Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So plagued by the super lean condition and twitchy throttle I decided to pick up the shift tech booster plug. It basically makes you run richer by making the bike think it's colder out. .
Install was stupid easy. Umbolt tank, lift up a tad and plug the booster unit inline. I ran the temp sensor put under the headlamp and secure with zip tie.

I didn't expect much and starteD it up. It started the same with about two cranks. Immediately I could smell that it ran richer. On the road.. I'll be damned, it works!! The throttle is WAY smoother and the bike sounds a little deeper.

Best of all, it reduces that jump when you first apply a little throttle. The jump isn't a big deal when driving around the city or anything. But if you start pushing the scrambler to its limits in the turns...let's just say my pegs are pretty scrapped up... the sudden jolt of throttle I'm the corners really males for an abrupt weight shift.. which does NOT inspire confidence.

So does it make the bike seem like an awesome and smooth power machine? No. Am I going to leave the gsxr at home and take the scrambler to the track? No.

Does it make the bike smoother and run better in general? Yes. Worth $150? Absolutely!

Give it a try, install is child's play and they offer a 30 day money back guarantee

Happy riding

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Useless... These things have been around forever - it's the "snake-oil" of the motorsports industry.

A complete fantasy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
This kind of stuff has been around the automotive world for years. It is a resistor that splices into the intake air temperature sensor circuit (either in series to make it a higher resistance or it just bypasses the sensor all together and gives a fixed reading) to make the ECU think the intake air is colder than it really is. Unless your feedback (o2 sensor) system has been disabled it wont make enough difference to matter. The ECU will detect any extra fuel (lack of oxygen actually) in the exhaust and compensate by leaning the mixture. More advanced ECU's will learn over time that the IAT sensor is reading too cold and permanently compensate it warmer, rendering the resistor 100% useless instead of the normal 99% useless.

But you keep thinking whatever you wish, ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have YOU tried it on the scrambler?

No.. so how would you know if it made any difference?

The scrambler sensor isn't some auto learning chip like advanced ones in modern cars.

All this coming from a guy with an auto oiler installed on his bike. It's not a chainsaw... ever hear of an o ring chain?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Don't need to, I know what it does - and also have more than adequate knowledge of how the FI on the scrambler works. The O2 sensors are there to monitor lean or rich conditions in the exhaust stream and will adjust accordingly. Simple as that.

And for your info, o-ring chains need external lubrication too - especially if you ride your bike more than around the block.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There seems to be some mis-information here.

These types of systems that fool the bike to think it's colder out have been around a while, that much is true.

They are not, however a placebo. Had one on my Diavel with Comp Werkes slip on and it transformed the bike. Not in my head. On the Dyno.

Tonyjuliano is right in that the bike compensates for certain types of plug-in fuel enrichment systems, but not this one. If you know anything about the guys at Shift Tech, you understand that they are serious Ducati tuners and aren't going to soil their reputation by selling something that's doesn't work.

I'm happy to hear that it improves the fueling. Just be careful long-term as the bike may run rich now (as did my Diavel) at certain RPM's.

Ultimately, this is a band-aid...an alternative to getting a (much more expensive) custom tune but it's not snake oil, a hoax or anything of the sort and is a viable option, as long as you understand its limitations.

·
Registered
342 Posts
This particular booster i believe works in tandem with the bikes original sensor not by overriding it completely. It richens the mixture which will improve Idle and just off idle. The mixture is rich when initially ACCELERATING which tends to smooth the jerkiness as pdx is finding. But the bikes original sensor takes over at CONSTANT throttle like when on the motorway freeway etc and leans the mixture down. Best of both worlds.
Not all "boosters" work the same.Look for one with its own sensor not just an inline resistor to the bikes original sensor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah.. I wondered why it had its own temperature sensor.. not just using the stock one.

I told.myself last night...ok, maybe a placebo affect... and took the bike out.

I tried to get the throttle jolt to kick in...just wouldn't do it. Honestly should be the first upgrade to the bike IMO..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have you had a chance to see what it's done to fuel economy? I don't find my bike to be that unsmooth to ride and it's getting about 50mpg. I'd hate to install something to make it feel a bit better but then get 40 or less MPG as a side effect. It'd be interesting to find out how it works since it has that discreet temperature sensor. It seems more complicated than a resistor (maybe a variable resistor based on the temp sensor.)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Silverluxe i believe it only has a significant effect when idling/just off idle, and on initial acceleration, so i suspect as we spend most our time accelerating or on constant throttle it'll be just 1 or 2 percent.
Even if it affects the overrun a tiny percent of f""kall is still f""ckall.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have any idea how it would affect mpg... but as Stavely said.. probably not much. As a rule, I don't pay attention or give a rip about fuel economy on my.motorcycles...

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
It's good that members are willing to try different things on their bikes, it helps us all in the long run , well done pdx- if it works for you and you're happy with it that's all that matters,
I'm sure it could help others out there too :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Word. Haters gunna hate, period.

The thing works, and works well. Hell of a lot cheaper than a power commander, dyno, and tune which I was going to do instead.

Thats just money I can spend on the new track bike :)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Dude, don't get all "**upset", just trying to save some of the lesser-informed from throwing their money away.

Do yourselves a favor and research these things - you'll see that, at best, they are a "band-aid" on open loop FI systems, and pretty much useless on closed loop systems (like the Scramblers).

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wonder, on the other hand, will an O2 controller work?
I had it for my MT09, and it addressed lean out situations and smoothed out transitions

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I wonder, on the other hand, will an O2 controller work?
I had it for my MT09, and it addressed lean out situations and smoothed out transitions
Yep, those will work - as they address what REALLY is a major contributor to fueling control in a closed loop system - the feedback from the exhaust system. But I've never seen a "stand-alone" O2 controller, only those that work in conjunction with a fuel map "replacement" product such a the Dyno-Jet.

Ducati has historically made it very difficult to alter the ECU's control over fueling, the only reliable and effective solution I have ever seen work on a Ducati is a reflash.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Actually I was just talking to kevxtx from MT forum and asking him if he will be making his controllers for Scrambler
Unfortunately we were oceans apart as he is based out of Australia
His controller works inline with the O2, sort of "overwriting" the signal back to the ECU to richen things up, and it worked wonderfully on my MT09

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.