Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new scrambler and have hit 300 miles. I’ve read on some treads that it is good for the engine to change the oil and filter after 250 miles to clean the bikes engine of metallic shavings that have come loose. Those metallic shavings supposedly can do damage. I’ve read elsewear that after that first oil change, your break in period is nulled. Is this true?
Yes I’ve read the manual and I know the first service is scheduled at 600 miles..but this is my first bike and it cost a lot of money so I’m therefore, treating it like gold. Not too much pamepering, but want to do the right pampering. Thoughts on this?

Btw does anyone ride with a helite vest or jacket?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
An xtra oil change can never hurt (I think it's good actually, for the reasons you mentioned). I don't know what you mean with "break in period nulled" after the first oil change.

About the only things that really need to break in on modern engines are the piston rings anyway, of which the majority was done in the factory.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As I posted in another thread both the Ducati organisation and the oil companies employ an awful lot of very clever engineers to work out exactly when oil changes are required and how those changes affect the overall engine longevity and performance. If you know better than they do go ahead and change the oil prematurely and do your bit towards increasing unnecessary waste and pollution.

As to the Hellite I have never worn one but I'm also old school and don't wear fluro unless I have to on an event. I do have a mate who wore one for several years but he has decided that comfort overcomes protection and has gone to a jacket with passive armour.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
About the only things that really need to break in on modern engines are the piston rings anyway, of which the majority was done in the factory.
Does this mean there’s no wear in the gearbox, clutch plates and primary drive which leads to smoother gear changes and easier to to find neutral after some mileage. Why Is that ?
Just wondering as I’m new to this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I know it's tempting (I've had several new bikes), but I personally would not change the oil prior to the recommended 600 miles. Simply not worth the time/money/risk. You will see no appreciable difference in engine life - there are far more common factors that will determine that.

For "break-in" it far more important is to vary the engine loading, not rev crazy hard for long periods and let the engine warm up enough on each start up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Have a new scrambler and have hit 300 miles. I’ve read on some treads that it is good for the engine to change the oil and filter after 250 miles to clean the bikes engine of metallic shavings that have come loose. Those metallic shavings supposedly can do damage. I’ve read elsewear that after that first oil change, your break in period is nulled. Is this true?
Yes I’ve read the manual and I know the first service is scheduled at 600 miles..but this is my first bike and it cost a lot of money so I’m therefore, treating it like gold. Not too much pamepering, but want to do the right pampering. Thoughts on this?

I wear a jacket with elbows, shoulders & back protection 99% of the time, plus gloves/Bates beltline boots(100%). On long ride also wear riding (motorcycle) jeans. Helite vest-NO.

In terms of oil change?, I would prefer to change oil/filter earlier than is recommended, why?, I live in the tropic - hot weather!!!, Scrambler engine is cooled with oil/air, I really want to maintain engine in top condition. I know some members will not agree, but lets see who bike in the long term will last longer w/o problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts