Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m fortunate to live somewhere that nice little twisty roads are my norm, but the other day I had to go Interstate roadway to get somewhere quickly, and the wind was blowing me around all over the place. Is the bike light for highway and/or do I just need to ride highway more to get used to it?

Just hit 4,000 miles in the middle of my second season on this bike. It shares time with other bikes but really it’s my primary ride. I’ve actually been riding so much I need a few days in a cage. :)

Ordered a tail tidy / fender eliminator kit and Evotech clutch / brake levers. I have the FT handlebar that I never installed but I’m thinking about it now. I think the issue with my levers isn’t just how far out they are, it’s where they are. I’m used to a lower sport bike handlebar, the FT bar isn’t that low but it’s a bit lower. Between that and the levers it should make a difference.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The bike weight is fine. Not having any sort of air dam, wind screen, or fairing makes riding a Scrambler at highways speeds feel like a pack of monkeys is fighting for grapes in your pockets. I have a windscreen and now there is only one monkey moving about curiously on my helmet.

Let me know how the clutch/brake levers work out, I too feel the stockers are a tad long on the throw.

Reactions: Evotion and Vix

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Not keen on giving riding advice (what do I know FFS!) but make sure you're not fighting the bike if you feel the breeze, relax and let it do its thing and it does feel better. That said after about 130kph I feel like I'm going to fly off the back :).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have you tried riding on something smaller like a CBR250? LOL, now that's being thrown around....

If you were on a 400, I might say that could be a lil' on the light side in terms of weight but the 800+ should be fine.
It's just what it is when you're on a naked bike.... anything over 75MPH pretty much wants to take your head off.

I don't know what helmet you have, but anything that helps with aerodynamics will help too. When I wear the Arai XD-4 with the shade peak catches so much wind on the highway.

Reactions: Vix

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...riding a Scrambler at highways speeds feel like a pack of monkeys is fighting for grapes in your pockets.
Well, I sure haven’t heard THAT one before, LOL. I have a little Dart windscreen, not sure how much was the wind and how much was me being so tense and maybe fighting the wind a bit. I was pretty tired by that point as well. But any day on a bike....well, you know. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not keen on giving riding advice (what do I know FFS!) but make sure you're not fighting the bike if you feel the breeze, relax and let it do its thing and it does feel better. That said after about 130kph I feel like I'm going to fly off the back :).
I’m starting to feel quite sure that’s what it was. I probably need to do it more to get used to it. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried riding on something smaller like a CBR250? LOL, now that's being thrown around....

If you were on a 400, I might say that could be a lil' on the light side in terms of weight but the 800+ should be fine.
It's just what it is when you're on a naked bike.... anything over 75MPH pretty much wants to take your head off.

I don't know what helmet you have, but anything that helps with aerodynamics will help too. When I wear the Arai XD-4 with the shade peak catches so much wind on the highway.
I have an SV650S, not much smaller but weight balance is higher and wow, I can really feel the wind on that one. Yikes!

I have a Shoei RF-1200 and an RF-SR. Was wearing the former when riding the other day. Are those decent with aerodynamics?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I probably need to do it more to get used to it. :)
I totally agree.
I had been riding larger bikes (Multistrada, Diavel, BMW R1200RT, etc) on the freeway and the first few times over 80 mph on the Scrambler felt a bit "raw".
You'll get used to the extra buffeting and accommodate.
I have an 8 mile stretch of fast freeway on my commute and typically take the Multi for that reason, but a few times a month I use the Scrambler and actually it's a nice change. Did it this morning. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, I sure haven’t heard THAT one before, LOL. I have a little Dart windscreen, not sure how much was the wind and how much was me being so tense and maybe fighting the wind a bit. I was pretty tired by that point as well. But any day on a bike....well, you know. :)
I made it up, it's not trademarked, you can use it :encouragement:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've enjoyed the lighter weight of these bikes, but miss the extra weight as we've had some gusty 60kph winds over the couple of days. I could of used AdminBot47's spare monkeys. The extra weight would have been great.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The lower bars do make a huge difference.

My last Scrambler was Full Throttle and it was OK at speed, windy but normal for a naked bike. Then I had an Urban Enduro for a few days while mine was getting serviced and wow, anything above 60mph was noticeably harder work.

Being so upright, you can't lean into the wind and it put all the effort of holding on into my back and shoulders.

My new Scrambler has even lower and narrower bars than the FT and it's sooo much easier at speed. I can comfortably sit at 80-90 now, as I can bend/drop my elbows and let the wind support my chest. Anything over 85, even with the Full Throttle bars and it was almost like being on a lat pull down machine, because your arms are so far apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Dary Fly screen made a nice difference but even more impressive was moving the mirrors to the end of the bars. I couldn’t believe how it smoothed out the air

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've done a few 256 hwy mile rides, having a little gear on the rear and ohlins rear shock helps handling and stability. I did up gear the bike for better top speed and lower revs. Plenty of power at 75mph. I also ride Multistrada, but always find myself pushing the scrambler on some long hauls. Just fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts