Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my break in service today on my Desert Sled. As I was paying I asked how much the next service would be because it would be a valve check. The guy said 'No it isn't' and he took me to a chart which had completely different service intervals to the one in my manual. So my manual says at 12,000 km/7500 miles I need a valve check so a mini Desmo service. The chart says 12,000km/7500 miles is just an oil change. Confused I look on Ducati web site and am invited to enter family, model and year for a download of maintenance schedule only the site returns 'No document found' so now very confused. Have Ducati just decided to double all the service intervals and if so how? What did they change? This is quite a big deal 'cos the Desmo service is not cheap. Any of you know what is going on?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Was the chart he showed from a Scrambler actually? The watercooled engines have a 15k mile interval on the desmo service....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same here on the desert sled 2019 I just went for some led turn signals and ask about the desmo because there is a chart on the entrance with service shedules and says 12,000 km desmo service but asked the mechanic and told me it was wrong that chart was for previous models . The 2019 12,000 km it's a general check oil and filter change,brake adjustment and valve check but only digital scan check. The 24,000 service it's the desmo service. around 1,000 usd. May be less depending on the parts they need to change.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I'm still confused. Changing belts when you "just" check the valves isn't much extra work. You have to undress the bike anyway...

But anyway, only good if they changed the interval to 15k instead of 7.5k

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just had my 12,000 km (7,500 m) desmo/valve check and the shims were in tolerance so no changes made. Is this typical of others at the same service? These engines have been around a while so I would be surprised if they are finding out new mtce routines now. But still, how many other bikes did or did not need the shims changed at 12,000km/7,500m?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I don't know if they charge them separately when they need to change them, but I didn't see any shim mentioned on the bill when mine had its 7.5k service....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am very sorry not to to have taken a photo of the chart. It listed all models including the 800 scrambler but did not differentiate by model year . I am sorry to have confused the Desmo service term but the ECU calls both the valve check and the valve check and belt change Desmo.....the fact is that stripping the bike to get to the valves is expensive. I think it is quite bizarre that Ducati seem to have just doubled the service intervals on an engine that has been around for years. Maybe the concession here in Spain is just plain wrong but they were adamant...12000km so 7500 miles is just an oil change so no expensive strip down until 24000km or 15000 miles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I asked Ducati customer care. Their answer is incredible. They said they do not have a service schedule for the scrambler. They acknowledge that their website which promises 'Transparent service costs' Ducati Maintenance | Services and Maintenance doesn't work for the Scrambler but there you go. I said I found it incredible that they hadn't included their most popular bike and they said 'Well it isn't that popular'. Unbelievable. So I was told that it is the Dealer who has to supply the maintenance schedule....I said but it is Ducati who decide on the intervals, warranty is from Ducati and service compliance is a condition of that contract. Anyway the Dealer says all they have is what is in the manual and that is wrong. What a crock of shite!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absolutely....I thought it was responsible for transforming their bottom line. What riles me is the warranty is a contract with Ducati. A condition of the warranty is to adhere to their service specifications. I can just imagine the difficulty in making a warranty claim if a valve service was missed just because a guy in Seville didn't think it was necessary. It seems such a basic simple question to ask. All they have to do is release a maintenance chart for this really popular bike showing the new service intervals but no they have to make it hard.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All part of the Ducati mystique!

In all seriousness, yeah this is very concerning. In the US I've heard at one point, the scramblers may have accounted for up to 50% in unit volume? And the fact that it's been out since 2015 and they have not figured this interval out definitively...oh right, the mystique...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right I now have a copy of the poster as a pdf. To my reading it clearly shows that the valve check interval is 15000 miles. It is obviously at odds with the manual which shows 7500 miles. This is a big deal for me 'cos I am not made of money and if the valve check is not required then I don't want to pay for it. At the same time I don't want my warranty to be buggered. So would some kind person look at this for me and tell me if I am right that Ducati have increased the expensive valve check mileage requirement for the scrambler? Ta.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m thinking of buying a scrambler and was browsing the forum. The weird thing about the pdf you posted is the definition for 7,500 mile service and annual service is the same. But the labor estimate is almost 3 times as long(1 hr 12 min vs 3hr 12 min). Am I reading it right that the labor units are to be multiplied by the shops hourly rate? So the 600 mile service is 12 units x hourly rate? That could be $1200 if they wanted?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts