Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm just half way through doing my first shim check and change and thought other users might find this spreadsheet useful. Just remember to use negative values as they appear in the calculations and the final new shim size will be correct. I've used a value of 0.05mm as a figure for calculating exhaust closer recommend clearance. This allows you to go a bit either side depending on shim size availability. Any comments are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update on the whole process now the bike is back together and running well. The most stressful part is removing the fuel tank, trying to disconnect the fuel lines without damaging the pump outlet. Next time I'll take time to loosen the routing for both vent hoses that come down by the headstock to the vapour canister and down to the bellypan. If you can get some slack in them it allows you to lift the tank higher when trying to detach the quick connectors from the pump. I found it hard to mark the position of the horizontal cam pulley against the housing when at tdc, there's nowhere to put a mark, until I realised that I can lock the pillows at tdc by removing the access screw in the camshaft cover and inserting an Allen key or buy the locking tool. Apart from really tricky access to get to the shims I'd say just take your time and double check everything. I did buy a cheap second hand 2 valve cylinder head from a breaker so I could practice shim measurement and changing from the comfort of my settee until it became easy, I'd say it was invaluable when I came to do it for real. In conclusion I'm pleased I went to the effort of doing it myself as I think I've got a much deeper knowledge of how the bike works now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts