Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post of hopefully many to follow. I really hope the next post will be more positive.
I recently bought a 2015 Scrambler Icon and had it started and running when I bought it off the guy. It was jump started from a car battery at that time.
Now, I brought it home and replaced the dead battery. And it won’t turn over. It just clicks and resets the dash and pump regardless of the battery or boost I try to use.
Some details:
-Bike had sat for 3 years in heated storage.
-When replacing the battery I shorted out the leads like an idiot and caused two fuses to pop. The 30amp in the starter and a 10 amp in the main block. This is what scares me.
Please watch the video and report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I’ve searched the forums quite extensively and tried it with kickstand up, cleaned the ignition switch, checked all terminals, tried a different battery, etc.
The code of SW:11 at the start of the ignition has me searching, but I can’t find anything on that. Same with the next number of 10200.
I’m getting really desperate and worried. It’s going in for dealer service in the spring, but I just can’t wait that long knowing that there’s a starting issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Side note: I know that battery sounds sluggish on the fuel pump start up. This is just because I’ve drained it, but the main issue remains regardless of battery life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The way the dash seems to revert to its startup sequence of lights after pressing the start button suggests to me there's a short somewhere? Maybe check the battery earth?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solved. Thanks all. I’m not sure if it was the retightening of all the connections or the contact cleaner I sprayed, but it fired up.

·
Registered
810 Posts
That is exactly what my bike did with a bad battery.

My battery had recently gone flat, charged it back up and was able to ride around ok for a few weeks but with an occasional issue re-starting the bike at traffic lights, if I stopped it while waiting.

One day, (after a long ride the day before) it just refused to start and did exactly what yours is doing.
I checked the battery voltage and it was fine...
So I was a bit lost.

bought a brand new battery and the bike started up perfect and has been fine since.

it seems the battery can only just provide enough current to start the bike. So if it’s not fully healthy or the right type, the bike prevents the starter motor being used, probably as a safety feature. Stop you burning it out...

Try a fresh battery off the shelf.
187E576D-622C-4251-97C3-724D487E1A5E.jpeg
AE7393FD-8573-41F6-9C8F-CD19D8A852CA.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts