Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm about to get one of these two bikes I think. I am not a new rider. I have sat on both bikes and they both 'fit'.

Does anyone have any ownership experience with both these bikes?

I have only seen one Youtube comparison review video, anyone seen any road test comparisons, online magazines or youtube?

Quality of these bikes? The BMW seemed ok but the Ducati felt a bit more substantial.

Yes I know the Ducati costs more.

Yes the ducati weighs more.

I guess I need a test ride huh?

But any comments wrt comparing the two would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Just asking,

what is your main reason to go for a 300-400cc bike? Have you considered other bikes in the same category, like the KTM 390 Duke for instance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reasons are i do not need to go 160mph, light weight, manouverability, fun.

yeah i have considered the others above but am most inclined towards the ducati and BMW

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I am assuming the BMW is much lighter than the Scrambler.

The Scrambler weighs roughly the same as the 803...

·
Registered
211 Posts
You definitely should test ride both, because frankly this is going to come down to personal taste. They are both well engineered, both produced in Asia, both good bikes- I've ridden both.
I think the Ducati slightly takes the edge on component quality.

All other things are subjective. I personally think the BMW looks weird.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You definitely should test ride both, because frankly this is going to come down to personal taste. They are both well engineered, both produced in Asia, both good bikes- I've ridden both.

I like all bikes as a rule but I think this BMW looks toyish or from an up and coming Chinese brand. I'm not saying it's rubbish but has the look of a different market.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I would still be most interested in your first impressions comparison of the two bikes. I know it's subjective but........

·
Registered
43 Posts
The biggest difference is the twin of the Ducati, vs single of the other bikes. That is the difference. There is no comparison between the bikes on this issue. If you like thumpers, you will probably like either the Duck or 310, if you like twins, you will have the Ducati.

The second biggest difference is the look. If you like the new "insect" look, the BMW or KTM will be fine. If you like a motorcycle, the Ducati is the choice.

The dealers promise test drives at KTM and BMW but I have not driven those. I imagine the drive an ride OK. After sitting on both, examining all three bikes, the Ducati is much more refined. Better seating position and ergonomics.

I own a 62. I could have got the bigger duck, but just really really love the look of the Sixty2 in Atomic Orange.

You also have to consider the maintenance on the bikes. When it comes to KTM, I will never buy one because of the electronics and tuning that KTM monopolizes. BMW is similar as well as Ducati, but there is far more aftermarket support for the Ducati Tuning.

KTM CEO took over the Husky Line. My TR650 was made by BMW in the Husqvarna plant. KTM handled much of the logistics in acquiring the brand, but left us TR650 hanging in the wind for about 2 years or so.

So, yes I am biased toward the Sixty2. Has been completely a pleasure to own and drive. If I was broke and didn't care, I would buy the BMW then the KTM would be last choice. Probably would not buy the ktm unless it was a real steal. Crap warranty on KTM, and if something did break under warranty, good luck getting it taken care of.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I rather buy a KTM 390 Duke than a BMW G310R ( both are great bikes for entry level or driving around town ).
Ducati Scrambler is a totally different bike than the BMW G310R, in terms of looks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have personally ridden all three. KTM 390 was my least favorite of the three, all I can say is Cheap!. The BMW just isn't a BMW, a cheap Asian market kinda bike. Now the Ducati felt like a Ducati, not much power. But solid
My wife actually toured on hers for a whole year, 6867 miles trouble free. And handled it with ease. It's basically like it's big bother with less power.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have personally ridden all three. KTM 390 was my least favorite of the three, all I can say is Cheap!. The BMW just isn't a BMW, a cheap Asian market kinda bike. Now the Ducati felt like a Ducati, not much power. But solid
My wife actually toured on hers for a whole year, 6867 miles trouble free. And handled it with ease. It's basically like it's big bother with less power.
then I think you made the decision, WELCOME to the Ducati Scrambler World.
what color do you prefer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts