Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Scrambler have a CAN bus or is it just plain old electrical wiring? I suspect its CAN bus but in some ways hope its not.

Second related question.
Does anybody know how much spare power is available from the alternator to power accessories such as DRLs or spot lights (I know Scramblers won't look cool with spots but I have hit a kangaroo when doing 90kph at 11pm so I like plenty of night light and want the Scrambler to have it as well) and any other electric devices?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
255 Posts
given I've been able to add accessories that didn't need coding to a CAN bus. It's plain old wiring.

I'll wait for an expert with more qualifications to confirm.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Scrambler does use CAN bus but it's a pretty basic implementation mainly for carrying information between the ECU, dash and ABS unit. The parking lights, horn and brake light circuits are completely conventional but the headlight and indicators are powered through the dash.
Your best and easiest place to pick up power for accessory lighting is from the back of the USB connector beside the battery. This is supplied fuse No1 which is ignition switched. The fuse is 10A but should have enough spare capacity to run LED DRLs. If you need more current a relay switched by this circuit to connect direct to the battery via a suitable fuse would be the way to go.
The alternator is rated at 490W, about twice what is required to keep the bike going. So plenty of spare capacity.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Scrambler does use CAN bus but it's a pretty basic implementation mainly for carrying information between the ECU, dash and ABS unit.
The alternator is rated at 490W, about twice what is required to keep the bike going. So plenty of spare capacity.
Thanks. very similar to the Tiger then CAN Bus simply for the brains part.
I found out that the alternator is 490W but it's good to know there is plenty of spare with LED lights these days the power required for lights is way less than you used to need anyway.
For the electrical connection I would probably use an Eastern Beaver 3 circuit switched fuse block and take the switching circuit from the wire you suggest or from a taillight wire. I've used Jim Davis' products from years and swear by them as far as fuse blocks and the like for bikes are concerned. With the 3 circuit block I could do the lights and if we wanted easily hard wire a GPS or a handle bar mount USB circuit for charging if the need ever arose.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That sounds like a good way to go. You obviously know what you're doing :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts