Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question because it seems the Italia Independent forum is not very busy.

According to the VIN # the Italia Independent Scrambler is a stock Classic with a different look and some parts?

I want to know because I am asking help on tidy tail kids, performance air filters and anything else worth changing on my Italia.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
All Scrambler 800 use the same airfilters, so that's not a problem.

The Italia Independent does use a different rear fender than the Classic (shorter). A tail tidy for an Icon or a Street Classic however should fit perfectly afaik.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
That should fit afaik

btw, why do you want a "performance" air filter. Cleaning them is a mess imho, and most people never clean them anyway. They let in more fine dust than the stock one does, and if there's any performance gain, it still negligible.

Waste of money, and could even void your warranty.

Unless.....

Unless you go the full mile and install a different exhaust, mod the airbox and have a custom map flashed on you ECU. Then you want every last % of possible gain.

On a stock bike however? Dunno man...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok fair enough, the Italia already has a termi exhaust and I like it so I'm good...I've always used K&N air filters in my car and don't mind cleaning them once a year. This is why I thought it would be a good idea...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a quick question because it seems the Italia Independent forum is not very busy.

According to the VIN # the Italia Independent Scrambler is a stock Classic with a different look and some parts?

I want to know because I am asking help on tidy tail kids, performance air filters and anything else worth changing on my Italia.

Thanks in advance
Italia Independent is a limited edition, with no performance enhancements. It has a drag bar and tasteful color choices.

If you are looking for performance, air filter, exhaust, a better suspension and tune up! Check out these parts!
Performance Modifications

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone installed the 16t front sprocket and found a fitting issue on the Italia? Having to file the casting to get it to fit?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MWR Air Filter and Power Up Kit

How about this air filter kit? I see it says 50% more air flow but what does that actually translate to in terms of overall performance? I did msg them on FB to see what they will reply with but I thought I would ask here.

Also, are the filter brackets/filter reusable and how are they cleaned?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Apparently, with a proper reflash a great improvement on midrange torque

Looks like they are foam filters. Wash 'em, let them dry and oil 'em again with air filter oil and you should be good. Just like an MX bike

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, so complete noobie questions now. Just finished reading the manual and I'm wondering about all the different lubricants they recommend for certain things...I'm assuming that similarly to cars, one can use different brands of lubricants, oils, grease products and you will achieve the same results without damaging any components?

This is what I gathered from the manual and I'm curious if there is a general type grease/lubricant I can use for the various cables, joints, nuts, screws etc?

Cables/Joints --> recommended is Shell Advance or Retinax LX2
Wheel shaft nut thread --> recommended is Shell Retinax HDX2
Adjuster screws --> recommended is Shell Alvania R3

Drive Chain --> Shell Advance Chain or Advance Teflon Chain (manual says to not use water cleaners or steam cleaners?) Ta heck are water and steam cleaners?

Engine oil --> Shell Advance 4T Ultra 15W-50 or any 15W-50 equivalent?

What is the model of the oil filter? Manual doesn't specify.

My last question is regarding washing. I've watched the youtube video where a guy power washes it, dries it etc, I've talked to people which say power washing is ok as long as you're not an idiot with it...manual strictly says to not do it...

Thanks in advance for getting me started here with my first bike.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I make a point to avoid power washers, the force of the spray sends water places it shouldn't. I'm firm on that one.

For the oil filter, take a look here at the parts fiche:

Scrambler Ducati motorcycle # DUCATI Online Genuine Spare Parts Catalog

And Hiflo offers a filter:

Hiflofiltro Premium Filters

And I like the Dupont chain lube:

DuPont™ Chain-Saver with Teflon® Fluoropolymer For Chain-Driven Vehicles

Seems to work, and by far the cleanest I've found. Works well on the side stand pivot, too. I've not tried to find the particular Shell products mentioned in the manual, but I don't think I've ever seen them on the shelves anywhere. Over the years we've accumulated a stock of stuff in the garage, nothing Shell that I can think of, other than their motor oil.

Sarah

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info.

What about the other lubricants/grease products? Are there any alternatives or a all in one that can be used instead of buying 3 separate products?

Also, I'm in Canada so I will have to find Canadian distributors of the parts, other than amazon.ca

·
Registered
287 Posts
Oil, and oil filters, are a source of much debate. You'll find that people have their opinions and they belive it to be gospel.

Personally I use Amsoil products. The EaoM 138 oil filter and MCF 10w-40 oil. I don't use their "V-Twin" oil because I was told a long time ago by someone I trust that it is not intended for high RPM bikes like the Ducati. It is meant for the v-twin cruisers.

I also put a neodymium, or, rare earth, magnet on the bottom of my oil filter. It is about 1.5 inches in diameter and .5 inch thick.

I also use the DuPont Chain Saver on the chain.

For the other stuff I just use a general purpose lubricant.

This thread on the Monster forums has been condensed from its original form but most of the information is still present. I met George through the DesmOhio DOC and would talk with him regularly. He was a lubrication engineer.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=1912.0

-Bob

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi Bob, so you use the 10w-40 instead of 15w-50? "V-Twin" instead of 4T?
Since my Scramber is new, less than 1 mile, I have not looked at what the recommemded viscosity is.

But, my previous bike was a Ducati ST4s which has a water cooled 4-valve engine. I used the Amsoil MCF 10W-40 in that bike.

10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil

I do not use Amsoil's "V-Twin" branded oil in the Ducati.

ryanr256 the oil plug is magnetic already....
Yes, it is. But I still put the Neo on the bottom of the filter. Personal preference. :)

-Bob

Reactions: xPepi
1 - 20 of 78 Posts