Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know the side stand bolt is too short due to the recall - It's a 25mm threaded section and should be 30mm (there's plenty of thread in the engine case). However I now think the rear set mounting bolts are too short - they are a bushed bolt that is 40mm long but they should be 50mm long IMO. They screw directly into the engine case like the side stand bolt. I've had one thread go (not stripped - just pulled away) at 7,000 km. I'm going to replace the fancy rear set bolts with a standard 50mm long cap head (hi tension or SS) and a 20mm bush. See below for some pics.

Bolts and bush
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Stripped case thread (rear set front one is stripped - side stand one is ok).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
We know the side stand bolt is too short due to the recall - It's a 25mm threaded section and should be 30mm (there's plenty of thread in the engine case). However I now think the rear set mounting bolts are too short - they are a bushed bolt that is 40mm long but they should be 50mm long IMO. They screw directly into the engine case like the side stand bolt. I've had one thread go (not stripped - just pulled away) at 7,000 km. I'm going to replace the fancy rear set bolts with a standard 50mm long cap head (hi tension or SS) and a 20mm bush. See below for some pics.

Bolts and bush

Stripped case thread (rear set front one is stripped - side stand one is ok).

Good catch on the bolts.
But just to be clear,

The side stand recall bolt screws into nothing other than the side stand itself. It goes through the outer part of the yolk and tightens into the other side, the lock nut is then tightened onto it.
The old bolt threaded part measures exactly 14.91mm.
The new bolt thread part is 17.22mm.
IMG_0190.JPG

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've fixed this by using some longer stainless steel bolts - 10mm x 40mm caphead and 10mm x 50mm mushroom head for the side stand and rear set respectively. I cut some 10mm ID S/S tube as a bushing (20mm long) and used some large S/S washers. I trimmed 3 mm from the 40mm long bolt for the side stand mount and 8mm from the 50mm bolt. In my opinion this is a better set up that the original bushed bolt as my bush/washer rotates allowing precise torqueing. The OEM combination bush/bolt/washer binds on the rubber damper making it hard to judge the torque needed. The new bolts wound snug right into the engine case (including the one threaded hole that was partially stripped) and the rearset feels secure. You can't even notice the difference from the side.

Pictures are here. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts