Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I got my new Zard slip-on exhaust, so that's great for me :)
What isn't so great, is that I haven't figured out how to remove the OEM exhaust from my Sixty2. :(

In theory, it should be quite easy: remove the screw connecting the muffler to the rear swingarm, remove the screw connecting the catalytic converter from the other side of the swingarm, and the two springs holding the pipes coming out of the converter and are inserted in the exhaust pipes coming both cylinder heads.
Then remove the exhaust assembly,

That's in theory.
In practice, after disconnecting the two bolts and removing the springs - the assembly has a bit of wiggle but it will not disconnect from the exhaust pipes coming from the cylinder heads.
I used quite a bit of muscle, but I don't want to break anything so I stopped trying and reconnected everything for the time being.

Any suggestions from experienced exhaust replacers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Get a rubber mallet and tap it gently (or increasingly not gently, if it doesn't want to move at first) in a rearward direction. Sometimes the abrupt "pop" of being tapped with a mallet will work it loose quite easily - much more so than constant pressure will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering if you were able to get the Zard slip-on installed on your Sixty2? If so, how do you like it?
Hi Scramblino.
I took it to a friend's garage as he has a motorcycle lift and did it there.
He's a mechanic, so he did most of the job and it took about 10 minutes start to finish :)
He started by using a mallet to take it off, but eventually also had to remove the exhaust pipe from the front cylinder in order not to whack the s**t out of the original exhaust...

I love the Zard sound, but it seems like after installing some engine tweaking is required as it does have some misfires and backfires...
I read on another thread that Booster Plug is used to solve this, but I know very little about this solution.
If anyone here can give me some info about it - I'll be very thankful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts