Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have just purchased a new scrambler full throttle 2019 version just over a week ago. From day 1 the front brake/disk makes a screeching noise when i brake to get to a stand still at slow speeds.
At first i thought this might be normal as the break was getting used to the disk so to say, but i’ ve now ridden a few hundred miles and the noise is still there.
Should i bring it in to get it looked at or just wait it out?

Thanks for your help

MDL

·
Registered
982 Posts
Sounds like you need to take it back to the dealer and get them to check the front brake. It is probably dirty or may have a small stone or something in there. If there is s stone there will probably be scoring on the disc itself.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Every single Ducati I've owned has had squeaky brakes, my Dad says the same. We've owned 6 between us.
It's not unheard of... put it down to 'Italian Character...'

It shouldn't be excessive but mine does it a lot when slowing at slow speeds. Seems to do it less after harder riding or when it's hot.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Every single Ducati I've owned has had squeaky brakes, my Dad says the same. We've owned 6 between us.
It's not unheard of... put it down to 'Italian Character...'

It shouldn't be excessive but mine does it a lot when slowing at slow speeds. Seems to do it less after harder riding or when it's hot.

Interesting. Neither of ours have squeaky brakes and in riding regularly with other Ducatis I have not noticed hearing squeaky brakes. The brakes on recent Ducatis are Brembo for the most part and the same as used by plenty of other manufacturers so there is no real reason why Ducatis should have squeaky brakes when other bikes with the same brakes do not.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Interesting. Neither of ours have squeaky brakes and in riding regularly with other Ducatis I have not noticed hearing squeaky brakes. The brakes on recent Ducatis are Brembo for the most part and the same as used by plenty of other manufacturers so there is no real reason why Ducatis should have squeaky brakes when other bikes with the same brakes do not.
Just google ‘Ducati squeaky brakes’ you’ll find hundreds of forums posts on the subject.

Same conclusion 99% of the time... it’s not unusual, even on perfectly performing bikes.
Most believe it’s just pad dust building up on the rotor. Some think it’s pistons not extending equally under low brake pressures.

Both relate the noise to slight vibrations that happen as a result.

Who knows why it’s more common on Ducati’s. It’s sorta known as an overall Italian quirk.

My guess... nearly all ducati’s Are fitted with Brembo’s and maybe they tend to go with racier compounds/disc materials, that generate more dust or perhaps use cheaper piston seals which cause more friction.

Proper race bike brakes squeal like a bitch at low speeds. So my theory is based on dustier pads causing more uneven build up on the disks.

Common suggestions include thoroughly cleaning the disk with brake cleaner or simply performing a few hard stops, using a lot of pressure.

Maybe try those out.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
hi, i have just purchased a new scrambler full throttle 2019 version just over a week ago. From day 1 the front brake/disk makes a screeching noise when i brake to get to a stand still at slow speeds.
At first i thought this might be normal as the break was getting used to the disk so to say, but i’ ve now ridden a few hundred miles and the noise is still there.
Should i bring it in to get it looked at or just wait it out?

Thanks for your help

MDL
I’ve lost count of the number of bikes I’ve had or worked on over the years and if there’s a squeal then there’s something wrong. Either strip it yourself or have it done at the dealer before you potentially damage the disc. It’s unlikely to be dust build up on a week old new bike. An old Landrover maybe.
Ducati brakes do not squeal anymore than anything else. Squealing is usually caused by two metal parts touching while one is resonating and will cause no damage at all but as K1W1 said it could be a foreign body scraping the disc. Road pad friction material rarely causes squealing.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
No copper grease on the back of pads please. (yes I used to do that too)

I don't have a link at hand, and will update this post if I find it. I read an interview with an engineer from one of the large brake (pad) manufacturers and he advised against it. Clean thouroughly, polish or replace the pin, and don't use grease on the back of the pad. None

I have never found grease or anything on the back of my pads in over 20 new bikes...

edit: EBC Brakes

and little video

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Never had a Triumph, but didn't find it on my Sled, FTR (same front caliper btw), BMW's, Hondas.

I tried it myself on my DR650 last year, and didn't make a difference. Still squeaked after a thin layer of copaslip, which I removed afterwards. Cleaned the caliper, made sure the pistons were clean and moved freely and polished the pin. Squaking gone.

I'm not doing it anymore, and just make sure they are clean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just google ‘Ducati squeaky brakes’ you’ll find hundreds of forums posts on the subject.

Same conclusion 99% of the time... it’s not unusual, even on perfectly performing bikes.
Most believe it’s just pad dust building up on the rotor. Some think it’s pistons not extending equally under low brake pressures.

Both relate the noise to slight vibrations that happen as a result.

Who knows why it’s more common on Ducati’s. It’s sorta known as an overall Italian quirk.

My guess... nearly all ducati’s Are fitted with Brembo’s and maybe they tend to go with racier compounds/disc materials, that generate more dust or perhaps use cheaper piston seals which cause more friction.

Proper race bike brakes squeal like a bitch at low speeds. So my theory is based on dustier pads causing more uneven build up on the disks.

Common suggestions include thoroughly cleaning the disk with brake cleaner or simply performing a few hard stops, using a lot of pressure.

Maybe try those out.
I called up the dealer and they said exactly this.
I’ m approaching the 650 miles anyway so will have to bring it in next week, guess ill ask them to have a look at it then just to be sure! Thank you all for your help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts