Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What seat options are available for the 1100? My a** is killing me everyday on my 38 mile ride to work. Is the seat that comes on the Special anymore comfortable than what comes on Standard 1100? Any after market options that folks here have fitted? Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My experience exactly, though the extreme pain didn't start until I was 80 miles out. I bought a factory "Comfort" seat which is an inch higher (I needed that for my knees) but uses the same firm foam as the regular seat and is no more comfortable to your tush. My final solution was a gel pad (2cm x 2cm x 2cm) inset into the seat foam and allowing re-use of the original seat cover. Gel is somewhat softer than the foam, but the real benefit is that it absorbs engine vibration which I believe was the source of my discomfort. If standard seat height works for you, the gel pad alone could help, if not cure the problem and it's only around $25 (eBay or Amazon). You can find plenty of how to do it videos on YouTube. Done properly, there's no change in outward appearance of the seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a special, the seat is plush enough for me and doesn't ever really make my ass hurt (furthest ride i've done so far is only 160 miles though). my issue with it is that the pillion starts too "close" and I end up wanting to sit on the rise between the main seat and pillion. I want to get a comfort seat since it looks flatter, but it's also ugly imo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the sport seat and the comfort. Sport seat offers a better over-all position as the comfort puts more stress on my wrists (might not be an issue with the icon higher risers though)but for me the comfort is slightly kinder on the rear. That said I've been eyeing one of those mugello seats because neither is truly comfortable or good looking

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have the sport seat and the comfort. Sport seat offers a better over-all position as the comfort puts more stress on my wrists (might not be an issue with the icon higher risers though)but for me the comfort is slightly kinder on the rear. That said I've been eyeing one of those mugello seats because neither is truly comfortable or good looking
I’m just having a Mugello copy made fitted with a gel pad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. Anyone here with a 1100 Sport- how’s the seat?
I have a Sport & the seat is firm not uncomfortable but firm. I have just tried an "air hawk" seat on it to check if I like the slightly higher position & I do, it's a little softer too. I think I will go a comfort seat later.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Personally I can ride all day on the stock seat, but on day two it starts to hurt ;)
If your seat hurts that fast maybe try removing the tool set from underneath the seat. This trick helped a little on the 800.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just added the Mustang Tripper Fastback. I rode for a few hours today on the interstate and back roads to get a good feel for it.It's much more comfortable than the one that came with the motorcycle.

Pros: It feels a little wider and I'm no longer constantly sliding forwards and backwards.

Cons: I wish there was a little more cushion in it. The fit is a little jank. The front clip has enough play to let it slide left and right, and there is a large gap between the seat and the tank.

Here's some photos:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I just added the Mustang Tripper Fastback. I rode for a few hours today on the interstate and back roads to get a good feel for it.It's much more comfortable than the one that came with the motorcycle.

Pros: It feels a little wider and I'm no longer constantly sliding forwards and backwards.

Cons: I wish there was a little more cushion in it. The fit is a little jank. The front clip has enough play to let it slide left and right, and there is a large gap between the seat and the tank.

Here's some photos:
View attachment 45408

View attachment 45409

View attachment 45410

View attachment 45411
Looks and sounds good except for the fit in the front. I would take it up with Mustang if I where you. Friend of mine has one on his 800 and is very pleased with the comfort.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I found an upholstery in Germany (Jungbluth) which rebuilt the seat to my weight and height - and since the time I don't have anymore problems even to go 400km per day. The standard seats Ducati offer are only "Italian style": very stylish but not possible to use!

Have a look:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found an upholstery in Germany (Jungbluth) which rebuilt the seat to my weight and height - and since the time I don't have anymore problems even to go 400km per day. The standard seats Ducati offer are only "Italian style": very stylish but not possible to use!

Have a look:
View attachment 45592
I've had Gerd re-do the seat on my last bike as well as my wife's, so I am familiar with his excellent work. Want him to work on my new seat, too.

Could you send me a few detailed pictures of your seat? That would be great... and by the way, the saddlebags are awesome, what make are they?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cheers for the pictures! 👍 Do you have an idea how much the seat height has been raised?
Great help anyway, also considering the bags. Just started my birthday/christmas-wishlist with them 😉

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Floyd,

the saddle bags are os SWMotech "LC1 Legend Gear" incl. the Ducati SLC Mounting brackets.

Here are the photos - I hope they help you furt View attachment 45688 her.
View attachment 45689 View attachment 45690 View attachment 45691
The seat looks really good & the heat shielding is a great idea. Did you put bar risers on, your handle bars look a little higher than mine? I had to roll my bars forward a couple of degrees for comfort, it was hurting my wrists?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Floyd,

the saddle bags are os SWMotech "LC1 Legend Gear" incl. the Ducati SLC Mounting brackets.

Here are the photos - I hope they help you furt View attachment 45688 her.
View attachment 45689 View attachment 45690 View attachment 45691
Cheers for the pictures! 👍 Do you have an idea how much the seat height has been raised?
Great help anyway, also considering the bags. Just started my birthday/christmas-wishlist with them 😉

Have a look:
View attachment 45592
The seat looks really good & the heat shielding is a great idea. Did you put bar risers on, your handle bars look a little higher than mine? I had to roll my bars forward a couple of degrees for comfort, it was hurting my wrists?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi - my seat height is exactly like before - but the core is no a special two-form stuff which is more hard in the first minute - but on long term rides very comfortable. No comparison to the stuff delivered from Ducati. I changed my handle bar to the one of the "Special" and got it black powder laquered. It is now about 3 cm higher and for me more comfortable to ride at the 1100 Sport.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just put my 1100 sport in for the first service, there was a 1100 standard there when I sat on it the handlebars felt a lot better/more natural position. I will be getting a pair. The sport are too flat for how wide they are so my wrist is not straight causing numbness in my right hand. Did you have the same feeling, is this the same reason you have changed the bars?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am coming from BMWR1200GS side and I wanted to have this upright comfortable riding feeling again - the "sport" bars were too low for my experience. I did not have trouble with my wrists but it was just uncomfortable for me - therefore I changed it. Now I am very happy - and the look is not destroyed at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts