Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
I can't say for definite but most other Ducati FI systems run at 3 Bars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't say for definite but most other Ducati FI systems run at 3 Bars.
Cheers for the info Derek I'm going to be running my 20k miles scrambler on twin 39.5mm flat slides dellortos and a straight through exhuast by sc .i can buy a malpassi fuel pressure regulator to carb conversion gizmo which reduces the pump pressure down to 1.5 psi and sends the rest of the fuel back to the tank cheers Bryan.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Cheers for the info Derek I'm going to be running my 20k miles scrambler on twin 39.5mm flat slides dellortos and a straight through exhuast by sc .i can buy a malpassi fuel pressure regulator to carb conversion gizmo which reduces the pump pressure down to 1.5 psi and sends the rest of the fuel back to the tank cheers Bryan.
Would gravity feed not be an option or are the carbs going to be too high ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would gravity feed not be an option or are the carbs going to be too high ?
I would like to keep the stock tank with the built in fuel pump so that the fuel warning light and trip counter still work and the fuel pump will also act as a stop cock when its not running

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wondered why you wanted to know what pressure the injection ran at when you are switching to carbs!
The pressure regulator is on the return side. If you bypass the regulator inside the tank you will have a similar setup to the old carbed 900ss, where the pump provides a flow but little pressure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting
I'm thinking of doing same but for opposite reason, I want to get rid of dash and all the lectric wizzardry, manual taps with reserve position for this black duck, can make reserve any amount. On my Guzzi I have different amounts R&L, on Duc that'd be H&V. Kind of 2 warning system.
But I need bigger tank first & foremost, reserve light or switch two hours run time is ridiculous in Australia (or anywhere as far as I'm concerned)
Do post up pics etc please
Where do the flat slide dell ortos come from ? 40mm round slide PHM commonplace

·
Registered
764 Posts
... I want to get rid of dash and all the lectric wizzardry,...
How are you going to make the sparks?
It would be easy to leave the ECU in place but not use the injection part of it but that would require the dash to enable the immobiliser function.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wondered why you wanted to know what pressure the injection ran at when you are switching to carbs!
The pressure regulator is on the return side. If you bypass the regulator inside the tank you will have a similar setup to the old carbed 900ss, where the pump provides a flow but little pressure.
I did not know that but I don't want to get too involved in what goes on in the tank I still have to find out what pressure the curbs run best at and I think a manual adjustable relieve valve hidine under the tank is easyer plus I might need to swop back to injection for MOTs

·
Registered
764 Posts
Will your Malossi regulator cope with 3 bar of pump pressure?

·
Registered
54 Posts
How are you going to make the sparks?
It would be easy to leave the ECU in place but not use the injection part of it but that would require the dash to enable the immobiliser function.
Ideally with contact breakers !!
But seriously using existing trigger and "normal" amplifier box (myecu one?) far easier that current conundrum with dash.
Still trying to find a way to run EFI without speedo/immo/ bloody flashing ABS light etc etc. Removing the ABS pump would be nice too
Has to be possible, just need to find the right geek.

Even if I ran dash and ECU with carbs (as OP ) I have a feeling dash will have a proper hissy fit cos EFI not EFIing, maybe just another warning light, maybe a system meltdown.
Hopefully Bryan lets us know soon.
Why does MOT care if carbs or EFI ? Last MOT I got was before EFI was common (actually only on 851's then !)
Can only be CO2 test, jets'll fix that

·
Registered
205 Posts
I dunno...forgot you guys have yearly MOT. Not confident the carbs will pass 2015 onwards emissions regs. Don't let me put a dampner on it tho.
That said, you guys would have the same issue with a Termi map so what would I know....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to keep every thing in place and wired up with my injectors shrink raped and tucked up under my tank the high pressure fuel line that went to the injectors will have a govner put on it and be sent on its way to the carbs at low pressure .when you first turn on your key your fuel system is pressurerissed but you motor is not running so the shunt by pass valve opens and returns fuel back to the tank so your fuel pump does not get damaged I may eliminate this valve but keep it wired up I will experiment and see how it wil unveil ass for the spark I think that it will stil spark because it still Sparks when your out of fuel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dunno...forgot you guys have yearly MOT. Not confident the carbs will pass 2015 onwards emissions regs. Don't let me put a dampner on it tho.
That said, you guys would have the same issue with a Termi map so what would I know....
An MOT in England has a lot to do with who you know but one thing is for Shure no loud pipes so you just put stock back on for the test

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ideally with contact breakers !!
But seriously using existing trigger and "normal" amplifier box (myecu one?) far easier that current conundrum with dash.
Still trying to find a way to run EFI without speedo/immo/ bloody flashing ABS light etc etc. Removing the ABS pump would be nice too
Has to be possible, just need to find the right geek.

Even if I ran dash and ECU with carbs (as OP ) I have a feeling dash will have a proper hissy fit cos EFI not EFIing, maybe just another warning light, maybe a system meltdown.
Hopefully Bryan lets us know soon.
Why does MOT care if carbs or EFI ? Last MOT I got was before EFI was common (actually only on 851's then !)
Can only be CO2 test, jets'll fix that
I had forgotten about the MyECU option, although I don't think I'd like go there myself.
Thinking about the stock ECU. It will expect a signal from the TPS. The ignition advance as well as the fuel is determined by the throttle opening and engine revs calculated from the crank sensor. The dash will show errors if the injectors or any of the sensors are missing.

·
Registered
764 Posts
An MOT in England has a lot to do with who you know but one thing is for Shure no loud pipes so you just put stock back on for the test
No emissions tests for bikes here though, yet. I don't know what you get in England though ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Derek
I've used myecu box before, easy, programmable and works but plenty of others do same.
Agree re tps, will be running ig advance as if throttle closed without it, need to see map to know where that is at 8K rpm
TPS on carb not so difficult, only needs to be on one, not silly anyway, Keihan flat slides off MX bikes already have them and are cheap & plentiful

Bryan-- good call about sparking when you run out of fuel, we haven't bothered looking, just push the thing to fuel station!!!!
You may have answered your own question re keeping trip and countdown, I think it may show no miles left all the time, that "brain" has to know no fuel is getting to injectors, you can "fool" the pump some of the time.............. Good luck

No annual test here at all, only if ownership changes do you need a test, then often more than cars are worth, bikes notsomuch but same, only noise is issue not carbs or EFI not even co2 here.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It's the same test as Scotland.
Emissions are not measured as part of a bike MOT test, (yet). If an exhaust has 'not for road use stamped' on it then it will not pass a test. If it is secure and sound but makes the testers ears hurt then it should fail, however it is at the discretion of the examiner. They are talking about using a decibel meter in the future but not all buildings have the same acoustics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts