Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got myself a black coloured wrap (fibre glass) for my FT. Decided to do it myself....for a first timer... I believe that I did a decent job, could have been better.

So to start i removed the top shield from the exhaust from the rear cylinder. From that point on I realised that it would be difficult to wrap the whole of the rear exhaust as the battery and the air box was in the way and I did not want to remove that in order to fit it, so i started the wrap just distal to the sensor on the rear exhaust. I was able to do the front exhaust easily, all i had to do was remove the 4 springs.

I did wet the wrap in cold water.

So finished the wrapping and stood back to enjoy the work... and thats when it started. The intense ITCHING, i had forgotten to wear any kind of protective gear (i.e disposable gloves) and the itching would not go even after washing with soap, swarfega, and applying moisturiser.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I finally broke down and ordered some wrap as well. . Now that it has been on for a while can you say if you have noticed any differences?

Any info would be a great help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally broke down and ordered some wrap as well. . Now that it has been on for a while can you say if you have noticed any differences?

Any info would be a great help.

Thank you.
I have not noticed any significant difference. Apart from the bike looking cool. :) It stinks a lot during the first few days and gives a lot of smoke for the first few rides. then it is fine.

Although the black colour seems to start to fade to a more grey tone. (Probably because I bought cheap product on eBay)

REMEMBER to wear gloves when installing these and keep all the springs in a box as they have a tendency to get lost. Happened to me and I had to order a single spring from ducati.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been the proud owner of many bikes and none of them had their exhausts or the header pipes wrapped and none of them had any issues. This is the first bike that I have the exhausts wrapped and as far as I can tell the wrap serves only one purpose, i.e looking cool. Regarding humidity retained in the wraps...i am not too sure about it as its only been a few weeks and I have not removed the wraps. There may may be others in this forum who will differ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Typically even stainless steel will get rust on it under header wrap. If you ride in the rain it will happen pretty quick too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts