Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping someone can help put my mind at ease.

I've put about 2,500km on my Sixty2 so far. But I'm getting frustrated by a clattering sound coming from the top end of the engine that seems to have got progressively worse since the 1,000km service.

Anything below 4,000rpm, there is a really faint ticking noise which I assume is just the Desmos at work. But as soon as I hit 4,000rpm on up, I'm getting a seriously loud clattering sound - to the point that it all but drowns out the (admittedly pretty quiet) engine and brings increased vibration through the foot pegs.

It's not a gradual increase in noise - it gets immediately and dramatically louder at almost exactly 4,000rpm.

This is my first Ducati, so I'm not really familiar with what Demso flutter should sound like and this all might just be relatively normal. But I'm finding it really distracting when riding, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Or should I go get it checked out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I wanted to hold off replying until I had an answer to what was wrong. To cut a long story short, I've now been to the dealer here in Bangkok 4 times - the bike's spent a total of about a month in the workshop - to no avail. They told me that they'd made some adjustments to the valves and timing chain. But there's been no improvement.

And then since the valve adjustment, another weird noise has popped up. It's a really faint metallic scraping noise coming from the engine (it sounds like it's coming from around the clutch area, but it's hard to be sure). It's only really audible in the 3800-4200 rpm range.

On top of that, I noticed the other evening that both exhaust headers were running red hot after a short commute (about 12km, but through heavy traffic). I asked the chief mechanic at Ducati, who reckons "it's normal" for the headers to be red. But that frankly sounds like crap. I'm really running out of patience - anyone got any ideas about what the issue might be? Or what the best course of action might be if Ducati refuse to recognise the issue?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Thinwall stainless headers do glow red very easily. My BMW R1100GS did it, and does my DR650SE. Especially when when idling, or near idling slow traffic.

You should focus on getting rid of the scraping noise, the exhaust glowing is not a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinwall stainless headers do glow red very easily. My BMW R1100GS did it, and does my DR650SE. Especially when when idling, or near idling slow traffic.

You should focus on getting rid of the scraping noise, the exhaust glowing is not a problem.
Thanks mate. Don't suppose you have any ideas on what might be causing it?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Is the scraping left or right side? (Feel with a screwdriver held against the engine and you cheek near your ear). I figure right side.

Does it change if the clutch is pulled or not?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the scraping left or right side? (Feel with a screwdriver held against the engine and you cheek near your ear). I figure right side.
Haven't had a chance to use the screwdriver yet, but I had a closer listen and I'd say it's about the same on both sides. Actually seems to be coming from around the base of the cylinder block, but again it's pretty hard to tell for sure...

Does it change if the clutch is pulled or not?
No, it's the same whether clutch is in or out. But it really only becomes noticeable after the engine really warms up – maybe after 5-10mins of riding.

Here's a quick recording I took that might make it a little easier.
The audio quality is kinda bad and the noise is really faint, but if you pay attention around 0.39 I think you'll hear what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Like a metallic, metal sliding noise? Can't really hear it tbh.

Tell your dealer, share your concern, and have them take a listen. You already did that. It could be as simple as the heat shield on the exhaust header, valves out of specs, or a belt roller bearing making a bit of noise. Who knows.

These Ducatis are a bit noisy anyway, because they are air cooled, they have no water jacket, so it could even be just normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like a metallic, metal sliding noise? Can't really hear it tbh.
Yeah it's more a sliding than a scraping I guess. A little like sandpaper running gently over a metallic surface. It's more pronounced in real life, especially with a helmet on to cut some of the engine noise. But it's not overwhelmingly loud. Really it's just annoying. Especially because the noise wasn't there at all before the valve/timing adjustment...

These Ducatis are a bit noisy anyway, because they are air cooled, they have no water jacket, so it could even be just normal.
You're probably right. I'm just surprised by how bad the engine sounds overall - way less smooth than anything I've ridden before. When the bike's still cold everything sounds nice and tight, but once it warms up it all sounds like it's falling apart...

Anyway, appreciate you taking the time to help. I guess I'll just keep riding it till it gets worse - then it might be a bit easier to diagnose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:

So I went back to Ducati and they agreed there was a scraping noise. They found a problem with the camshaft bearings (said it was a manufacturing issue) and swapped them out, and now it's all sorted - no more scraping.

The initial (possible) problem I posted about still isn't resolved though - still getting a really loud clattering sound and significant vibrations around the 4k rpm mark. I've taken 2 videos: the first is about a minute after I fired up the bike this morning - all sounds fine. The second one is when the engine was nice and hot after a 12km commute on the way home - again, the mic in my phone doesn't do it full justice, but there's a pretty major difference in the engine note that I hope comes through when you listen to both clips back to back.

VID 1:

VID 2:

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
When you’re engine is cold I hear the same sounds and I do own the sixty 2.. however I do hear a different sound when the engine is warm in that video at .4 seconds again at .6 seconds and really bad starting at .19 seconds and stays for about 4-5 seconds. I believe out of all the things making noises each making their own pitch.. the weird noise is the highest pitch noise. Like a clapping or repeated smacking.. like I took a wheel full of hands and were turning the wheel fast against half frozen pig meat. Slap slap slap slap slap.. that is the sound you should pay attention to. I have no idea what it could be sorry but just wanted to pinpoint just which noise is off for you from someone that owns the same bike. I hate to say go ask your dealer.. because I hope for answers.. not just the obvious advice of go to your dealer from people.. but go to the dealer and say it’s confirmed that this high pitched noise isn’t the way it’s supposed to sound.btw Id be more than happy to give you videos of my sixty2 engine when both cold and hot for comparison. Just adds to the proof for you that somethins amiss when you see that dealer. Just msg me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ps I’m sure you already saw a dealer as your post is old but just wanted to offer help and confirm your suspicions. Still running like that with the noise? Experience problems since? I feel like I have read a lot of stories about Ducati manufacturer screw ups when people buy fresh scramblers or scrambler sixty2’s. I bought a brand new one and drover her home only to be pulled over by the police the next day when I drove around because my daytime headlight wasn’t on. Boy was I heated as I had just spent 8k which took me 2 years to save up.. that’s a large amount of money for me.. so much so that I had to smoke 3 cigs right after I wrote it outside of the front door of the dealership and I don’t even smoke.. (I felt sick after).. so yeah I was pissed and took it back to the dealership and there was some electrical issue.. they fixed it up and that’s great.. then the preload kept bouncing between 2 settings.. the weirdest thing.. but anyhow that is cleared up now too. Maybe it’s not just Ducati but something everyone deals with when they buy a brand new bike?? I don’t know., it’s my first new bike..
I hope you have had a problem free year of riding though since your posts!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2019 Sixty2 three months old and about 1600km on the clock.

After reading your post I have also noticed a “clatter” type noise on start up, it doesn’t sound healthy and as you I am in Bangkok so may have to take a trip to Viphavahdi dealership.

However I won’t be able to update for about a month as I am off to work overseas.

When I’m back maybe we can meet up and compare issues and possible solutions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts