and off well ( more off ) but not both very well, but no bike will , I wont more road than dirt ( but a
A bike not to heavy or to high ( as im short ) big advantage bikes are overrated in my option, as a wise motorcycle adventurer once said NO ONE EVER COMPLAINED ABOUT SMALLER AND LIGHTER JUST BIGGER AND HEAVYER !
Agree. I went from a Tiger 800XC to the DR650, now with 17" wheels and I enjoy it on road, never taken it off road! The XC was too big for my urban back roads commute (lots of roundabouts). The DR on road wheels and tyres is a fun commuter and different from the usual Jap twins. And cheap! Half the price of the Scrambler UE.
Am getting a Scrambler any day now (waiting, waiting) as it seems the perfect road bike for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree. I went from a Tiger 800XC to the DR650, now with 17" wheels and I enjoy it on road, never taken it off road! The XC was too big for my urban back roads commute (lots of roundabouts). The DR on road wheels and tyres is a fun commuter and different from the usual Jap twins. And cheap! Half the price of the Scrambler UE.
Am getting a Scrambler any day now (waiting, waiting) as it seems the perfect road bike for me.
I had a Tiger 800 ( not XC ) prior to that a 955i Tiger, Traded the 800 in on the 1050 Sport, its a great bike handles like rails, exelent ABS good fuel range 350 kms , but for me its a big heavy and tall ( I have bad knees and back) also as I said before the Scrambler is abit more off road than the T/S , I do have a Suzuki DRZ 400 but I use that to go sick in the scrab ( not the best for road use)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts