Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up Urban Enduro, is the front suspension suppose to be this bad? Was in a rude awakening the first bump I hit with it. JARRING Do these come from the factory with too much oil in the forks or what's the deal here?

Other than that, loving the bike. But my god is the front suspension bad. It gets HOT too at stops but I can deal with that. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Have a look at YouTube 'two clicks out ducati scrambler'.
Also on this forum at Vincehelp's washers mod to tighten up the bottom clamp for the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Cut 1/2 inch off the plastic preload spacer in the right fork leg, helps a bunch.

Sarah

·
Registered
151 Posts
What TC3 said. The suspension is trash.

I'm too cheap to replace it so I make my elbows and knees do the work. Move closer to the tank in order to be in the middle of the bike, loosen my arms, and shift some weight off my butt and to the pegs through the feet.

After about a month of the stock grips, I bought a set of Grip Puppy grips that go over the stock ones. The extra padding goes a long way to reduce the jarring effect of bumps.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's just cheapie plastic, Phil. Messing with the length of preload spacers is a trick that goes back forever, pvc pipe called into duty lots of times.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
OK thanks.

How does it actually work?
the spacer is placed in the leg after the spring causing the spring to preload when the cap is screwed on. By changing the length of the sleeve you are effectively changing the amount of spring preload. If the bike has preload adjusters then they would do almost the same thing depending on how much you want to adjust it by as adjusters are a finer way of doing it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
the spacer is placed in the leg after the spring causing the spring to preload when the cap is screwed on. By changing the length of the sleeve you are effectively changing the amount of spring preload. If the bike has preload adjusters then they would do almost the same thing depending on how much you want to adjust it by as adjusters are a finer way of doing it.
Have you cut 1/2 inch off yours Hui or upgraded the suspension?
Do you recommend it (1/2 inch off) as a good (and considerably cheaper) option?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
What are your static sag and rider sag figures Phil?
Don't be personal.
I can't remember but both were more than recommended. I weigh about 12st 7lb with my gear on.
The rear shock was on the lowest setting and I moved it to the middle.
I have also pulled the front forks through to 10mm. This was to try and stop the front diving so much.
The bike was actually handling well on the track before I did the above but these potholes are something else and really made the front dive. Haven't ridden it since dropping the front 10mm.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Don't be personal.
I can't remember but both were more than recommended. I weigh about 12st 7lb with my gear on.
The rear shock was on the lowest setting and I moved it to the middle.
I have also pulled the front forks through to 10mm. This was to try and stop the front diving so much.
The bike was actually handling well on the track before I did the above but these potholes are something else and really made the front dive. Haven't ridden it since dropping the front 10mm.
Dropping the forks through the yolks or effectively raising the forks 10mm is a huge amount and will effect how the bike handles (turns in)

Not sure it will have any effect on forks diving - if anything would make the Weight transfer to front and the dive worse as the bike would already be pointing down more

Cutting the plastic preload spacer would make preload less and also as a result increase fork dive

Basically the front suspension and also rear shock on bike are just cheap and low quality and set up for a 10 stone 70 KG rider ... but even for one of those I am not sure it’s good enough..?

I would not know...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Why do people hate fork dive? It’s just the result of the weight shifting forward during braking...

Set your forks up to reduce dive and the ride typically becomes even harsher.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts