Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out for a ride with a mate on his new MS and really had a chance to see what I thought of my Scrambler as have had no chance to ride it since pick up!

I am loving the riding position that the stock bars give and wont be changing them as they work very well for me. The seat I am having no issues with at all after a 2 hr ride on twisty country roads so that stays stock too. The gearbox I find very smooth and no issues at all with false neutrals so am happy there too. The exhaust does not sound bad at all so that is staying until I see an aftermarket double barrel one I like the look off.

This bike is a GOD in those country lanes and loves those bends. Those tires are giving very good grip and I really anjoying the instant throttle to power out of bends and do swift over takes (on that point I need to calm down as did 1 or 2 questionable overtakes). I put the shock to the 2nd position and it feels a little bit better. I wonder if anyone uses it on the softest setting? I do think that my money will go towards a shock though before an exhaust but will wait and see a bit as may get better with a few miles on the clock.

This bike is a keeper and staying with me for good. Looking forward to getting out again when time permits...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree about the twisty bits,it's so light and agile.I think I am actually taking bends faster than I would on my Diavel!
And yes gearbox is silky smooth!
Suspension is pants though! Felt like a pogo stick on some roads,so I will probably invest in something better in due course,
But the seat is a pain in the butt for me.
I am bit of a slim Jim,so no natural padding !
Overall it's a great bike and I think many will hang on to it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree about the twisty bits,it's so light and agile.I think I am actually taking bends faster than I would on my Diavel!
And yes gearbox is silky smooth!
Suspension is pants though! Felt like a pogo stick on some roads,so I will probably invest in something better in due course,
But the seat is a pain in the butt for me.
I am bit of a slim Jim,so no natural padding !
Overall it's a great bike and I think many will hang on to it.
Yep the bike is great except for the suspension. Regarding the seat....I am a slim guy but have always had seats that others considered hard so my butt is likely just adapted to hard seats :)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Thanks for your feedback TC3, I agree , I'm sure this bike is turning me into a hooligan, :rolleyes: the engine and gearbox is just amazing on those country lanes, Just not sure how long my tyres are going to last, But that's the last thing I should worry about, this bike is so much fun, :D And passing manoeuvre's are a breeze :rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have to admit that the scrambler is making me a road bike junkie. Just about every evening I swing a leg over and go rip around.

As much as the bike is great stock, a new set of lower bars really makes it feel even better!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't knock them until you try them. For whatever reason they allow you to change positions on the seat allot better and still remain comfortable.

I think it's the narrower width. Plus they shave like 2lbs from the bike. I think the stockers are made from lead.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah.. aluminum bars are terribly weak. That is why every single mx bike comes stock with them.

Enjoy the stock ape hangers.. just don't try filtering with them. What are they? 4 feet wide?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am also a fan of the stock bars. Filtering is not a problem and I can easily move about on seat for different seating positions.

Different torso length, arm length and injuries etc all play a part in how comfortable someone finds different bars. Guess I'm just stating the obvious

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was only annoyed at the idea that somehow lighter bars were weaker or inferior.

Weight is weight, and if you can shed it, it's a good thing. Aluminum bars are one of THE most cost effective ways to drop weight.
So if you hold the opinion that you should not look towards your bars to save weight.. well, your not looking in the proper places. Cheaper than a lipo battery that is for sure, also a big weight saver.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I was only annoyed at the idea that somehow lighter bars were weaker or inferior.

Weight is weight, and if you can shed it, it's a good thing. Aluminum bars are one of THE most cost effective ways to drop weight.
So if you hold the opinion that you should not look towards your bars to save weight.. well, your not looking in the proper places. Cheaper than a lipo battery that is for sure, also a big weight saver.
You have miss-interpreted, I personally don't like the stock bars and will be changing them out for fat bars (not Full Throttle).
What I said was I wouldn't pick the bars to save weight. I didn't say they were inferior !
Moto crossers are not meant to be ridden at constant throttle where high frequency vibes are present which cause a condition called white finger.
I use Renthals because I like the look but I do know that vibrations are a problem which is why most if not all road bikes have heavy bar-end weights fitted.
Weight is not weight, and no, I'm not looking in the wrong places.
Try to read between the lines before getting 'annoyed' and by the way, I have three competition bikes here and the stock Scrambler bars are 1" narrower @ 33" opposed to 34" Renthal fat bars. So, I don't think knife edge filtering is going to be a problem.
Like I said, I wouldn't look to the bars to save weight.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have to mention that in the past on various bikes when I have changed the bars for what ever reason a lighter weight set of bars would often transmit more vibration then the stock ones. Sometimes a bit thicker heavy weight handlebar can be your friend in the vibration department.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have to mention that in the past on various bikes when I have changed the bars for what ever reason a lighter weight set of bars would often transmit more vibration then the stock ones. Sometimes a bit thicker heavy weight handlebar can be your friend in the vibration department.
A good few years ago I put a set of Renthals onto a Mk1 Vmax, I liked the look and I know they're stronger but even with bar ends I got tingling. I pumped the bars full of silicone, problem solved.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just in case anyone hasn't noticed yet... The bars are rubber mounted...
I thought I had a serious problem when my bars moved but then realised the lower bracket that holds the dash is rubber mounted!

I've never seen this before! So I don't think changing the bars will affect the vibration much at all? I may be wrong?
I guess that's why the scrambler comes with no bar end weights as standard.

On another note... If you are a commuter that has to use dual carriage ways and motorways a lot the wind resistance means you are pulling on the bars slightly... How long before those rubber mounts wear out?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts