Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 6000 mile service in September.
The clock is now telling me that I need another at 7500 miles.
Laguna at Ashford tell me that I don't.
Who's right ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It seems you took your 7500 mile service a little early which is why they´d say it doesn´t need another.
I am on my sixth desmo. In my experience i have yet to have a valve check found out of tolerance. That includes a monster 900sie that i got at 20,000 miles and i put 35,000 more on it. Even then it was in tolerance. Maybe i´m just lucky. i´m not saying don´t bother checking them at all but I wont be getting mine checked until 15,000 mile intervals, so first check next year. 7500 miles is nothing.This is a proven engine carried over from a long line of use in monsters. Well, except the poor temperamental clutch.
Oh, imho.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had my 7500 service at 6500 plus one of the valve gaps needed adjusting, did they check your valves or was it just an oil change? What made you service it at 6000?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Had my 6000 mile service in September.
The clock is now telling me that I need another at 7500 miles.
Laguna at Ashford tell me that I don't.
Who's right ?
Thanks in advance.
It has been said many times on here, usually regarding doing the 1st service early that if you service too early then the lamp will come on shortly afterwards as the dealer cannot not put out a light that's not on.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks chaps.
Looking at the paperwork it was the annual service done at nearly 6000 miles.
At the time I questioned a few things that were missed (eg valve clearance) and need to get back to Laguna. Out shopping with SWMBO at the moment.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right. Here goes. My Scrambler had its first annual service at 5,693 miles on 27th September.

From my Owners Manual valve clearance, air filter and frame to engine fasteners (service of all three) are due at 7,500 miles. The other service items are due at 7,500 miles or 12 months (whichever comes first).

Is that right? If so could the above three items have been 'serviced' after 12 months or could everything have been left to 7,500 miles?

That is too late for me now but could be useful in the future.

It still leaves the question why did Laguna tell me that my Scrambler didn't need a service. I will speak to them tomorrow when hopefully someone has confirmed the above or corrected me.

In the Service Booklet Laguna have noted the next one is due after 12 months or 9,000 miles (whichever is soonest)?!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think its due another service now on the valves and fastners and filter...

What would you expect your mileage to be at next Annual service? I would say if its more than 8000 approx you should get it done sooner..

I am suprised dealer did not offer you the valves at the first service..

The 9000 miles for next service they wrote in the book is also wrong - unless you have a Multistrada or similar...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems the Scrambler service is due at 6000 miles according to your sheet. If you can let me have a copy of the full sheet I can use it in my discussion with Laguna.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No scrambler 62 is 6000 miles

I have just this photo - I took it in a dealer - they would have it too..

Partial Desmo Service 7500 miles - full Desmo Service at 15,000 miles
What's the difference between partial desmo and full desmo?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Phil,
Find a dealer who is not trying to rip you off. They completely f%%ked up the 12 month service either accidentally or as a way of forcing you to come back in short order so they could have another crack at your wallet.
The services are due at distance OR time. No exceptions.
Your 12 months service should have had all the items listed as being required at 12 months or 7500 miles done no if no buts.
As to the light the dealer can effectively turn a light off that is not on. When they do the service properly they reset the timer so the light will not come on for either 12 months or 7500 miles from that point regardless of whether it was on in the first place.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Phil, ever thought of calling them? Explain the last service was done before the 7500 mark (they should be able to verify), and if you could ride by and have them reset the service check light?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Phil,
Find a dealer who is not trying to rip you off. They completely f%%ked up the 12 month service either accidentally or as a way of forcing you to come back in short order so they could have another crack at your wallet.
The services are due at distance OR time. No exceptions.
Your 12 months service should have had all the items listed as being required at 12 months or 7500 miles done no if no buts.
As to the light the dealer can effectively turn a light off that is not on. When they do the service properly they reset the timer so the light will not come on for either 12 months or 7500 miles from that point regardless of whether it was on in the first place.
The problem is the three o/s items aren't due at 12 months in the manual, only at 7500 miles. Having said that hopefully they could have been done at 12 months.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The 7500 light comes on at 7500 miles

The service comes on on a date basis... for Oil Service

They are two different systems..

The dealer did the first service based on date... the next service is now due based on mileage..

I am suprised the dealer did not ask if you wanted the Desmo service done at the same time as the service as the mileage was at 6K.. but he did nothing wrong.

From what my dealer told me before they can not reset them until they have come on... the system does not allow it... but they could have done all the work at the 6K service and then reset light later..

However - they may now just charge you for the Valves and Filter and Torque check... not the oil change - but the time difference is probably negligible... just the saving on the oil / filter.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts