Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I am interested in what safety upgrades you are making on your Ducati Scramblers that you would recommend.

I am a relatively new rider, with less than 6 months of experience and about 1k miles under my belt (most of which were on a Suzuki DR-Z400). I have completed the MSF basic rider course, spend decent time in parking lot practice and am currently reading the book "Proficient Motorcycling". Currently rocking an all white Shoei RF-SR full face helmet and abiding by ATGATT.

That said - are there any safety modifications you guys are making to the Scramblers that you would recommend? I am specifically looking at the Signal Dynamics Back OFF XP brake light flasher module and Denali Sound Bomb horn. I know safety mostly resides between a rider's ears but curious if there are any other simple upgrades to stack the odds more in the rider's favor.

Curious to hear your thoughts and input.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys - I am interested in what safety upgrades you are making on your Ducati Scramblers that you would recommend.

I am a relatively new rider, with less than 6 months of experience and about 1k miles under my belt (most of which were on a Suzuki DR-Z400). I have completed the MSF basic rider course, spend decent time in parking lot practice and am currently reading the book "Proficient Motorcycling". Currently rocking an all white Shoei RF-SR full face helmet and abiding by ATGATT.

That said - are there any safety modifications you guys are making to the Scramblers that you would recommend? I am specifically looking at the Signal Dynamics Back OFF XP brake light flasher module and Denali Sound Bomb horn. I know safety mostly resides between a rider's ears but curious if there are any other simple upgrades to stack the odds more in the rider's favor.

Cheers
Headlight modulator, Signal Dynamics, Kriss, & others have them. They get the attention of ccar & truck drivers coming toward you, especially at intersections.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Make sure the denali sound bomb is the full size. The smaller one is not loud. I also use a brake light modulator (I have the one from Healtech on my 2020 CR).

·
Registered
60 Posts
One of the biggest risks is from the rear.

These are a great addition to the rear, I had them on my last BMW RT:

Denali and Clearwater also make versions that are part of the license frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For my Scrambler 1100 Special I installed Vizi-Tec Supabrake III brake light modulator. It's the best modulator I've found since it's totally programmable for different flashing patterns and duration. It's also plug and play with no cutting wires or soldering.

Here's a link to my video on YouTube on how it works:

I also installed Darla LED lights on the front forks from Clearwater Lights. They aren't cheap but they are super bright for the size and I even tapped them into my horn so whenever I press the horn button the Darla lights will flash max output. If you are proficient with electrical/mechanical work then you can install them yourself like I did for my bike.

Here's a video of my LED turn signals and the Clearwater lights:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Assume that every other person or animal on or near the road including other bike riders, pedestrians and kids playing on the sidewalk is a homicidal moron who is out to kill you in the most unexpected way possible and you will then have the correct attitude to survive riding a motorcycle. This level of alert has kept me alive and pretty safe for close to 50 years so i speak from experience.
Safety equipment like blinking brake lights and hi viz clothing simply gives riders a false sense of security. A distracted driver playing with their phone is not going to notice a blinking brake light.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Cheers
I add the safety to myself: reflective tapes on my helmet and a reflective vest. I've never seen myself, but my riding buddies were impressed about how visible these things made me and are taller signs than additions to the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The multi blink setting can be a bit annoying, but isn't that the point? Anything that could possibly grab their attention is a plus. (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts