Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today and the Scrambler stalled on me in first gear on two separate occasions. The first one I put down to one of those things. But twice?
Also since I tightened my chain the bike hasn't felt the same. Among other things it has a tendency to lurch forward down hill under low revs. I don't think I have over-tightened the chain or got the back wheel crooked. I actually took the wheel out for another job and tightened the chain when I put it back in.
Any suggestions on the above two points would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
How tight is it anyway? How much up/down play does the chain have with the bike on the side stand? Is the chain play the same all the way round, or does it change depending on whether you roll the bike a bit forward/aft?

I don't know how many miles you have on your bike. Mine is close to 3000 miles and it needed adjustment only once (quarter turn on the adjusters).

The stalling could be just the "splutter, poof" -flame out-, mine has that too once a week or so.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Max
Just checked. It's between 25-30mm which is tighter than it was (a good 30mm).
I have just over 800 miles on the clock.

Will keep an eye on the stalling. It did start to rain on the way home but I am hoping that was nothing to do with it. The bike started again immediately.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Could be a tight spot, sprockets are hardly ever perfectly round. 25-30mm total slack doesn't seem much actually (but the regular Scrambler needs a tighter chain than the DS)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
25-30mm up from the bottom.

I wonder if that could be why it is pushing me.
Careful with tight chains, 5mm too slack is better than 5mm too tight, I once had oil come out of my drive shaft seal (not the scrambler) as I hadn't noticed a tight spot on my chain which must have caused it to open slightly after I had a passenger on the back. I've only adjusted my chain twice in 7000 miles ( not including tyre change) and I drive the torque hard.
What we need is one of these! Check the mileage and better looking than a xsr.
Screenshot_20180403-165823.png

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think not. Just done 800 miles on my Scrambler after 25 years away from bikes.
It's too much for me but I can't stop twisting the wrist.
Even worse I have a Ron Haslam track day coming up, (my mate says I would benefit from one), and am getting worried.

Will slacken the chain. What do you think. 30-35mm?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think not. Just done 800 miles on my Scrambler after 25 years away from bikes.
It's too much for me but I can't stop twisting the wrist.
Even worse I have a Ron Haslam track day coming up, (my mate says I would benefit from one), and am getting worried.

Will slacken the chain. What do you think. 30-35mm?
Yeah pretty sure mine was around that measurement, ive got my Ron Haslam on the 21st may but would like a few more miles before I go.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers both.

Will let you know how I get on with the chain and track day.

If you don't hear from me after 18th April..........

1 - 20 of 47 Posts