Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 796 Hypermoto came with, I believe, a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. This is done to help with noise testing in the good ole' US of A. Pretty much everyone on the planet, including myself, drops the 15 tooth to a 14 which makes 6th gear actually usable below 70 mph. Given how tall first gear is with the 14, I cannot imagine having ridden the bike with the 15 in place.

I have not seen any reports about regearing the Scrambler. Has this not been an issue?

This is one of those things I'd like taken care of before I pick the bike up and figure it is one that I can follow the advice of others.

Thanks.

NC

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
The Scrambler is geared differently from the "Ductard". Most - myself included - find the stock gearing (15T front, 46T rear) to be too short already. Going up to a 16T front on this bike is actually a benefit.

See all the details, HERE.

Reactions: nuttynick

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting people find the gearing short. After reading your post I was able to find that the sprockets on my Supermoto were 15/41 standard and I went to a 14/41. The Scrambler is 15/46. Mathematically they are very close. Internal gearing is identical based on the below so I think the gearing will be perfect for me.

NC

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am having a 16t front sprocket installed next week. My general feeling is that fewer rpms at highway speed will suit me. I think the close gearing will still supply all of the "quickness" that I need. I will post my observations about the change.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I must be just very average. Performance, handling, comfort etc is all spot on for me. I don't know what you're all moaning about :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Even though my bike is running at higher RPMs on the highway than my other bikes, it's running smoother. So I haven't changed the gearing since I'm getting good fuel economy with a smooth running engine even though I'm ripping down the highway at 6k RPM. Ear plugs have really helped make it even more smooth on the interstate.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Down the road I will Iikely also do the 16 front sprocket mod. I'm guessing that the gearing originally was done with some light off road considerations in mind, but I don't see myself doing too much of that where I live.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was not moaning about the handling, or the gearing... just a small and relatively inexpensive mod to make the bike suit my personal riding preferences. If this was an expensive change I would not do it. I was very happy with the bike as it left the dealer... now the fine tuning is more fun than necessary.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Interesting people find the gearing short. After reading your post I was able to find that the sprockets on my Supermoto were 15/41 standard and I went to a 14/41. The Scrambler is 15/46. Mathematically they are very close. Internal gearing is identical based on the below so I think the gearing will be perfect for me.
I'm confused...

Your preferred gearing on the Hypermoto (14/41) is significantly taller than the stock gearing on the Scrambler (15/46 - roughly equivalent to 14/49).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm confused...

Your preferred gearing on the Hypermoto (14/41) is significantly taller than the stock gearing on the Scrambler (15/46 - roughly equivalent to 14/49).
I think you have it backwards. If I geared the rear sprocket "down" by going to a 46 tooth like the Scrambler I would have lower gearing. If I then added a 15 tooth countershaft I am now offsetting the lower rear gear by having a taller front gear.

If I convert the gearing to a mathematical ratio, the 14/41 works out to 2.93 teeth on the rear sprocket for every one on the front. The 15/46 works out to 3.07 teeth on the rear for every one on the front. That is very close.

NC

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I just rode my Hypermoto and Scrambler back to back and either my bikes are not geared like the website says they are or the website is wrong. At 4,000 in second gear my Scrambler is doing 30 mph and if I kick up to third gear at 4,000 rpm I am going about 40 mph. The Hypermoto is a few miles an hour faster in both those gears at the same rpm. 6th is definitely taller.

Having said that I don't plan on any real long trips with the Scrambler or consistent running at 70 mph so I'll probably just live with it. Then again dropping a couple teeth on the rear sprocket may not be a bad idea.

I still think my math is correct but the numbers supplied by Ducati must not be.

NC

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Hypermoto is geared taller than the scrambler (stock). Down teeth in back is taller (gives you longer legs on the highway). If both in the same gear at same speed Scrambler will be higher RPM.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Hypermoto is geared taller than the scrambler (stock). Down teeth in back is taller (gives you longer legs on the highway). If both in the same gear at same speed Scrambler will be higher RPM.
That is exactly where I was going. Internal gearing is the same but based on the smaller rear sprocket the Hyper has taller gearing. But when I went to the smaller front sprocket, it should have very nearly evened out. But since I have seen such a big difference in revs at given speeds, I think the internal gears may not be the same or my mathematical ratios of 3.07 and 2.92 translate into a much larger real world difference. I do like this theoretical stuff but it likely bores the rest of the Scrambler planet.

NC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I know the camshafts are different (11 degree valve overlap angle) in the Scrambler as well I'm sure that accounts for the other differences.... supposedly that makes the power deliver more linear. Based on the raggedness of the Monster 796 and especially the M1100 power delivery I can believe it. Scrambler does seem revvier on the highway, but honestly I love the power delivery as is. Everyone has own tastes though... lol. Doesn't hurt anything to change the sprockets up and it's a cheap change to try and mod to taste.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well said.

I don't see me maintaining more than 60 mph for any long stretches so I'll leave the gearing as is for now as well.

NC

Yeah I know the camshafts are different (11 degree valve overlap angle) in the Scrambler as well I'm sure that accounts for the other differences.... supposedly that makes the power deliver more linear. Based on the raggedness of the Monster 796 and especially the M1100 power delivery I can believe it. Scrambler does seem revvier on the highway, but honestly I love the power delivery as is. Everyone has own tastes though... lol. Doesn't hurt anything to change the sprockets up and it's a cheap change to try and mod to taste.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I agree NC , I don't have my Scrambler to rush up and down motorways/freeways , so the gearing is fine for me too, ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have changed the rear sprocket on my classic from 46T to 44t . The sprocket cost about £31 (inc postage) and pretty straight forward to fit so thought it would be a relatively cheap way to see if ,as reported , it could help calm down jerky throttle response in low gears when slow moving/heavy traffic conditions.

Right from the off the smaller sprocket made a significant difference It is now no issue riding a slow speeds in 1/2/3 gears without riding the clutch. I was hoping for some improvement but surprised at the difference. There does appear to be some loss in acceleration when pulling through the gears but not so much as it matters to me; still plenty of of grunt from the engine. All in all I think opting for the taller gearing is a really effective low cost mod.

Anyone who is reading and has no issues with low speed throttle control and no intention of sacrificing any acceleration then fair play to you!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have changed the rear sprocket on my classic from 46T to 44t . The sprocket cost about £31 (inc postage) and pretty straight forward to fit so thought it would be a relatively cheap way to see if ,as reported , it could help calm down jerky throttle response in low gears when slow moving/heavy traffic conditions.

Right from the off the smaller sprocket made a significant difference It is now no issue riding a slow speeds in 1/2/3 gears without riding the clutch. I was hoping for some improvement but surprised at the difference. There does appear to be some loss in acceleration when pulling through the gears but not so much as it matters to me; still plenty of of grunt from the engine. All in all I think opting for the taller gearing is a really effective low cost mod.

Anyone who is reading and has no issues with low speed throttle control and no intention of sacrificing any acceleration then fair play to you!
How is the cruising at speed difference with the change?

·
Registered
20 Posts

Graeme, I did as you did in the front. Going from 15 to 14. (I have not touched the rear and don't plan on doing so). IMHO it makes the bike much easier to ride in the lower gears. The days of babysitting the clutch so you don't land on your ass or stall are over. I also added the slip on termi with the carbon tip and put the full throttle handle bars (I have the Icon) on, but this $40 dollar gearing mod was the best thing I've done so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How is the cruising at speed difference with the change?
Dave
Cruising is definitely more relaxed but still pulls well, seems like a win-win to me on the classic. Not looked at in detail what it speed is at revs but I much prefer the new set up, just feels right. All to do now is have the f/r shear shocks changed and that will be it.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts