Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always thought the seat on the Scrambler was out of proportion.
I fell in love with the Mugello seats but I'm not prepared to pay that sort of money for one.
So I finally plucked up the courage to mod the original seat and knocked up some side panels in aluminium to fill the remaining gap.
Will get around to painting them in due course.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wow, I like that much better than the Mugello stuff I've seen, that looks just right. More pictures once they're painted please.

Sarah

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I like that much better than the Mugello stuff I've seen, that looks just right. More pictures once they're painted please.

Sarah
Thanks Sarah, I can't decide how to finish the panels.
My options are to wrap in either camo or carbon wrap, hydro dip or paint.
I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else do this. At the moment it hasn't cost me a penny ( or dime).
The only cost will be on whatever finish I choose, even then it will be a very small outlay.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome work dude. Any tips on making the side panels and how you worked out the cut line on the seat pan.
One tip on the side panel is to remove the silver curved strip to use as a perfect profile for the lower edge,then measure from the very tip at each end of the strip to the top of the rail where the seat sits then scribe a line between the two to give the top edge.
You will have to fettle ,bend them slightly to get the right shape for a good fit.
The lower curved edge I rolled slightly and the top edge is bent over by about 12 mm ( 1/2 ").
As for the seat,I firstly removed the cover,then by eye marked the seat where it sits on the frame rail and scribed a line.
I used a fine toothed saw to cut through the the foam and plastic of the seat pan,then trial fitted,remarked and remove more material . I did this about 3 times to get the line I wanted.Each time I did this I put the cover loosely back to get a real feel for the look.
Hope that all makes sense?
I will try to take some "how to " pictures and post them up here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's my .02, but from an outside perspective, maybe matching the hole size to the Termi heat shields would give it a cool look. The Termi systems always looked so well made to me, it might be cool to carry that over to your filler panels. Again, just my opinion. I think what you have looks awesome and I'll be circling back to see what you decide on! Cheers!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and would you mind sharing what bar end mirrors those are?
Thanks for your input, you may be right about the hole size.
I'm going to carbon fibre wrap the panels and redo the tank panels the same. Easy enough to change if I don't like it. Larger holes will make it easier for me to get the wrap through, so good call.
The bar ends are from eBay, just inexpensive no brand.I have cut the stem down where it attaches to the mirror to make it more compact.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Next time you have that great looking custom seat off the bike, would you mind taking a few photos of the spot where the Termignoni exhaust and the DM Telai rack mount? I was under the impression that you couldn't mount a high and a tail rack together there. Very intrigued. Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's always a way around these problems. I removed the top mount and made a bracket to suit.
I will take some pics for you.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
image.jpeg
Next time you have that great looking custom seat off the bike, would you mind taking a few photos of the spot where the Termignoni exhaust and the DM Telai rack mount? I was under the impression that you couldn't mount a high and a tail rack together there. Very intrigued. Thanks!
It's just a simple L bracket

·
Registered
149 Posts
did you take any pictures of the seat during the cutting process? or a pic of what it looks like on the bottom of the seat now so we can get an idea of what to cut?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, an interesting thread, Now I know its possible to cut the original seat I might have a play with my original seat while using the comfort seat.
I could make some templates up of the side panels if you decide to do the same as me and I will post them to you.I see you are in North Somerset so not too far from me in South Somerset.
PM me and let me know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I could make some templates up of the side panels if you decide to do the same as me and I will post them to you.I see you are in North Somerset so not too far from me in South Somerset.
PM me and let me know.
Thank you, PM sent.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts