Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up to a year of owning my Scrambler and due the second service - but by the time the year is up I won't have done 7,500 miles. Does this mean I will have to take it in again for the valve checks?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I stand to be corrected but I would think it would be '7500 miles or a year' whichever comes first for the scheduled second service i.e. they'd do the valve checks no matter how many miles less you are.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I stand to be corrected but I would think it would be '7500 miles or a year' whichever comes first for the scheduled second service i.e. they'd do the valve checks no matter how many miles less you are.
That's not making too much sense to me? The service intervals even on Ducati's web site do not mention this at all. Valve adjustments are solely based on "mileage" not "time".

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've been tempted to send in a sample of oil just to get a feel for how long you can go with synthetic if the mileage isn't high. It would be a good indicator for longevity vs. mileage since the standard has been no matter how many miles the oil should be changed at least once a year but I am curious how the life report would come back since I normally only do 3-4K miles in a year.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have done about 6,500 by the time of service so not too far off. I'll ask them anyway when I book it in, just wondered if anyone knew who's had it done :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok have just booked it in and apparently they don't look at valves with this service? They said about 24,000 miles or 36 months .. :icon_scratch: . Well it will save me money anyway :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's weird Littleowl. The way i read the scrambler manual it says check/adjust valve gear every 7500 miles.
I thought 24,000 mile service only applied to the later Water cooled motors....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am thinking just as stavely says. littleowl, you might want to double check, I think the tech is mistaken. Please post back and let us know.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that the Scrambler handbook says that valves should be checked/adjusted basically every service, which is why I queried it. But they are adamant that they don't check the valves till the 36 month service. They said they would if I wanted them to but it would be a long service and very costly - so I will leave it to them .. I guess if they checked valves at every service you would be paying a large sum of money for it each time? I don't feel the need to be paying in excess of £500 ...

What has happened with others who have had their second service?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I took mine in for a bad starter that needed replaced and all they did for the one year was an oil change. The valves are supposed to be at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have mine booked in for the 7500 service which includes valve clearance and have a quote of £300 (couldnt give me a price on the gaskets so add another 20 quid I guess).

·
Registered
965 Posts
On a side note I have decided just for the heck of it to send in a sample of my oil to Blackstone Labs to see what kind of life report I get back from them with the synthetic, I will post the results once I receive them but I have as yet to receive the test kit in the mail.

I figured for the cost of the test it may be a money saving step down the road since I'm guessing many of us don't have high mileage but more time in before the changes. I know that regardless of mileage the one year span is the recommended time for a change but I am just curious on that since I have to drive 40 miles just to have someone reset the service light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts